Usps on envelope arriving empty

2»

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:
    Was that a bubble wrapped package inside a paper envelope? What was the item? A slab or roll?

If sending slabs I usually wrap them in bubble pack to get the package at least an inch thick. Sometimes it's helpful to put the label on first if the package is too thick. I've sent stuff to the IRS that way too. It lets one print the label and get free tracking too.

FWIW www.paypal.com/shipnow is now pirate ship.

You can't send 1st class letter of it's an inch thick.

I don't use a 1st class letter, I use a bubble pack envelope. I have gotten regular letter sized mail with a check where the label was a like an eBay/PP printed one. The USPS people just let it go through. I guess it beat waiting in line at the PO to buy tracking.

But this thread is about a 1st class letter.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:
    Was that a bubble wrapped package inside a paper envelope? What was the item? A slab or roll?

If sending slabs I usually wrap them in bubble pack to get the package at least an inch thick. Sometimes it's helpful to put the label on first if the package is too thick. I've sent stuff to the IRS that way too. It lets one print the label and get free tracking too.

I don't use a 1st class letter, I use a bubble pack envelope. I have gotten regular letter sized mail with a check where the label was a like an eBay/PP printed one. The USPS people just let it go through. I guess it beat waiting in line at the PO to buy tracking.

That's not what I read in the OP.

theknowitalltroll;
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:

Ebay Standard mail is a 1st class letter, not a package.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:>

What does this statement mean?

GrandAm :)
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@MasonG said:

@Herb_T said:
    When I ship coins of any value, say >$500, I put the coin in a padded envelope, put bubble wrap around the padded envelope. Put this in a box and put the box in another box. Packing tape all around both boxes. This is close to how Heritage sends coins out, wrapper in a wrapper….or box in a box.
    If you try to save a few bucks on wrapping and postage, it will bite you in the ass!

eBay standard envelope is for items valued at $20 or less. Your packaging system is overkill for something like that.

I've shipped hundreds (at least) of coins by eBay standard envelope in a corrugated mailer inside a standard #10 envelope with no reports of damage.

Might be overkill, but the coin will arrive.

Actually, the sale would never be made. Buyers won't pay what it costs to ship that way for a $10 coin. And, to repeat, I've shipped hundreds (at least) of coins by eBay standard envelope in a corrugated mailer inside a standard #10 envelope with no reports of damage.

@amwldcoin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:

Well the OP clearly shows a damaged bubble pack envelope so his description as an "ebay standard envelope" is in error.

theknowitalltroll;

@GRANDAM said:

@BAJJERFAN said:>

What does this statement mean?

If I wanted to send you a coin that did not involve an eBay or PP transaction, I could print a shipping label using www.paypal.com/shipnow. That service has now been changed to Pirate Ship. IMO it's easier to use than USPS Click n Ship.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited May 7, 2022 8:32AM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Well the OP clearly shows a damaged bubble pack envelope so his description as an "ebay standard envelope" is in error.

Not if he printed an ebay standard envelope label for it.

edited to add... The post office where I used to live would accept a bubble envelope at letter rates as long as it was less than 1/4" thick.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:

No, his error was shipping a letter/package that doesn't qualify for the ebay standard shipping and I would wager it jammed the sort machine. The package is hung up, the employee grabs it and rips it out of the mechanism, which is exactly what looks like happened to me!

@amwldcoin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@JBK said:

No, his error was shipping a letter/package that doesn't qualify for the ebay standard shipping and I would wager it jammed the sort machine. The package is hung up, the employee grabs it and rips it out of the mechanism, which is exactly what looks like happened to me!

Since I don't sell on eBay, WTH is an eBay standard envelope?

theknowitalltroll;
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

Since I don't sell on eBay, WTH is an eBay standard envelope?

Link

• slider23slider23 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

When I shipped using the eBay Standard Envelope, I had a lot of complaints from buyers. The mail sorting tracking caused the most complaints as it is inconsistent at best. The second most complaint was the delivery time. I had two envelopes that were lost, but I am not sure if the packages were truly lost or the buyers taking advantage of the tracking system. If you are selling coins under $20, eBay Standard Envelope is cost effective to use, but exposes the seller to negative feedback on low cost items.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@Herb_T said:

@MasonG said:

@Herb_T said:
    When I ship coins of any value, say >$500, I put the coin in a padded envelope, put bubble wrap around the padded envelope. Put this in a box and put the box in another box. Packing tape all around both boxes. This is close to how Heritage sends coins out, wrapper in a wrapper….or box in a box.
    If you try to save a few bucks on wrapping and postage, it will bite you in the ass!

eBay standard envelope is for items valued at $20 or less. Your packaging system is overkill for something like that.

I've shipped hundreds (at least) of coins by eBay standard envelope in a corrugated mailer inside a standard #10 envelope with no reports of damage.

Might be overkill, but the coin will arrive.

Actually, the sale would never be made. Buyers won't pay what it costs to ship that way for a $10 coin. And, to repeat, I've shipped hundreds (at least) of coins by eBay standard envelope in a corrugated mailer inside a standard #10 envelope with no reports of damage.

I’m not worried about $10 or even $100 coins…..I’m worried about $400 to $5,000 coins…..it’s how much risk I want to take…..I’m not buying or selling coins in the bottom end….

• TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    What's suspicious on this is this was the only person who has asked me to ship securely before I mailed an item saying he didn't want coins falling out. Never had someone say that before. Probably no way to prove what happened, but usps usually has a standard plastic envelope they send damaged packages in with a lame apology for what happened.

Buyer's note: Hello, please make sure coins are secured in packaging to avoid coins rolling around freely which may cause coins to tear through its packaging, thanks.

That doesn’t sound suspicious to me. Why would he mention it in advance, if he planned to pull a scam? I think it’s more likely that (as many of us have) he’s received some poorly packed shipments and would like to avoid another one.

Respectfully disagree. If that was the only piece of information we had, i would agree with you. Nothing particularly suspicious about confirming how a coin will be packaged in and of itself. But how many eBay buyers contact the seller to confirm details of packaging? 5%? Less? And how many packages get torn open prior to arrival? 1%? The likelihood that both of these would happen independently (uncorrelated) on the same shipment is 5% * 1% i.e., extremely remote. Of course that's possible, but it is much more likely the buyer was laying the groundwork to a scam in my opinion ("see, I told you to package it well"). Maybe my percentages are off, but the point is the same. Unfortunate situation either way.

@Herb_T said:
    I’m not worried about $10 or even $100 coins…..I’m worried about $400 to $5,000 coins…..it’s how much risk I want to take…..I’m not buying or selling coins in the bottom end….

Ah, okay. So how you pack coins is not relevant here. Got it.

@MasonG said:

@Herb_T said:

Ah, okay. So how you pack coins is not relevant here. Got it.

Pretty much true of most of the comments on this thread. The OP sent a 1st class letter with a sub $20 coin and most everyone is double boxing and sending registered.

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the EBay seller protection plan for media mail with a tracking number ??? I recently sent a new numismatic magazine to the buyer, but the package came back damaged/ripped with missing item

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robkool said:
    I wonder what the EBay seller protection plan for media mail with a tracking number ??? I recently sent a new numismatic magazine to the buyer, but the package came back damaged/ripped with missing item

It will protect the buyer but I am not sure about the seller.

@robkool said:

It's the same as other shipping methods.

@jmlanzaf said:
    Pretty much true of most of the comments on this thread. The OP sent a 1st class letter with a sub $20 coin and most everyone is double boxing and sending registered.

I'm sure they'd all be in favor of double boxing/registered delivery for a sub $20 coin, too. As long as they don't have to pay for it.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a eBay order where the item was lost in the post office distribution center for old for a month. When they found it they said it was underneath the conveyor belt and nobody could see it and did not bother looking for until formal report was filed with the post office. It was delivered in my mailbox later that week. However, packing envelope was l
    Slit open and the coin was gone. USPS denied any culpability in the event and shrug their shoulders as usual. Fortunately the seller refunded my money and filed a claim with USPS. Believe it or not I don't think this is an uncommon event. Sorry for your situation. Been there myself.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be using the sandwich mailers but in the past had bad experiences with the ones from Cheshire, they had dry rot, fell apart on opening and were only good once, and are kind of expensive. I have been re-using shipping materials and since I have been trying standard envelope am not probably doing it right. It was a relatively inexpensive loss here and if the usps or police wanted to do a csi on it with fingerprints matched up in their database it would be interesting. Heavily taped, an envelope inside an envelope I don't see how sorting equipment would damage the edge and cause the coins to be sucked out without tearing everything apart. If it is a con by the buyer ebay has a record and can match up anything prior.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file