Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking to borrow a 1943-S DDO Cent, FS-101 (019.5)

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody have one of these I can borrow for research?
Or maybe just me pictures of?
Thanks
TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it helps

CF - VV - DD

you have to manually search here, can't bookmark searched pages - CC
    can't find a general listing, so found it on the top 50 - LCR

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypicked and sold this one in 2018.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    if it helps

CF - VV - DD

you have to manually search here, can't bookmark searched pages - CC
    can't find a general listing, so found it on the top 50 - LCR

Thanks. I have seen that, but could not see what I need to see in those pictures.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    Here is another MS 65 example. Let me know if you want to see it in hand and I will be happy to mail it to you.
    WS

Address sent.

• Options

@numisma said:
    On a related note, I am researching 1804 dollars, so to anyone reading this, please send me a few examples to research. Won't take more than a few years.

Also, please let me know if you want the 1804 dollar returned via First Class or Priority Mail.

JK. @CaptHenway can you tell us what you are researching, or is it top secret at this time. Now we are all curious.

Somebody has made a plausible case that the variety has been mis-attributed. My opinion was asked, and I am doing research.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

The doubling is so minor that I don't really care about the variety at all.

The best is on the eye.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    The doubling is so minor that I don't really care about the variety at all.

The best is on the eye.

Pete

I class these as being for the microscopic collectors of which I am not!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot all about this DDO '43.... I have never checked my 'accumulation' of steel cents for that DDO. Another rainy day project - starting page two of those projects. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I forgot all about this DDO '43.... I have never checked my 'accumulation' of steel cents for that DDO. Another rainy day project - starting page two of those projects. ;) Cheers, RickO

Ricko, You are clearly not getting enough rain, you need to move back to the Pacific Northwest so you can enjoy some of those rainy days and get caught up.

• Options

Anybody have an early die state specimen I can borrow? Shows doubling at the base of the 4.
    Thanks.
    TD

• Options
    JetstreamJetstream Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

I have 5 of these. All MS.
    I just took a close look at the 4 and find an “Appendage” underneath the left end of the horizontal of the 4.
    Is that what you are referring to?

• Options

@Jetstream said:
    I have 5 of these. All MS.
    I just took a close look at the 4 and find an “Appendage” underneath the left end of the horizontal of the 4.
    Is that what you are referring to?

Yes. That is the die, though that appendage appears on all die states.
    Regardless, may I borrow it for study?
    TD

• Options

• Options

Nice. Are they all the same die state? All should show strong doubling at the bottom of the 1, inside the top of the 9 and underneath the downstroke of the 9, and under the far left "elbow" of the 4. The early die state I am looking to examine has some weak doubling under the base of the 4 as well. Do any of yours show doubling at the base of the 4?

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway I believe the five coins posted were from the same person who you were talking to about the appendage under the 4. Not sure if you thought this was a new person or not but it seemed that way from your post.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

Thanks. They all appear to be Die Stage C. I never researched them to determine Die Stage prior to seeing this post.
    They were all found in an original roll I purchased many years ago. At the time I submitted them to PCGS in Feb of 2011 they were 5 of the 10 graded with the MS66 being POP 1 , if my memory serves me.

• Options

@Jetstream said:
    Thanks. They all appear to be Die Stage C. I never researched them to determine Die Stage prior to seeing this post.
    They were all found in an original roll I purchased many years ago. At the time I submitted them to PCGS in Feb of 2011 they were 5 of the 10 graded with the MS66 being POP 1 , if my memory serves me.

Thank you. I don't think that that die state shows what I need, but I appreciate your taking a look at them.
    TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file