Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this libel/slander? Reporting ebay seller for libel/slander against PCGS?

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2022 11:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I reported this item and seller on eBay. I could not figure out how to appropriately report the listing. It seems like a silly listing to begin with.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2022 7:55PM

It would have to be libel.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

His asking price/description for the coin pictured is all you need to look at.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a kid trying to make money by ripping someone off.
    They should be turned into PCGS & Ebay

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Seems legit

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Panda4456….you are an unkind person…please find some other way to entertain yourself…

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Panda4456….you are an unkind person…please find some other way to entertain yourself…

You are an unkind person for calling me an unkind person. Looks like you have nothing else better to do!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even worth anyone's time to address.The silly auction speaks for itself.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's taking the bait and switch game to a all new level.
    That's what happens when you play the shell game with a bubble as the pea.
    I guess.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Not guilty by reason of insanity?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Libel and keyword spamming to get his auction to come up on a PCGS search.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s probably the same person who wrote two e-books for kindle making the same accusations. You can look it up. Ridiculous stuff.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is nasty.... Certainly open to legal action for such a statement. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Seems legit

You’re on a roll, bashing PCGS.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy/silly/stupid thing to put in a listing.

Perhaps they're hoping PCGS will swap it for a nice coin?? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

The seller had better have some proof.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're charging extra for the counting-wheel damage.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read just as damming statements posted here on this or other forums, still rather childish and stupid as little good can come from it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seller has all the style of some of the drive by posters we've seen around here from time to time

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably trying to prevent a potential buyer not to have the coin authenticated, which is what many would do with such a treasure.

Vplite99
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having been reported to the head honchos and law enforcement, they will be breaking down his door at any moment now with a battering ram!!!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 5:20PM

In most jurisdictions, accusing someone of breaking the law or of criminal activity is not just libel, it is libel per se, meaning that a claimant doesn't need to prove actual damages-damages are presumed. The statement listed above looks awfully close to an accusation of criminal activity. Still, I doubt PCGS would go so far as to pursue this.

BTW, I think I'm a buyer at a mere $1200 on the nickel!

Tom

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Libelous. In writing with intent to cause harm. Also from that screen shot, I don't see a PCGS holder. He states the PCGS cert but I don't see one.

On a much sadder note, I witnessed the passing of our very own PANDA. Nuisance. I'm heartbroken.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller puts his credibility on display with the price tag. The way I see it, the coin "offered for sale" is nothing more than a dummy coin being listed to allow them to make allegations about PCGS on eBay.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

The seller has changed the title. It is still obvious who the seller is referencing though.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing rare in that listing is intellect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file