Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the BEST coin purchase you ever made?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a 1883-CC $20 raw for 900 in 2003. Took it to my state's largest coin show about a year or two later to get a sort of appraisal. They said it was cleaned and my heart sank. I still kept it. Went to a local shop 15 years later to get sent to PCGS with other coins. Came back XF-45.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a picture right now but my best coin purchase was a 2003 Wright Brothers First flight $10 gold coin. I just started my first job out of college with the Air Force as a flight test engineer and this was my first big coin purchase. It was my "I made it" purchase. It is one of 2 coins I will never sell.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m still looking but one day.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real home runs to brag about, but missed out on a roll of $5 gold liberty heads that an auction company was selling as Indian head cents.
    Rolls were taped up and said Indian written on the tape.
    There were three rolls.
    Someone questioned the roll half way thru the bids and the auctioneer shut all the coin sales down...we stood out in the sun for five hours waiting on the lots.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great stories being posted!

One of my fave coins that I’m glad I stepped up for back around 2007. The dealer was selling it on consignment and wouldn’t negotiate off $2100.
    One of those coins that even the most jaded dealer in the room would likely still make an offer on.

This is a story for another day, just got back from pcgs.
    My cost basis in just the coin after all was said and done is $0. So my only expense is the slab + shipping.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    Nothing great - bought a 1991 1/2 ounce gold eagle back then raw from a bullion dealer, when gold was low. Low mintage. A couple years ago, I had it graded, at MS-69.

Same scenario! I've had this coin in PCGS MS-69 since the 90's and just keep watching the prices go up :) I think I paid under $500 bucks..

I've found and had graded lots of IKEs that did very well. My best was a RAW Ebay 1972 Type 2 for about $40 bucks... sent it in and scored an MS-65.. (was hoping for 66)

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

If best means coin I wish I had back either my once PCGS MS62 1889-CC $ or my once territorial $50 octagon NGC VF25 (I think). If the best you suck score that’s easy 75v Gold Eagle. Lighting doesn’t strike twice for me like that.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

One upgrade I had was an 1861-O $20 Liberty in an old VF35 holder that upgraded to XF40. That would have been a much bigger price jump today than 20 plus years ago when I paid a premium for the vf coin then sold it as an xf.

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

My best cherry was a 1928-D Lincoln cent off a bid board in Tucson AZ for $28. Sent to ANACS for $40 and it came back 1928-d/d MS63RB. Sold it on Ebay for $700 from a buy it now bid.

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, all USA coins. Well, I live in the USA but collect Brit coins. About 16 years ago I took a chance on pictures alone and bought an 1838 sovereign off of ebay for 1250 pounds - about $2000 at the time. The coin looked special and when I got it felt it looked to be a milled edge pattern proof.
    One of the TPGs (who shall remain nameless rejected it as cleaned - IT WAS NOT) so sent it off to Mr. S. Hill then at Baldwin's London who confirmed it not cleaned or tampered with and then offered 20,000 pounds for it as it was a discovery pattern. I held on to it, but then sadly as it was not my series used it in trade for a very rare pattern set.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    42/1-D Cherrypicked from an album I bought for a cost basis of about $1.65 is my single best % return. Sold for $700 after grading. Fees for grading were about $22.

Pure dollars, I'm still holding onto my best return. Will have to try this for recon, 65+ is 20k+. Turned down 15 for it already.

Hey DD. What a steal. Didn't you pick up an NGC 2.1 on ebay on the cheap awhile back and then send it to CAC? That has to be a 10x jump by now.

Tim

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2022 11:52AM

@pointfivezero said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    42/1-D Cherrypicked from an album I bought for a cost basis of about $1.65 is my single best % return. Sold for $700 after grading. Fees for grading were about $22.

Pure dollars, I'm still holding onto my best return. Will have to try this for recon, 65+ is 20k+. Turned down 15 for it already.

Hey DD. What a steal. Didn't you pick up an NGC 2.1 on ebay on the cheap awhile back and then send it to CAC? That has to be a 10x jump by now.

Tim

Yeah I did!

I've gotten several 10x'ers in the past year and change but that walker will be a 30-40x'er if I can get into the 5+ CAC holder I think it deserves.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, @DelawareDoons. My $500 offer still stands for that Washington. No questions asked!

Tim

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    1912-S PCGS MS64

I had been looking everywhere for a 1912-S with a full, solid strike. They are far and few between, but after looking for many years, I finally came across this one!

Beautiful coin, Dwayne!

Dave

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    This 1916-d I purchased for 200 bucks on eBay. It graded out at a 66 and sold it for 9k.

Definitely a “you suck” award on this one!
    You likely qualify for numerous ‘you suck’ awards, as do several others in this thread!
    Great score!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

1845-D Half Eagle Variety 13-I because it lead to an article being published in Coin World and recognition by Doug Winter in his attribution of branch mint gold.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file