Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How long will I be in the “grading” stage?

I submitted a coin to pcgs for grading and it went from received to “grading” right away. Will I be stuck in grading for months?

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, most likely. They seem to be quite busy right now.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • I sent 8 coins in to be graded in November. In February they were stuck in grading so I wrote and called 3 times to find out what happened to coins. They just told me that it was taking a while. Finally the third time I called they told me they would expedite my order. Then then sent me the coins without taking the photos that I ordered. I don't know what is going on with PCGS but I think you will get your coins back it just might take a while.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

be patient, I'm still waiting for my photos from my coins I received two weeks ago. How does that happen?

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is NGC having these problems? Is it because of all of the people that have moved out of California?

thefinn
  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

In grading 8 weeks +/-1.

Figure 3-4 weeks in photos/encapsulation/quality

You will get your coins before the photos are ready, figure 3-4 weeks for photos to follow.

Just take a deep breathe….they are working their way through the processes.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

what level ?

My Crossover Express received on 3/7 and entered on 3/8, just had the grades posted yesterday 3/18. That was a 10-day turnaround. Pretty quick in my opinion.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

I think express is the only way to go if you are able to afford it. I personally don’t have patience to wait months for results. Would drive me crazy.

• Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Looks like I’m going to wait until June or July then I guess

@Joey29 said:
    I think express is the only way to go if you are able to afford it. I personally don’t have patience to wait months for results. Would drive me crazy.

Depends on the coin, grade expected, and a host of other details. If it's not worth the additional money, just wait it out. PCGS is doing its best in trying times.

• oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Two world-modern submissions, both received at PCGS on 12/22/21, first order in my hands yesterday (3/21/22) -- 2nd (crossover batch) has not had grades published yet. The crossover batch was my "club" submission, which is supposed to make things faster... I'm having trouble agreeing with that promise.

I still don't have my true-view images yet, for the batch that's in my hands.

And one error in their grading/coin identification, that I've still not gotten a response from. This may be my last year as a Platinum member.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

50 working days. they told me
    call around 35 days have them expedite

15 weeks now for my "World Regular Crossover" submission. Still in "Encapsulation." I did at least get a response, authorization, and return label for the one they misattributed, so that's good. Their statistics page showing a current crossover success rate of 34% is not at all promising, though, I sure hope someone submitted like 500 ANACS slabs to push that number.

• 34 coins entered into their system on 12/28/21. Still waiting as of 4/15/22. 21 more coins sent in on 1/14/22. This order had the same order number but ran out of room on the sheet. Second sheet contained the one coin. They processed the one coin from that batch apparently as a separate order and I got it back yesterday. Of course paying shipping and handling charges for the one coin. Not pleased about that.

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your PCGS/NGC post, probably about 10-12 months.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    50 working days. they told me
    call around 35 days have them expedite

I have a slight touch of paranoia. I believe if I do that, the results will be not as good as had I not done that. In theory, the graders won’t know the behind the scenes speed up, they’re only given the coins. But perhaps it’s like returning your cold soup in a restaurant, and then wondering if the Chef spit in it just before handing it to the waiter to serve you the warmed up soup. Oh, how my mind fools with me, lol.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • @Joey29 said:

Last year around awards time there started to be a bigger and bigger 'backlog'. I ended up missing a few deadlines due to unexpected delays.
    I guess we just plan accordingly from now on.

Interesting trivia here -- at five months, it seems, the submission drops off the "account" landing page - whether it's completed or not - and you have to search for it through the "orders" menu. This submission is using the membership vouchers (*which is supposed to speed things up) -- and those vouchers expire in a little over a month. Since they don't actually ~apply~ the vouchers until the order is completed, apparently, I'll admit to a little bit of anxiety for whether they'll still be good by the time they actually get this thing done. There's a shimmer of hope in that it recently slid into the "QA" phase, at least... And yeah, I'm in agreement about being hesitant to try to inquire, I don't want them to spit in my soup... :-/

@oldsmagnet said:
    Interesting trivia here -- at five months, it seems...

EDIT -- revisiting this because it dawned on me that I apparently either can't count or can't type. 'Only' been four and a half months - although it still feels like eight...

• WasserwerksWasserwerks Posts: 41 ✭✭

Finally got my set of 20 processed fully from January and it is en route. FIVE MONTHS! Be prepared. Either submit at a show or upgrade to the faster service.

• Faster service is the way to go. But because I am poor in class does that mean my coins are graded poorly too? Let's just be honest... Do these graders know if this is from the Express line from Walter Been Collection? What about the Joseph Franklin collection? I've heard good things in the works about the amount of DDO'S to hit the market.

• doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2022 5:54PM

Been a month since I submitted my modern stuff. The times it takes really vary. Last year in March took less than a month from recieved to shipped back for pre-33 gold. I think the more common, the longer it takes in my experience. How long did it take them to crossover the 1933 St. Gauden's $20 Double Eagle I wonder😋

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years and years ...

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Four calander months till back to you,
    Not a nice ride. Got mine back and they were all under graded 2 to 6 points no less then what they
    Were in the NGC holders I cracked them out of! Typically in the past such of my coins were graded within 1/2 to 1 point difference ( no big deal there) . But Such hugh downgrades and grading delays say to me something is wrong in river city.

Until things improve back to where it was I can't do anymore submittals. Too costly in time and money.
    I feel like my favorite restaurant has changed chefs or management.

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Personally I prefer they take their time and get the grades right. I wish they had more graders, but will wait on the poor guys being rushed.

Dan
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Till the year 2525.

• Until things improve back to where it was I can't do anymore submittals. Too costly in time and money.
    I feel like my favorite restaurant has changed chefs or management.

Too many came back rejected from crossover. some of these are top NGC coins. Guess they stay there for a while.
    In the meantime, I signed up to NGC! :|

Guess I'll get mine about Nov. Dec. But I expect some nice grades on my orders.

Dan
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grades popped today after 46 business days. Coins are still being imaged. Grades are as expected.

WoW my Nickles are graded already. Only been snce late May I'm thinking. Said they were being put in holders.

Dan
  • bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been waiting for a long time for about 30 coins spread across 5 orders, the last set of Rubles all returned MS70. The wait is worth it but it's part of the process. Once you have your coins and look back you forget the length of time the process took,

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does still take a while. Now 3 full months, still in "grading" 15 coins in one submission for gold shield special issues economy.
    My last express order was finished in less than one month.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two submissions that were "received" on 2-22-2022 (one is 6 World Coins and the other is 28 US Coins from 1794 to 1958, both sent in economy). The World Coins are still in grading. The US Coins are in Quality Assurance (and on hold because of a mix up that is being corrected).

At over 5 months now, and at 109 business days now for both submissions.

:(

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 months is really a long time. I really hope this can be improved on. I had one over 4 months myself.

I am not sending in as many for grading now because of the long time to get them back compared to the past.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC stops the flow until the lag time is within reason

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• I have 8 coins in grading (vouchers) currently, submitted December 6th. Last time I submitted about a year ago, I received the newly graded coins (6 each) in about a month with photos. On December 6th I also dropped off 40 coins for re-holder and TV photo at the Vegas show. Coins returned in two days, photos in three. I don't have any particular "in" at PCGS, just good luck I guess.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

I just got back 4 coins over the last month all sent in at the same time 2 months ago.
    1 reholder.....took about 3 weeks
    1 raw grade.....took the whole 2 months
    2 gold coin cross overs (took about 6 weeks).....I think these are automatically express do to value and cost of the Tier.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

I just sent in a coin for review today.......we'll see how long this takes.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    I have 8 coins in grading (vouchers) currently, submitted December 6th. Last time I submitted about a year ago, I received the newly graded coins (6 each) in about a month with photos. On December 6th I also dropped off 40 coins for re-holder and TV photo at the Vegas show. Coins returned in two days, photos in three. I don't have any particular "in" at PCGS, just good luck I guess.

I asked this in a different thread.......
    How do the TV look that you received?

• The TV's look as good as all my others