Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique Gold Buffalo Nickel is straight graded AU53!!!

Comments

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Yes. Several famous, expensive, and rare coins that were not net graded but had an issue, were graded as gems and sold as gems.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2022 10:48PM

@Byers said:
    Yes. Several famous, expensive, and rare coins that were not net graded but had an issue, were graded as gems and sold as gems.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the gold Buffalo nickel get a simple straight grade without "Test Cut" on the label at some point, like the following from our hosts.

Could be some upside when that happens.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2022 10:57AM

The unique platinum 1814 Bust Half was encapsulated in a regular holder by NGC as well.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@Zoins

Here is a straight graded mint error struck OVER a canceled coin:

• Options
    edited April 4, 2022 7:22AM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Here is a straight graded mint error struck OVER a canceled coin:

Amazing coin Mike!

I found this 2016 CoinWeek article indicating it was first sent to a "prominent numismatist for authentication". Do you happen to know who this was?

NGC said:
    The coin may be known to some in the numismatic community as it was first sent to a prominent numismatist for authentication in 1976.

NGC believes these are real!

NGC said:
    Adding to the evidence that these coins were made by mistake are two considerations. First, the coin was found in circulation in 1964, suggesting that it promptly entered commerce and wasn’t held back as a momento or to be sold. Second, a 1964-D Jefferson Nickel struck on a cancelled India 1940 ¼ Rupee is also known. This means that the same circumstance that occurred at the Philadelphia Mint, where this Lincoln Cent was struck, was repeated at the Denver Mint. That may well rule out the theory that a single Mint employee or someone with special access to the minting process was involved.

Here's some other great info:

NGC said:
    Similar errors have occurred in the past. The US Mint struck coins for over 40 foreign countries from 1876 into the 1980s. Occasionally these foreign coins got mixed with regular US coinage planchets, creating popular double-denomination error coins. But the US Mint has never produced coins for India, adding to the intrigue of this piece.

• Options

@Zoins

It is one of the most mysterious mint errors ever slabbed.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that overstruck canceled coin is so amazing!!!

• Options

So if the cancelled Rupee was first cancelled and then struck again, does that mean it's a legal tender US coin that was previously cancelled???

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have said, and I continue to say that the Buffalo Gold Nickel should be straight graded.

I STILL contend that it was normal practice to test gold in that way back then.

If somebody put a screwdriver to it THAT would be damage. I do not consider testing to be damage, at least in the case of the subject coin of this thread.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Very Informative 1943 Copper Cent post !!!

I wonder if PCGS Gold Shield had straight graded the Golden Bison it would have hammered well above $78,000 in January 21, 2021 ?

@Byers said:
    @MrEureka said:

“In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter what it's called. The coin is what it is. But in the world we live in, labels matter.”

Ofcourse labels matter!!

Recently a 1943 Copper Cent that was originally certified net details EF scratched, in a NGC holder………

Was submitted to PCGS and not only upgraded to AU 50, but also got into a regular holder, and sold for 300k by GC.

So obviously yes!

Labels matter!

Do you know if the coin was crossed or resubmitted as a raw coin

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 4:37PM

The net detailed 1943 copper Cent jumped from 135k reserve not met, to selling for 300k in GC when it straight graded. The Stella jumped 250k from net detailed to a straight grade. There are other examples.

Some dealers that were quoted in the article believe that the Gold Buffalo, now straight graded, is worth more than the 253k and 276k that (2) of the (6) Gold Indian Cents sold for, since the Gold Buffalo is unique.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would look good with that Indian cent that was struck on a gold planchet, just saying

• Options

That would make an amazing pair!

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 12:26AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I have said, and I continue to say that the Buffalo Gold Nickel should be straight graded.

I STILL contend that it was normal practice to test gold in that way back then.

If somebody put a screwdriver to it THAT would be damage. I do not consider testing to be damage, at least in the case of the subject coin of this thread.

Pete

I agree. It's an amazing coin and what happened is very understandable given the age and composition of the coin. It gives the sense that it was a true error, not a intentional piece de caprice.

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@LindyS said:
    Very Informative 1943 Copper Cent post !!!

I wonder if PCGS Gold Shield had straight graded the Golden Bison it would have hammered well above $78,000 in January 21, 2021 ?

@Byers said:
    @MrEureka said:

“In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter what it's called. The coin is what it is. But in the world we live in, labels matter.”

Ofcourse labels matter!!

Recently a 1943 Copper Cent that was originally certified net details EF scratched, in a NGC holder………

Was submitted to PCGS and not only upgraded to AU 50, but also got into a regular holder, and sold for 300k by GC.

So obviously yes!

Labels matter!

Do you know if the coin was crossed or resubmitted as a raw coin

@Joey29 Of course being in a straight holder will have it realized a higher price. There are some good examples in this thread, from both top services.

Rare, desirable coins tend to end up in problem-free holders like the coins shown here including the multi-million Dexter Dollar, which has no problem indicator on the slab, was considered overgraded by the previous owner @tradedollarnut (along with all other 1804 dollars), and is considered a gem proof by Laura Sperber.

This coin was discovered only recently in 2019. As it becomes more famous, I expect desirability to increase and the test cut on the grade to potentially come off.

This is a really an amazing coin. The Buffalo nickel is one of the most desirable coin designs, is "All American", is a regular issue design, is unique, and is the same date as the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ...REALLY... like that annotated NGC example. All the info and no negatives.

<3

• Options

@Zoins said:

“ This coin was discovered only recently in 2019. As it becomes more famous, I expect desirability to increase and the test cut on the grade to potentially come off.

This is a really an amazing coin. The Buffalo nickel is one of the most desirable coin designs, is "All American", is a regular issue design, is unique, and is the same date as the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels.”

You took the words right out of my mouth.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins, just curious, is that your coin? I like it, but not too sure about 200k - glad some like it that much and truly so.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 12:29AM

Obvious shenanigans that got liberated by our famous friend that also came up with five well known 1913 Liberty 5c Philly mint issues dating back to his time working at Philly Mint in 1913. Over time some body cut it deeply with a file when it got tested for gold & found it was not plated. Thats odd & curious. Cool coin. Cool pattern, cool whatever you make of it.

• Options

@LindyS

Yes plenty of games played in 1913 at the Phili Mint. They were very creative!

• Options
    edited April 7, 2022 6:30AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Zoins, just curious, is that your coin? I like it, but not too sure about 200k - glad some like it that much and truly so.

The coin is owned by Mike @Byers which was posted by Mike earlier in this thread and documented in the Mint Error News Magazine article I posted in the OP. Go check it out! Here's the link again:

https://minterrornews.com/issue63.pdf

I like really cool coins, so I post, think, and talk about a lot of them. This particular coin is very interesting and new, as it was discovered only a few years ago. I happen to like this coin a lot and think it's worth a lot more than $200k from looking at comparables, like real estate. For example, this is a unique gold buffalo nickel while there are 6 gold Indian Head Cents, with the top two selling for $276k and $253k, way back in 2009 and 2010 respectively. The fact that this is unique and larger, along with the fact those prices are old, means it should be worth more.

Here are the sales of the two (of six) gold Indian head cents, both over 10 years old so they should both be worth a lot more now:

Also, this very modern Sacagawea Washington mule, of which there are 19, sold for $192k in 2018, and a unique gold buffalo nickel is a much cooler coin.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-9I8QX/2000-p-sacagawea-dollar-muled-with-a-statehood-quarter-ms-67-ngc

Just based on comparables to the Indian head cents, I think this is worth substantially more. And if a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel collector wants this to pair up, the sky's the limit.

• Options

@Zoins

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Again.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 5:09AM

Are you aware there are 3 die pairs used to strike the 19 known Saq $ / 25c Mules ?
    I was going to link story from Fred's site, but I cannot find it now

In mean time here's PCGS info:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-mule-w-state-25c-obverse/508061

And Fred's heirloom mule:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/sacagawea-dollars/a-written-description-will-be-available-soon/p/1344-14003.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-ThisAuction-120115

@Zoins said:

@7Jaguars said:

The coin is owned by Mike @Byers which was posted by Mike earlier in this thread and documented in the Mint Error News Magazine article I posted in the OP. Go check it out! Here's the link again:

I like really cool coins, so I post, think, and talk about a lot of them. This particular coin is very interesting and new, as it was discovered only a few years ago. I happen to like this coin a lot and think it's worth a lot more than $200k from looking at comparables, like real estate. For example, this is a unique gold buffalo nickel while there are 6 gold Indian Head Cents, with the top two selling for $276k and $253k, way back in 2009 and 2010 respectively. The fact that this is unique and larger, along with the fact those prices are old, means it should be worth more.

Here are the sales of the two (of six) gold Indian head cents, both over 10 years old so they should both be worth a lot more now:

Also, this very modern Sacagawea Washington mule, of which there are 19, sold for $192k in 2018, and a unique gold buffalo nickel is a much cooler coin.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-9I8QX/2000-p-sacagawea-dollar-muled-with-a-statehood-quarter-ms-67-ngc

Just based on comparables to the Indian head cents, I think this is worth substantially more. And if a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel collector wants this to pair up, the sky's the limit.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 8:52AM

@LindyS said:
    Are you aware there are 3 die pairs used to strike the 19 known Saq $ / 25c Mules ?

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-mule-w-state-25c-obverse/508061

https://coins.ha.com/itm/sacagawea-dollars/a-written-description-will-be-available-soon/p/1344-14003.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-ThisAuction-120115

@Zoins said:

@7Jaguars said:

I am aware, but I don't think different die varieties come close to different compositions for comparison.

The top error coins all seem to be regular issue design off metals including the 1943-X bronze cents and the gold Indian Head Cents. This gold Buffalo should join them.

The SB lot I linked to does a good job of describing these. Some pairings are are rare, but none are unique, like the gold Buffalo.

Stack's Bowers said:
    Die Pair 1: There is a die crack on the reverse in the F in OF in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA unique to this pairing. The obverse die shows the radial stress striations typically found when dies from two different sizes are used together. This is the most frequently seen of the three die pairs with a total of twelve specimens known, including the present coin.

Die Pair 2: The obverse die is perfect with no distinguishing marks, but the reverse bears three die cracks: one projecting from the star above the E of ONE, a second by the star above the D in Dollar, and a third crack running by the wing above the same two letters. Only three coins are known from this die pairing.

Die Pair 3: The obverse die is mostly fresh with the exception of a tiny gouge in front of Washington's lips. The reverse die is in pristine with no distinguishing marks of note. Two coins are known from this pair.

• Options

This Gold buffalo is a very cool off metal error. A lost treasure worthy of discussion. Likely assisted, which does not bother me, but drives others inside & outside error coinage hobby crazy. Globally minted Shenanigan, Mint Sport errors are made and released. Foreign made for collectors' errors are typically more affordable than USA issues to acquire. Byers has offered a few Canadian gold off metal issues over last couple decades. He is likely The King of Gold Off Metal Coinage !!!

@Zoins said:

@LindyS said:

@Zoins said:

@7Jaguars said:

I am aware, but I don't think different die varieties come close to different compositions for comparison.

The top error coins all seem to be regular issue design off metals including the 1943-X bronze cents and the gold Indian Head Cents. This gold Buffalo should join them.

The SB lot I linked to does a good job of describing these. Some pairings are are rare, but none are unique, like the gold Buffalo.

Stack's Bowers said:
    Die Pair 1: There is a die crack on the reverse in the F in OF in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA unique to this pairing. The obverse die shows the radial stress striations typically found when dies from two different sizes are used together. This is the most frequently seen of the three die pairs with a total of twelve specimens known, including the present coin.

Die Pair 2: The obverse die is perfect with no distinguishing marks, but the reverse bears three die cracks: one projecting from the star above the E of ONE, a second by the star above the D in Dollar, and a third crack running by the wing above the same two letters. Only three coins are known from this die pairing.

Die Pair 3: The obverse die is mostly fresh with the exception of a tiny gouge in front of Washington's lips. The reverse die is in pristine with no distinguishing marks of note. Two coins are known from this pair.

• Options

@LindyS

Yes, gold off metals are very cool and exotic.

From Great Britain:

From Belgium:

• Options

My favorite of Mike's (almost in my price range, but not at the time) was the Canadian Gold Double Struck Big Horn Sheep.

Do You still have an image of that coin, it's so cool.

• Options

Wow Mike....................those are "Kool with a K".

Pete

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins

A few dramatic and exotic ones surfaced:

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 10:35AM

@Byers said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

!

WOW!!! Those are super cool!

The one I remember had the same design but the coin was nether one of those.

The gold coin was double struck with two images of a big horn sheep, one on center, the other about 50% off center, I think? Probably 15 - 20 years ago when I saw it, watched it and considered it, then it sold.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins

This one isn’t mine. Heritage Auctions sold it:

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 10:37AM

@Byers said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

This one isn’t mine. Heritage Auctions sold it:

!

WOW, not that one either.

Looks like someone had fun it Canada in 1985 :o

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    @MrEureka said:

Ofcourse labels matter!!

So obviously yes!

Labels matter!

So when a coin like this 1943 bronze cent gets straight graded and an up tick in grade is it because the owner sent it in for a crossover or did they crack it out and resubmit it?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the trueview of the 43 bronze. Those scratches seem fairly tiny for NGC to not straight grade.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2022 10:37AM

@Connecticoin said:
    Here is the trueview of the 43 bronze. Those scratches seem fairly tiny for NGC to not straight grade.

The photos certainly look nice, but it's important to see it in hand.

This is the Gumball Specimen so I couldn't resist posting the CoinWeek Gumball photo ;)

Source: https://coinweek.com/auctions-news/the-gumball-machine-giveth-greatcollections-offers-rare-1943-copper-cent/

And the TrueView standard layout too:

• Options

@Byers said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

Very nice Mike!

Here's the TrueView:

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2022 5:11PM

The mint is particularly cautious about tracking the whereabouts and status (monetized or not) of 1933 $20 gold double eagles, yet somehow, a $5 gold planchet is free to kick around the facility and accidentally end up getting struck in a press set up to mint nickels?

Is that about right? ;)

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 5:58PM

1964 D PEACE, 1974 & 1974D Aluminum Cents & 1933 Double Eagles are the ones to avoid.
    Is there anything else I am I am neglecting to offer up as USA Minted, but all are 100 % with zero questions asked get legally seizured, thus no-no's ??? Where are the coinage Gard rails ? I have offered up four, what else is there that collectors should avoid, except for our hobby's well documented Carr Arts ? I really Love me some openly documented Carr Art some of which goes down this rabbit hole.

@MasonG said:
    The mint is particularly cautious about tracking the whereabouts and status (monetized or not) of 1933 $20 gold double eagles, yet somehow, a $5 gold planchet is free to kick around the facility and accidentally end up getting struck in a press set up to mint nickels?

Is that about right? ;)

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins, this is really a great thread, I learned a lot from the discussion. You really started many great discussions. Thanks a lot for doing that.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 6:04PM

•Zoins- fantastic threads that are educational and researched!

•LindyS- your list is accurate. “1964 D PEACE, 1974 & 1974D Aluminum Cents & 1933 Double Eagle”. I would add the Gold Sac Dollars but literally impossible for one to show up outside of Fort Knox.

•MasonG- the Gold Buffalo Nickel would fall in the same category as the (6) Gold Indian Head Cents.
    —-

Actually there are now (7) gold Indian Head Cents! PCGS certified the 7th known. I am not at liberty to say anything else so please don’t ask me.

• Options

@Byers said:
    •MasonG- the Gold Buffalo Nickel would fall in the same category as the (6) Gold Indian Head Cents.

I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. I just find it interesting that in one case, gold is assumed to be carefully tracked as it's processed in the mint and in another case, it's not.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those gold Indian cents are really interesting

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Byers said:

I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. I just find it interesting that in one case, gold is assumed to be carefully tracked as it's processed in the mint and in another case, it's not.

The situations are 20 years apart.

No 1932 Standing Liberty Quarters either ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MasonG said:

@Byers said:

You're right. I guess it's possible the mint went from not keeping track of their gold to making a point of it.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2022 9:07PM

@MasonG said:

@Zoins said:

@MasonG said:

@Byers said:

You're right. I guess it's possible the mint went from not keeping track of their gold to making a point of it.

A big difference is the Great Depression which caused a run on gold.

Here's an article on this:

https://www.history.com/news/how-did-the-gold-standard-contribute-to-the-great-depression

• Options

If a person with access in the mint took a $2&1/2 gold piece into Philly Mint and left with this Gold Buffalo then the gold totals would have remained accurate. The idea someone actually created a 1913 Liberty Die, then struck five, then removed five, & then sold the five proves to me there was access.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2022 8:37AM

@LindyS

It was struck on a $5 gold blank planchet, not a $2 1/2.

Yes, it’s fascinating that the gold Buffalo Nickel is also dated 1913.

You are correct- there was access and possibly the same Mint Employees…

• Options
    edited April 9, 2022 10:56AM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins - fantastic threads that are educational and researched!

@LindyS - your list is accurate. “1964 D PEACE, 1974 & 1974D Aluminum Cents & 1933 Double Eagle”. I would add the Gold Sac Dollars but literally impossible for one to show up outside of Fort Knox.

@MasonG - the Gold Buffalo Nickel would fall in the same category as the (6) Gold Indian Head Cents.
    —-

Actually there are now (7) gold Indian Head Cents! PCGS certified the 7th known. I am not at liberty to say anything else so please don’t ask me.

Wait a minute! There are now seven gold Indian Head Cents / IHCs? And certified by PCGS? This makes it the situation even more interesting. There are now more gold IHCs than the six 1943-S bronze cents, and previously also more than the five 1913 Liberty Head Nickels. Still rare, but getting more common. The gold buffalo nickel has to be even more desirable now. I wonder if a gold Indian Head Cent collector, a 1913 Liberty Nickel collector, or someone else would end up with the gold Buffalo nickel? Another interesting thought is if the collector of other unique gold coins would be interested, like the 1933 Double Eagle or the J-1776 St. Gaudens pattern? It would be neat to see unique gold coins together.

I wanted to look up the gold Indian Head Cent, but it looks like these are still assigned hard to track "Error" coin numbers as shown as "E2206". It would have been great to have a collaboration between Ron @BestGerman and @FredWeinberg to get a coin number for different error types so they could show up in the Pop Reports and CoinFacts.

Can't wait for the 7th Gold Indian Head Cent TrueView to show up. I wonder what kind of story it will come with.

Here's one of the other gold IHCs showing the E2206 PCGS coin number.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    If a person with access in the mint took a $2&1/2 gold piece into Philly Mint and left with this Gold Buffalo then the gold totals would have remained accurate. The idea someone actually created a 1913 Liberty Die, then struck five, then removed five, & then sold the five proves to me there was access.

What is true, and what eventually may lead to the decision that the coin was struck by mistake, would be the near terminal state that both the obverse and reverse dies were in when it was struck.

This does not totally eliminate the premise that there were some kind of shenanigans going on with that particular coin (heaven forbid the thought).

We already know that to be true.

The possibility that the dies used were retired and due to be scrapped, but instead were harvested and used to strike the coin cannot be dismissed.

Too many variables.

I still believe the whole thing was a mistake, and the gold planchet got struck with regular nickel ones.

Why am I still replying to this thread, when my opinions have already been noted? I wish I knew.

Pete

• Options
    edited April 9, 2022 11:04AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@LindyS said:

What is true, and what eventually may lead to the decision that the coin was struck by mistake, would be the near terminal state that both the obverse and reverse dies were in when it was struck.

This does not totally eliminate the premise that there were some kind of shenanigans going on with that particular coin (heaven forbid the thought).

We already know that to be true.

The possibility that the dies used were retired and due to be scrapped, but instead were harvested and used to strike the coin cannot be dismissed.

Too many variables.

I still believe the whole thing was a mistake, and the gold planchet got struck with regular nickel ones.

Why am I still replying to this thread, when my opinions have already been noted? I wish I knew.

Pete

There seem to be two schools of thought.

• It's a real error. Posted by Tom @CaptHenway and Pete @BuffaloIronTail. Tom also indicated that he thought the gold IHCs are legitimate errors.
    • Fantasy along side the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels. James Halperin was wondering "whether it was created by the same person(s) who made the five 1913 Liberty nickels.”

Both are fascinating. I'm not sure if we'll ever know the answer, but there's lots to ponder and research now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file