Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As the years go by my interests are changing

jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the late 90's I started collecting Kilo gold bars. From2003-2010 It was modern 1 oz gold coins (Krug's , Maple leafs, buffalo's, Eagles, Pandas, Kangaroos). From 2013-2021 it was slabbed 1 0z Liberties/St Gaudens as close to spot as I could buy them. In the last two year's it's been I oz slabbed gold Civil War, shipwrecks, CC's, Lower mintage DE's. If I continue to progress will I need coin buyers anonymous?

Has anyone else taken this trip? I'm switching from one interest to another. I guess I tire easily? Kind of glad I'm not dating.

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens to most if you stay with it long enough.
    Enjoy the ride.
    The same applies to dating!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve switched interests many times over the years but have settled largely to several areas:

1. Gold dollars
    2. A few types I’ve kept because I like them
    3. US Philippine Type
    4. French 1 franc 1898-1920
    5. Franklin mint made medallions of my hometown done in the 1960s
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it happenes to all of us weather we realize it or not.
    Back in the day I only looked a WLH and Mercury dimes.
    Now I'm more into Type sets that have all the different coins
    Seated Liberty's are in favor this month but all type coins
    So now I'm a Type guy

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have kilo bars of gold? That’s awesome

I used to collect anything that caught my attention. Nowadays I almost always just focus on slabbed circulated type coins from the 1800s.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    You have kilo bars of gold? That’s awesome

I used to collect anything that caught my attention. Nowadays I almost always just focus on slabbed circulated type coins from the 1800s.

Yeah, I know :o

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go nuts over large cents. After (trying) assembling a set I got burned out after a few years and really have no desire to even look for them anymore.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I used to go nuts over large cents. After (trying) assembling a set I got burned out after a few years and really have no desire to even look for them anymore.

Thanks Steven59, more for me to find

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like many I was first attracted to silver dollars When I got into the hobby more I realized there were other "interesting" areas.

Vplite99
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very typical in the coin hobby.... interests change and there are so many options. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that a kilo bar of gold at today's spot is almost $62,000, you're waaaaaaay out of my end of the pool. Be nice to have a few (or even one) to convert & use the proceeds for your next pursuit!

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started with Lincolns from change. Evolved into searching junk silver in the mid 1990s to fill albums,. Got bit by bust halves , went crazy over those until about 2008. Then went into gold type and then into an 18th century type set. Still have the type set but worthy additions to the set are hard to find. Then purchased a few trophy coins. Then covid hit and prices all spiked and my son got old enough to be interested in coins.
    Now I am going through Lincoln cents and searching junk 90% with him and enjoy the hobby more than ever. So full circle. I guess next stage is sell everything and quit working

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's actually pretty typical of most collectors.

It looks like your tastes have gotten more sophisticated as you collect. You went from gold bullion to better gold bullion to gold coins to better gold & silver coins. That's positive movement IMO. (I wish I had the budget to progress like that!)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold bars are definitely out of my league, but I think everyone's path of collecting is bound to evolve...

I'm told the first step is admitting that you have a problem... or something like that... ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was out at Gene Henry's shop once and was invited me to handle a kilo gold bar. I enjoyed that. At the time I figured the bar had around about 28K of gold in it.

I started out collecting Lincoln cents but after a few years I thought better of spending so much of my coin budget on just the one design in an effort to complete a set. Now I'm as happy a dog chasing squirrels when I pick up whatever I like - U.S. classic gold, world silver and gold, ancients, U.S. Type.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2022 8:51AM

Lol,
    Yeah, like mentioned. This is typical in our "Hobby for Kings." This is a sign of an official coin collector. We should span our horizons. Yeah, about your Gold bars. Wow! Could really never pull the trigger on that precious metal. Too deep for my pockets, as of yet, anyway.
    My recent change of collecting direction came with the interest of the Mexican Libertads. What an awesome and beautiful coin. I now have about a half a dozen of various sizes and slabs. I also, did this new stunt with the world famous, Peace Dollars. When I realized I didn't even pocess one Dollar in my collection.
    Now I have about 8. Then finally, I not too long ago won a Silver Eagle Dansco Album.
    So I decided to start a set. In which at the time. Did not have one set of anything. Now, I only fill the album with only "Toned" Eagles. I'm up to 12 so far. The only trouble when I buy something in a new series, I tend to lose interest and end up flipping them for some quick cash! I did this when I started collecting the Commemorative Half Dollars.
    Cool thread, thanks.
    :D

Mintage: 5850
    Only 418 in a PCGS PF. 70

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some perspective on the kilo gold bars.

I made my living as a floor trader on the Amex beginning in 1985 then moved on to trade upstairs in the mid 90's. I was always trading paper so I was looking for a non dollar hedge for my account. The FT weekend edition sometime in 1998 (Talking about the death of gold) was the motivation I needed to pull the trigger and buy some gold. I looked at it as insurance. The price was around $270/oz so bars were selling for around $8600 or so? In retrospect the trade was good (AS always, when you have a winner you never bought enough).

Now i won't tell you about my vintage comic book collection that I sold 10 years ago. Why sell them? To date, I don't know? Maybe to buy more gold? LOL.
    It's all in the past so there are only so many times you can beat yourself up before moving on.

• Options

@jkrk said:
    Some perspective on the kilo gold bars.

I made my living as a floor trader on the Amex beginning in 1985 then moved on to trade upstairs in the mid 90's. I was always trading paper so I was looking for a non dollar hedge for my account. The FT weekend edition sometime in 1998 (Talking about the death of gold) was the motivation I needed to pull the trigger and buy some gold. I looked at it as insurance. The price was around $270/oz so bars were selling for around $8600 or so? In retrospect the trade was good (AS always, when you have a winner you never bought enough).

Now i won't tell you about my vintage comic book collection that I sold 10 years ago. Why sell them? To date, I don't know? Maybe to buy more gold? LOL.
    It's all in the past so there are only so many times you can beat yourself up before moving on.

Don't beat yourself up
    I had to tie my legs to prevent me from kicking myself.
    Did I really sell those 4 PCGS MS68 Walkers in 2007? Now worth over $100k? Really?
    What was I thinking.....
    Got to move on..........

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2022 3:40AM

I would say my interests are expanding not changing as to the meaning of starting something new and getting rid of the old. I keep all my old stuff and expand into more,and keep the old interests going too. (IF that makes any sense?)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file