Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

do you think this 1794 $1 is upgrade candidate?

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2022 10:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

not sure where the reverse image ran off to.

link to original - pic

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

(((Fake coin too.)))
    ::Check the spacing of the date among other tells::

:neutral:

peacockcoins

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole dang thing is too strong to be real! Is there any example with the stars and hair details that strong? Maybe if you combine several examples you could couple and obv. with all the stars that strong.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a plug in the center of the neck? I'm thinking just toning, but it'd be very interesting if the counterfeiters tried to add that.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cert checks out... but the Trueview just doesn't look the same, strange. If PCGS opens a counterfeits grading department I think its a candidate for an upgrade.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/04154731

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally a fake, a billion times only!!

• Options
    VictaVicta Posts: 27 ✭✭

The nose job is just totally wrong.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    The whole dang thing is too strong to be real! Is there any example with the stars and hair details that strong? Maybe if you combine several examples you could couple and obv. with all the stars that strong.

Hair, yes, but stars, no, not even if you combined the sharpest from all known examples. See exhibit one and only:

There’s a poster to this thread, who happens to be fairly well versed in 1794 dollars, including the one above.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am pretty confident that is a counterfeit/fake PCGS slab. Thus, NO. I don't think it'll upgrade.

Braddick
    What gives it away on the holder?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2022 7:32PM

@alaura22 said:

Braddick
    What gives it away on the holder?

There are a number of different styles for the holders and label, and even the hologram.

Instead of simply pointing out details, I figure better to have you on a voyage of discovery.

This label and holder is quite common.
    1. Finding the same holder on eBay will be easy
    2. Check every detail of the holder
    3. Are the stackable corners shaped right
    4. Is the hologram right (virtually always ok)
    5. Is the font right
    6. Is the font weight right
    7. Is the kerning (space between letters) right
    8. Is the space between “words” right
    9. Is the vertical line spacing right
    10. Is the printing on the label crooked?
    11. Is the barcode right (there are 2 generations of barcodes)
    12. Is the gasket right (gaskets can warp &/or discolor from intense heat. learn what this looks like)
    13. Does the grade on the label match the grade of the coin
    14. Do a cert check to see if things match
    15. Finally, on a six figure coin that probably just got reholdered, check auction houses to see if they have previously sold the coin. (It is possible an online dealer has the real one on sale, too) Is it the same coin (even if toning or conservation has changed the surfaces.)

Here, I’ll just point out #5 and leave the rest to you. This one has another easy to spot flaw.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Truly, the one in the first photo is an early fake out of China.

I remember that a south California dealer bought one like this, thinking it was a new discovery coin. (He figured that since it wasn't listed in my book, it HAD to be a new one.) I debunked it immediatly, and the dealer didn't even get the name of the "good old guy" who sold it to him.

• Options
    edited March 18, 2022 8:16PM

@FlyingAl said:
    Is that a plug in the center of the neck? I'm thinking just toning, but it'd be very interesting if the counterfeiters tried to add that.

Yes that is a solid silver plug
    And those scrape looking things on the periphery are adjustment marks. All to get it just right.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@FlyingAl said:

And those scrape looking things on the periphery are adjustment marks. All to get it just right.

Are you mentioning the counterfeit or the genuine example? I think we may be mentioning different coins.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2022 9:26PM

Bad hair styling ….bad nose job…..even if it were somehow authentic it would not be an upgrade candidate at all.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    Bad hair styling ….

200 years too early for spaghetti hair...

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@FlyingAl said:

Are you mentioning the counterfeit or the genuine example? I think we may be mentioning different coins.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@FlyingAl said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@FlyingAl said:

He was asking about the counterfeit, as I hadn’t even posted the picture of the genuine example at the time he asked about a plug.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake......date numbers are always 'off'.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

Hair, yes, but stars, no, not even if you combined the sharpest from all known examples. See exhibit one and only:

There’s a poster to this thread, who happens to be fairly well versed in 1794 dollars, including the one above.😉

That's not fair throwing the specimen strike up there! Here is the 66+

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

Why was it unfair to post the picture of the “Specimen” coin?
    I was addressing the part of your post that said: “Maybe if you combine several examples you could couple and obv. with all the stars that strong.”
    My point was that if even the stars on the “Specimen” aren’t as sharp as the ones on the counterfeit, combining several examples still wouldn’t produce stars as sharp as seen on the latter.

• Options

@oreville said:
    Bad hair styling ….bad nose job…..even if it were somehow authentic it would not be an upgrade candidate at all.

Sure it would - at a minimum, it’s an easy AU.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has run its course IMO.

But its always nice to see the SP66. Can't get enough of that icon.

• Options

That's a one off! :#

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

I was addressing the part of your post that said: “Maybe if you combine several examples you could couple and obv. with all the stars that strong.”
    My point was that if even the stars on the “Specimen” aren’t as sharp as the ones on the counterfeit, combining several examples still wouldn’t produce stars as sharp as seen on the latter.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fake, phony two-bit fraud of a coin.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

I know that. And again, if even it’s stars aren’t as sharp as those on the counterfeit, then obviously, no theoretical combining of stars from other examples would match those seen on the counterfeit. I’be been addressing YOUR post on that issue and now officially give up trying.

• Options

so really what you guys and gals are saying is that a gold sticker is not in the future for me or my little 1794? i mean, c'mon just be honest now.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    so really what you guys and gals are saying is that a gold sticker is not in the future for me or my little 1794? i mean, c'mon just be honest now.

A sticker would be apropos, providing that it had “Counterfeit,” marked on it.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    A sticker would be apropos, providing that it had “Counterfeit,” marked on it.

i have self-awarded this coin of the highest quality, not only signifying its grandeur far and beyond the quality of its counterparts, the elusive and esteemed "Fake" gold sticker. i deny any bias on my part being the sticker recipient and issuer and let the item stand upon its own merit.

@Floridafacelifter

she vehemently denies having ANY work done on that fantastic sniffer of hers!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides all the fun, that is a dangerous coin to have. Looks more than real enough to fool a lot of people that could be duped into purchasing. Be nice to know the provenance, especially the person who created it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 15 years ago, ANA was warning about high grade counterfeits that were going for $3-400 from China. Is this one of those, or another $20 "hey, look what I found"? If it's just a cheapo, whatever happended to those high grade examples? Are they still floating around.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am pretty confident that is a counterfeit/fake PCGS slab. Thus, NO. I don't think it'll upgrade.

It is a genuine PCGS slab, but not from our host. This one belongs to Professional Counterfeit Grading Scam (PCGS)

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2022 10:29AM

@FlyingAl said:

Good catch, but they could have made a better effort to put the plug in the center of the planchet!

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2022 12:16PM

Someone took this guy's bait. He had it in auction with an opening bid of $250 OBO. I sent him an offer of $20 for the novelty of a counterfeit 1794.

https://ebay.com/itm/304401876035

• Options

Here are my parting thoughts. I gave my 1st impression of the coin and it was absolutely correct....even to the hair details! You are just picking nits! :p

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

I know that. And again, if even it’s stars aren’t as sharp as those on the counterfeit, then obviously, no theoretical combining of stars from other examples would match those seen on the counterfeit. I’be been addressing YOUR post on that issue and now officially give up trying.

• Options

@numisma said:

@braddick said:

It is a genuine PCGS slab, but not from our host. This one belongs to Professional Counterfeit Grading Scam (PCGS)

You can find the real one on heritage

It is no doubt a counterfeit slab

• Options

I'd buy that as a fake. What a coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I have learned a bit from this thread....stars, hair - and especially nose features... Not to mention fake slab features. Very informative. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s one botched rhinoplasty… that’s for sure.

• Options

Here's the reverse of the "coin."

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file