Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know about silver dollars?

I have a 1891 us silver dollar and 2 1776 to 1976 silver dollars can anyone evaluate it

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need photos

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics needed

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Looks Great! :D Welcome to the forum!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the 1891 dollar is not a "CC" and is circulated it is probably worth $20-30 today depending on how much wear is present.

Assuming the two 1976 Bicentennial Dollars are also circulated copper-nickel coins they would just be worth face value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you can't post photos immediately after joining this site. Maybe in a few days?

In the meantime, for starters you can self-evaluate your silver dollars by comparison: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Dollars

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess poster didn't like us

• Options

Thank you

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Assuming the 1891 dollar is not a "CC" and is circulated it is probably worth $20-30 today depending on how much wear is present.

Assuming the two 1976 Bicentennial Dollars are also circulated copper-nickel coins they would just be worth face value.

Unless the 1891 dollar is in especially bad shape, it should be worth a minimum of $30.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

Unless the 1891 dollar is in especially bad shape, it should be worth a minimum of $30.

The poster has only one silver dollar. It may not be worth the effort and expense to find the $30 buyer. Too many collectors fail to take selling costs into consideration. In these days of expensive gasoline (and cars) just think of how much it costs to travel a given distance.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

The poster has only one silver dollar. It may not be worth the effort and expense to find the $30 buyer. Too many collectors fail to take selling costs into consideration. In these days of expensive gasoline (and cars) just think of how much it costs to travel a given distance.

It might not be worth the effort. However, either way, it’s better that he at least has the information at his disposal.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jubshub1 ... Welcome aboard. As indicated above... the bicentennial dollars are likely worth face value.... the 1891 $30, maybe more or less, depending on condition. We can help further on that one when you post pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2022 8:29AM

Confused.
    Are we evaluating or valuing ?
    I hope these words console.

Edited to add: I hope these photos assist in evaluating yours.

Courtesy of CoinFacts and me.

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/42498055_large.jpg

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

In the meantime, for starters you can self-evaluate your silver dollars by comparison: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Dollars

A little OT -
    Thanks for that link (and the root - https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/). Another thing I learned since I've been posting here.
    (Along with meaning of "newp", "b/m", "TPG" ... which threw me cuz I'd abbrev it 3PG - in code we have references to "3rdParty" content.)
    Now that I'm pretty much thru with my proof coins from the 80s to 2021, and on to whats new from late 2021 to now, starting to eye some old raw coins I collected some decades ago when I 1st started. That helps with attempting a grade for approximate value when submitting.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum! You should be able to post images in a couple of days... that would help being able to evaluate. Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:

@COCollector said:

A little OT -
    Thanks for that link (and the root - https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/). Another thing I learned since I've been posting here.
    (Along with meaning of "newp", "b/m", "TPG" ... which threw me cuz I'd abbrev it 3PG - in code we have references to "3rdParty" content.)
    Now that I'm pretty much thru with my proof coins from the 80s to 2021, and on to whats new from late 2021 to now, starting to eye some old raw coins I collected some decades ago when I 1st started. That helps with attempting a grade for approximate value when submitting.

This assumes you are submitting... is that an integral part of your plans?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@COCollector said:

A little OT -

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but ... getting the old raw coins graded is not set in stone. Theres a few 1800s and early 1900s that I wasnt going to have done, but seeing what others seem to have had graded, I may put an order together and send in at some point in the future. They're not in that fantastic of shape, and not entirely sure they'd be "details" either (have not had experience with that - yet). But it may be good to see what they'd grade at, and have them slabbed.

Still, gotta settle down after the several thou $ I put in on the "big push" (getting PCGS graded) of my proof coins over the last couple of years.

• Options

@stawick said:

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@COCollector said:

A little OT -

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but ... getting the old raw coins graded is not set in stone. Theres a few 1800s and early 1900s that I wasnt going to have done, but seeing what others seem to have had graded, I may put an order together and send in at some point in the future. They're not in that fantastic of shape, and not entirely sure they'd be "details" either (have not had experience with that - yet). But it may be good to see what they'd grade at, and have them slabbed.

Still, gotta settle down after the several thou $ I put in on the "big push" (getting PCGS graded) of my proof coins over the last couple of years.

Just wondering. Many would say that it isn't worth having coins slabbed if the coins aren't worth at least $100-$200. That because slabbing coins worth less than that won't increase their resale value more than the cost of grading.

Others aren't so worried about profit, and want e.g. a matching set of slabbed coins in their collection.

Still others just like the guarantee of authenticity.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@COCollector said:

A little OT -

Just wondering. Many would say that it isn't worth having coins slabbed if the coins aren't worth at least $100-$200. That because slabbing coins worth less than that won't increase their resale value more than the cost of grading.

Others aren't so worried about profit, and want e.g. a matching set of slabbed coins in their collection.

Ah, yes, I see, gotcha. Kinda what I thought.
    In my case, I got the grading "bug" and went all-out with all of my proofs, to maybe help my next o'kin (nieces - NOT collectors at all) when they get them, and may want to get rid of them.
    But yes, these older raw coins I may just drop some $ on them, just to satisfy my curiosity maybe - and have them authenticated and graded. Even tho it may not be worth it in the long run. I'll have to be more selective about which ones I want to submit. The real old ones (I had for decades) are kinda interesting and may want to preserve them in a slab.
    Its kinda the approach when I sent in my 2019-W quarter I got in change. I may have just broken even (more likely, not) between grading fees and its value.

• Options

@stawick said:

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@moursund said:

@stawick said:

@COCollector said:

A little OT -

Ah, yes, I see, gotcha. Kinda what I thought.
    In my case, I got the grading "bug" and went all-out with all of my proofs, to maybe help my next o'kin (nieces - NOT collectors at all) when they get them, and may want to get rid of them.
    But yes, these older raw coins I may just drop some $ on them, just to satisfy my curiosity maybe - and have them authenticated and graded. Even tho it may not be worth it in the long run. I'll have to be more selective about which ones I want to submit. The real old ones (I had for decades) are kinda interesting and may want to preserve them in a slab.
    Its kinda the approach when I sent in my 2019-W quarter I got in change. I may have just broken even (more likely, not) between grading fees and its value.

I have't sent in anything for grading myself, but the other common wisdom is, the experience of having your coins slabbed will greatly refine your own grading skills (if you compare your expectations to reality)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file