Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Flash - Gold Rush

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey all - been collecting since a kid, but took a break from around 11 years old until last summer at 41. I was surprised to see how expensive coins had gotten but was happy to be back into the hobby. Since refocusing on my old passion, I noticed that my affinity for gold had changed, and if felt like I was "buying too much silver" if there is such a thing :) ...finally bought a Palau $1 1/10th ounce gold coin and was hooked. (as a side note I am not buying gold from a commodities perspective, nor am I trying to hedge inflation....just like gold coins)

Anyone have some pictures of your prize possessions?
Also, why do so many people talk about "only wanting to collect gold pre-1933".

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post 1933 US gold is either bullion or made for collector commemoratives.

All glory is fleeting.
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Post 1933 US gold is either bullion or made for collector commemoratives.

Thanks - makes sense. Always wondered how these newer coins age in popularity given the fact that there are so many 70s.

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Welcome! My first and my favorite 😉. I am a gold collector with a silver budget.
    One never knows as these were gifted but too much silver?🙀 I guess when it gets too heavy to move , it might be time to condense it to some gold . 😸

I've decided there has never been an ugly gold coin. How old are those?

My "too much silver" came from collecting Eagles. Noticed that I started chasing labels and took a pause realizing that made no sense at all.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 7:56AM

1863 & 67. Maybe, my old eyes suck. The dates are on the reverse, just mixed in with the lettering. What say you?
    They are new to me and I haven’t stopped banging my walker on the floor and shouting with joy. Not much research yet but I believe they are 1/2 Escudos. These say Mexico and there are others from Spain (1700’s) Those are related to “pieces of eight “.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Swampboy said:
    Hey

I started back after a decades long hiatus too.
    I began buying 1/10th ozers on eBay until I stumbled onto this Forum.
    Pre-1933, classic U.S. gold, is fun to collect and I have most denominations but I also enjoy collecting generic bullion from other countries.
    This is my oldest gold coin. It dates to 556 A.D. approx.
    Roman emperor Emperor Justin II....

Wow. Wonderful looking piece of history. How did you find it? Worth preserving via grading?

Checked my profile and looks like I joined here in 2001 (must have intended to start colleting back then but just got around to it 20 years later).

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    1863 & 67. Maybe, my old eyes suck. The dates are on the reverse, just mixed in with the lettering. What say you?
    They are new to me and I haven’t stopped banging my walker on the floor and shouting with joy. Not much research yet but I believe they are 1/2 Escudos. These say Mexico and there are others from Spain (1700’s) Those are related to “pieces of eight “.

I went back and looked close. You're right on the dates. Wonderful find.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome back to the forums ++
    You probably won't find any gold coins in your walls or back yard. Most people buy at auctions, dealers, other selling locations ...
    People preferring pre- 33 gold is personal preference, just like some people are not too keen on clad stuff 1965 and later. I like ASEs that have toned and are beautiful like a painting. I have had some gold buffalos (2008-W on). Most modern bullion does not do much for me as they all look the same.
    Here is a worn 1854 five dollar gold from New Orleans that I will submit with my next group.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many folks like pre 1933 gold better than the modern as old gold has developed a patina in many cases. Where modern AGE's and such are currently thought of as just bullion. There are some very nice modern gold pieces and designs and perhaps over time they too will develop a larger collector base as they age.

Welcome back to coin collecting and the forum.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 those are two nice gold coins.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the forum @johnny010 . Gotta love the yellow metal.

@davewesen said:
    welcome back to the forums ++
    You probably won't find any gold coins in your walls or back yard. Most people buy at auctions, dealers, other selling locations ...
    People preferring pre- 33 gold is personal preference, just like some people are not too keen on clad stuff 1965 and later. I like ASEs that have toned and are beautiful like a painting. I have had some gold buffalos (2008-W on). Most modern bullion does not do much for me as they all look the same.
    Here is a worn 1854 five dollar gold from New Orleans that I will submit with my next group.

Yea was reading about the CA couple that found 12 tins full of gold in their back yard when they were out walking their dog. Could definitely go that route. Think they sold the coins to ....
    Started down the toned route, but changed course since many of them did not resemble their TrueView photos.

Do you submit to protect them? Assuming you're not after a grade...

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am after a grade for my lowball gold type registry set

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like gold coins.... Old, new.... no matter what they are called. I collect gold, I stack gold... graded, ungraded.... Perhaps I am a 'gold bug'... no matter, makes me happy. Cheers, RickO

@divecchia said:
    Welcome aboard or should I say welcome back! @johnny010

Nice looking gold. I love all gold new and old, but collect old gold only right now.

Below is my favorite piece.

Donato

This is next on my list actually. Or possibly one of the 11 Ultra High Reliefs if someone knows of someone that has one?

Watch the BST

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a map indicating all the places where raw gold has been found, something like the maps that AT&T and Verizon tout for their coverage on commercials.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Watch the BST

What is BST please?

edited January 26, 2022 1:29PM

Sorry. Buy sell trade. It’s a service offered here. Go to forum list and scroll down. I found the giveaway forum and the metals forum. 👍🏼

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome,
    I collect older gold coins as I find them extremely attractive. The problem is I’ll never have enough. Here’s s couple from my collection.
    Happy hunting

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

@crazyhounddog said:
    Welcome,
    I collect older gold coins as I find them extremely attractive. The problem is I’ll never have enough. Here’s s couple from my collection.
    Happy hunting

These look excellent. That 1914 has something about it. Very nice!

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Sorry. Buy sell trade. It’s a service offered here. Go to forum list and scroll down. I found the giveaway forum and the metals forum. 👍🏼

Thanks, makes sense. I'm assuming to buy the UHR version it will take someone who knows someone etc. since there are only a handful out there.

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few of mine. I have about 30 others but no pictures. Love gold!

@coinnut said:
    Here's a few of mine. I have about 30 others but no pictures. Love gold!

Now we're talking. If you could only take three ....which ones?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file