Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 Homestead Extra Chimney, Die Chip.

Hello all, wanted to share that I have pulled 3 different what I am calling the Extra Chiminy. I have tried to find another on line but yet to locate it. I will share just the Die chip photos. I am having problems getting clear and focused photos of full coins. They are in focus when I take the picture, and when I zoom in their blurry. Has anyone else seen this Die Chip before? Here are two different ones.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many ATB quarters have die chips. They can be interesting, but minor ones like this rarely carry a premium

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

That is true, how many are in place to look like a extra Chimney? I have seen alot they all snow on the roof, but only three like this. Still fun to find. Coin Collecting is about finding things that intrest the individual its not about a premium. Though that is always nice. There still may be someone outthere that may pay a nice price for something like this. Even if it sells for $5.00 its a very nice profit for a 25 cent piece. I would take that profit anyday. LOL

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:
    That is true, how many are in place to look like a extra Chimney? I have seen alot they all snow on the roof, but only three like this. Still fun to find. Coin Collecting is about finding things that intrest the individual its not about a premium. Though that is always nice. There still may be someone outthere that may pay a nice price for something like this. Even if it sells for $5.00 its a very nice profit for a 25 cent piece. I would take that profit anyday. LOL

1. You haven't demonstrated you can get $5 for it.
    2. If it took you an hour to find one, you didn't make a profit, you lost $10 you could have made working at Walmart.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many of the Homestead errors will end up being recognized by the grading companies...
    Let's see...including your "extra chimney", there's the "pump reflection error", the "snow on roof shingles", the "extra shingles", the "WDDR-004" extra pump handle, the "Leaky Bucket", the "DDR-002", the "DDR-107"... am I missing any? :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@arby96 said:

2. If it took you an hour to find one, you didn't make a profit, you lost $10 you could have made working at Walmart.

Maybe he searches rolls while working at Walmart... ;)

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

1 Don't have to demonstrate anything, just look on Ebay and other auction sites and one can come to a logical conclusion its possible. Though most of these types sell for less than 5 buck there are many that do sell for more. That is why its a auction.
    2 You have no idea how long it took me to locate this quarter wheather it was 1 hour or 2 minutes. So your comments are just that. A waist of time. There was really no reason other than be rude to post your comments. Really no reason to be rude.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 9:25PM

If you can hype it up then it might become a sought after variety.

As for the time spent finding them, I wouldn't quit your day job, but if this is your relaxing downtime then it is time well spent.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

1 Don't have to demonstrate anything, just look on Ebay and other auction sites and one can come to a logical conclusion its possible. Though most of these types sell for less than 5 buck there are many that do sell for more. That is why its a auction.
    2 You have no idea how long it took me to locate this quarter wheather it was 1 hour or 2 minutes. So your comments are just that. A waist of time. There was really no reason other than be rude to post your comments. Really no reason to be rude.

Don't take it personally. It's a nice extra chimney!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2022 5:56PM

@arby96 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I said "If".

It's an observation based on experience. Nothing "rude" about it.

Thank you for your friendly comment.

My "hour" was no more or less speculative than your "$5".

As long as you're having fun. I just wouldn't ascribe a profit motive to hunting these low level errors. They are notoriously tough sells.

• Options

It's a minor die chip and minor die chips are relatively common on quarters. Giving it a catchy name, doesn't make it any rarer. All it does is fool newer collectors into thinking it's something special, which it isn't.

In God we Rust minor filled dies, spitting eagle minor die clashes, snow on the roof minor die chips; all are a common minor errors. Yet people fall for the hype and pay for the name, not the error. If you like them and want to collect them, great, but please don't add to the hype and take advantage of new error collectors.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@arby96 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I said "If".

As long as you're having fun. I just wouldn't ascribe a profit motive to hunting these low level errors. They are notoriously tough sells.

Jmlanzaf, I find it interesting that there are individuals out there I call Coin Collecting Snobs, Not calling you one. They remind me of the individuals I call Wine Snobs, those are the individuals that have to pour a small amount into a glass, swirl the wine in the glass, Take a Sniff and than take a sip, swish it aroung in their mouth to decide if they like it or not. As long as one is having fun in the numismatics hobby I don't judge anyone for what they like to collect. Its called a hobby for a reason. I'm retired so my time is cheap. When individuals make the kind of comments you have made it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth and they choose to post their finds else where to find a more friendly avenue. Maybe that is why I haven't posted here in such a long time. Oh well Enjoy the Numismatics Hobby.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

You found something interesting

That’s the fun is coin hunting

Good for you that you’re enjoying yourself.

At least you’re not casting aspersions over Walmart workers on a public coin forum where low blows shouldn’t happen

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    It's a minor die chip and minor die chips are relatively common on quarters. Giving it a catchy name, doesn't make it any rarer. All it does is fool newer collectors into thinking it's something special, which it isn't.

In God we Rust minor filled dies, spitting eagle minor die clashes, snow on the roof minor die chips; all are a common minor errors. Yet people fall for the hype and pay for the name, not the error. If you like them and want to collect them, great, but please don't add to the hype and take advantage of new error collectors.

Another assumtion, I have been collecting coins since the age of 13. Now 61 years young. I understand that people collect what they like. I am not the individual that post a coin for sale calling something its not. An opinion and what someone calls a coin they find is just that. Who called the Snow on the roof, I bet it was someone that saw it and to them that is what it looks like. I know the individuals you are refering too, and you have made a wrong assumtion about me. So lets just keep is kind and let individuals collect what they like with belittling them or trying to make them out to be something they are not. Please if you can't be nice say nothing at all. Responding to these types of comments like you first posted makes it unfun to post things. Please feel free not to comment on my post. I am here to share what I have found, ask questions and also relearn things I may have forgotten over the year. Have a nice evening, no ill will intended.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2022 6:45PM

@arby96 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Another assumtion, I have been collecting coins since the age of 13. Now 61 years young. I understand that people collect what they like. I am not the individual that post a coin for sale calling something its not. An opinion and what someone calls a coin they find is just that. Who called the Snow on the roof, I bet it was someone that saw it and to them that is what it looks like. I know the individuals you are refering too, and you have made a wrong assumtion about me. So lets just keep is kind and let individuals collect what they like with belittling them or trying to make them out to be something they are not. Please if you can't be nice say nothing at all. Responding to these types of comments like you first posted makes it unfun to post things. Please feel free not to comment on my post. I am here to share what I have found, ask questions and also relearn things I may have forgotten over the year. Have a nice evening, no ill will intended.

Did you note the last line of my post?

"If you like them and want to collect them, great, but please don't add to the hype and take advantage of new error collectors. "

I said nothing belittling. I am concerned with the proliferation of minor errors being Hyped as rare and valuable. When you posted It sounded like you were joining the hype.

"There still may be someone outthere that may pay a nice price for something like this. Even if it sells for $5.00 its a very nice profit for a 25 cent piece. I would take that profit anyday. LOL"

Give it a catchy name, post it on eBay and find some newbie who falls for the gimmick. EBay is full of that crap. Many members here put a lot of effort into helping new collectors, and hate to see people taking advantage of them. Not saying you would, but that's how your response above could be interpreted, IMO.

BTW: I'll feel free to comment on any post I wish. If you don't like it, the site has an ignore button

• Options

@arby96 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@arby96 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I said "If".

Jmlanzaf, I find it interesting that there are individuals out there I call Coin Collecting Snobs, Not calling you one. They remind me of the individuals I call Wine Snobs, those are the individuals that have to pour a small amount into a glass, swirl the wine in the glass, Take a Sniff and than take a sip, swish it aroung in their mouth to decide if they like it or not. As long as one is having fun in the numismatics hobby I don't judge anyone for what they like to collect. Its called a hobby for a reason. I'm retired so my time is cheap. When individuals make the kind of comments you have made it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth and they choose to post their finds else where to find a more friendly avenue. Maybe that is why I haven't posted here in such a long time. Oh well Enjoy the Numismatics Hobby.

I hate coin snobs. I mostly collect junk because I'm cheap. I also don't think people should collect coins for profit, it takes the fun out of it.

FWIW

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

"If you like them and want to collect them, great, but please don't add to the hype and take advantage of new error collectors. "

I said nothing belittling. I am concerned with the proliferation of minor errors being Hyped as rare and valuable. When you posted It sounded like you were joining the hype.

"There still may be someone outthere that may pay a nice price for something like this. Even if it sells for $5.00 its a very nice profit for a 25 cent piece. I would take that profit anyday. LOL"

Give it a catchy name, post it on eBay and find some newbie who falls for the gimmick. EBay is full of that crap. Many members here put a lot of effort into helping new collectors, and hate to see people taking advantage of them. Not saying you would, but that's how your response above could be interpreted, IMO.

BTW: I'll feel free to comment on any post I wish. If you don't like it, the site has an ignore button

Every blog has individuals that like to make assumtions and leave unwanted comments. I believe they do this just to get their numbers up and like to stir up trouble. They think they are helping by assuming that individuals make post to hype things. I doubt that and that was your first assumtion. For a ANA member since 1982 you should know better.

• Options

@arby96 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Every blog has individuals that like to make assumtions and leave unwanted comments. I believe they do this just to get their numbers up and like to stir up trouble. They think they are helping by assuming that individuals make post to hype things. I doubt that and that was your first assumtion. For a ANA member since 1982 you should know better.

You are entitled to your incorrect opinion

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

You are entitled to your incorrect opinion

My point has been made, Thank you for not letting me down!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 6:37PM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 ... Thanks for the pictures in the OP. I did not know what 'extra chimney' looked like. Pictures help to inform other collectors about new finds... even strangely placed die chips. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file