Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a few tips from an ebay dealer

CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2022 4:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

please

do not include a little 'note' telling me how to carefully package your item. i know how to package stuff. stop it.

stop telling me to send you tracking numbers once it's mailed. it's automatic.

if you don't see a box in the pictures, don't ask me if a box is included.

if you don't see a COA don't ask me if a COA is included.

don't ask me what i'd grade the coin. it's up to you.

stop asking me if the item pictured is the same item you'll receive. of course it is.

stop sending offers that are like 30% of the asking price. it's ridiculous.

if your tracking numbers say it should've been there today but it didn't show up, don't assume i can magically make it arrive right now by emailing me about it. be patient. for christ's sake.. i have no control over the USPS.

look at the pictures. i upload giant pics for a reason.

read the description. i can't tell you how many times people ignore this.

do not wait DAYS to pay for it. this is annoying.

above all.. stop asking me dumb questions. i've hit a point where i just delete them.

i know this may come off as asshole-ish, but believe me, 20 years of this will drive you to the point of starting threads like this.

the very best customers are the ones that pay immediately and then get it in the mail when it arrives. zero communication. we keep it simple. i like you guys a lot.

to the rest of you: stop bugging us with moronic nonsense.

thank you very much

sigh

Comments

• Options

you go sell stuff on ebay for decades and deal with the general public

see what happens

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot one, they ask if you will combine shipping when the listing says free shipping. :D

After 20 years you should be use to it buy now. ;)

• Options

i hit a point where i couldn't take the "do you combine shipping?" anymore years ago

• Options

"Do you have this complaint list on your EBay page"

there is no 'ebay page' to post this on. you don't even know what you're talking about.

it's astounding... dealing with people is completely astounding.

i welcome normal people

i'm sick of nonsense. which, for some reason, is constant.

• Options

"Do you have this complaint list on your EBay page"

"there is no 'ebay page' to post this on."

Just put it in with your item description on all your listings. ;)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 4:38PM

I understand your frustration. I'm not only an eBay dealer (since 1999), I'm also a show rep for ANACS (since 2013), where I answer questions, give opinions, and take coin submissions for grading. I'm thinking of writing a book someday about some of my interactions. My wife, who hangs out at the table with me from time to time, frequently tells me a I'm a saint for how I interact with some of the customers.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

ya see? it's weird...

80% of you are easy to deal with

20% say things like "rarely visits for more than a drive by parking lot find post"

it's so bizzare

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:
    please

do not include a little 'note' telling me how to carefully package your item. i know how to package stuff. stop it.

stop telling me to send you tracking numbers once it's mailed. it's automatic.

if you don't see a box in the pictures, don't ask me if a box is included.

if you don't see a COA don't ask me if a COA is included.

don't ask me what i'd grade the coin. it's up to you.

stop asking me if the item pictured is the same item you'll receive. of course it is.

stop sending offers that are like 30% of the asking price. it's ridiculous.

if your tracking numbers say it should've been there today but it didn't show up, don't assume i can magically make it arrive right now by emailing me about it. be patient. for christ's sake.. i have no control over the USPS.

look at the pictures. i upload giant pics for a reason.

do not wait DAYS to pay for it. this is annoying.

above all.. stop asking me dumb questions. i've hit a point where i just delete them.

i know this may come off as asshole-ish, but believe me, 20 years of this will drive you to the point of starting threads like this.

the very best customers are the ones that pay immediately and then get it in the mail when it arrives. zero communication. we keep it simple. i like you guys a lot.

to the rest of you: stop bugging us with moronic nonsense.

thank you very much

sigh

time for vacation...my favorite.. seller emails me 1 hr after auction close asking for payment ... then makes the shiping label ...gets the money.. ships 8 days after label made & getting payment

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

"stop sending offers that are like 30% of the asking price. it's ridiculous" this is what I always get from ebay buyers or what is my best offer while I only offer BIN. The next question is what is the weight of the coin?

• Options

it's simply incredible....

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Make sure to let me know you eBay handle. I'll block myself. ;)

it's COINSNIOC

if you're truly a dunce i honestly want nothing to do with you. i don't even want your money.

• Options

ugh

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Make sure to let me know you eBay handle. I'll block myself. ;)

it's COINSNIOC

if you're truly a dunce i honestly want nothing to do with you. i don't even want your money.

Thanks! I doubt you'd have anything I'd be interested in anyway.

As far as insulting my level of intellect ... despite my run on sentences and occasional typo's ... you might want to check yourself there. Pretty sure in my field, and a few other places, you'd be facing one hell of an uphill battle.

I COULD have said,

The general population DOESN'T live here (at least not for long), and rarely visits for more than to show a drive-by parking lot find, or to profess they are an eBay dealer, and then complain about all their imbecile customers.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

WHAT

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bold of you CoinCoins!
    Took some huevos to post here knowing you would get super flamed so I appreciate your frustration and candor.
    Although. I suspect the eBay 20% you are annoyed with aren’t much here.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is too bad only half the eBay sellers do those things you list

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:

One of the biggest problems right here. Unfortunately, I have had a live eBay CS rep tell me they don't require that prospective buyers actually read the descriptions.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 5:28PM

This is your description. Off your site. What the dang heck are you doing? Ask for what is happening and then rip on people for doing what you want?🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

We all need to vent sometimes, maybe this isn't the best place though, idk.

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

I founded my company in 1994. I am also a full-time online vendor who started on eBay. While I no longer deal with the day-to-day activities of my corporation, you will not hear me flame this guy.
    I know firsthand his frustration. You get to the point you can tell a problem customer from their first email.
    My oldest son, who's taken over my position, is a saint. He has the patience of Job.
    I do not.

• Options

"Ask for what is happening and then rip on people for doing what you want?"

it never ends

• Options

@Metal said:
    I founded my company in 1994. I am also a full-time online vendor who started on eBay. While I no longer deal with the day-to-day activities of my corporation, you will not hear me flame this guy.
    I know firsthand his frustration. You get to the point you can tell a problem customer from their first email.
    My oldest son, who's taken over my position, is a saint. He has the patience of Job.
    I do not.

thank you

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:

1) do not include a little 'note' telling me how to carefully package your item. i know how to package stuff. stop it.

Me... I only ship coins. Sealers, bubble wrap, popcorn. Only Registered shipments. If the customer wishes any other method I am very cordial and say... please cancel the order.

2)stop telling me to send you tracking numbers once it's mailed. it's automatic.

ME... I send a PM after shipment with tracking and add the tracking on E-Bay.

3) if you don't see a box in the pictures, don't ask me if a box is included.

I sell coins not boxes so I'm unsure how to answer?

4) if you don't see a COA don't ask me if a COA is included.

ME....I sell slabbed coins only so....

5) don't ask me what i'd grade the coin. it's up to you.

ME... Since I only sell slabbed coins... I tell them they bought a PCGS slabbed 63 for instance. PCGS hasn't asked me to advise on their grades.

6)stop asking me if the item pictured is the same item you'll receive. of course it is.

Me... The big online sellers create the uncertainty over whether I will receive the coin pictured.. Often they use stock photos.

7) stop sending offers that are like 30% of the asking price. it's ridiculous.

I receive those all the time. We must have have the same customers looking at our offerings. I wonder, Do they ever buy anything?

8) if your tracking numbers say it should've been there today but it didn't show up, don't assume i can magically make it arrive right now by emailing me about it. be patient. for christ's sake.. i have no control over the USPS.

When I say Registered.. few complain. They are familiar with the delays and usually they understand. I do push the PO (if possible) by opening investigations and send the play by play to the customer.

9) look at the pictures. i upload giant pics for a reason.

Our scans are horrible so Kudos to you.

10) read the description. i can't tell you how many times people ignore this.

I was talking to my 4 year old granddaughter about reading a book. She says, "why ? just look at the pictures". Same, same?

11) do not wait DAYS to pay for it. this is annoying.

Usually I'm paid right away. I don't pack the shipment or count on a sale until the payment is made.

12)above all.. stop asking me dumb questions. i've hit a point where i just delete them.

Some people are lonely and need to talk to someone. You're up.

13)i know this may come off as asshole-ish, but believe me, 20 years of this will drive you to the point of starting threads like this.

Having a bad week? Next week the issues will be the same. You'll just handle them better.

14) the very best customers are the ones that pay immediately and then get it in the mail when it arrives. zero communication. we keep it simple. i like you guys a lot.

I like no one. I can't control the delivery. If you're unhappy... return the coin. Too many returns and I'll go off E-Bay.

15)to the rest of you: stop bugging us with moronic nonsense.

I resemble that remark.

thank you very much

Don't thank us. There will be a bill for our advice sent via mail.

• Options

"this world is overloaded with weirdos"

Yep and it just gets worse with each passing day. :/

If ya can't beat em' join em' :p

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Dude, for your recent negative feedback, the description of the associated listing clearly spells out an NGC slabbed MS63. Your picture may show that of a raw coin that is clearly circulated, but perhaps the buyer thought you made an error with the picture. You should have double checked your work. You failed to do so, and then proceed to tell the world the buyer can't think.

Yep, you are a real winner. And, if you get offended by people asking you those simple questions, then I agree with the previous posters...of which there are many...it is time for you to hang up the old hat and move along to something else you may find less offensive.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

My simple request is that eBay is dropping the ability to "sell one like this" feature that allows sellers to list a coin that is NOT pcgs certified (although listed as if it is) and is always multiples of value.

Regarding the OP's grievances. These statements individually make sense. Cobbled together, though, makes the seller sound disgruntled.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably time to stop digging.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    AS a buyer on E-Bay I never assume anything. I send a PM and state that the picture shows a raw coin. The field show NGC 63. Which is correct? Thank you.

This is why I don't like "Item specifics". There's too many chances to make a data entry error when the same information is included in multiple places.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:
    lemme ask you/anyone.. if you saw a raw coin.. PICTURES OF A RAW COIN.. on ebay, and it said 'NGC 63' in the "fields".. would you assume you'd get a slab in the mail, or would you think maybe it was an oversight on the sellers behalf... ya know, since there are pictures of a RAW COIN, MAYBE he just failed to adjust the listing..

all i did was list an NGC 63 prior, and then "sell similar" and missed adjusting the specs by accident on the next one. whoops.

11,000+ positive feedbacks, 20 years on ebay, top rated seller, with 99.9% positive feedback..

that guy was as dumb as they come. literally one of the dumbest people i've ever dealt with. 23k transactions...

ebay is a sespool of stupidity

*cesspool

• Options

gratzi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file