Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1996 wide am Lincoln penny

I need a lil bit if Feedback on this penny I heard that only one was ever found but was stolen I recently found this one

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look like a wide AM to me.

• Options

Yea I’m not to sure the a and the m are not touching and the letters seem to be perfect like no die break or anything

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 2:55AM

I'm thinking not ... what do you think?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a wide AM

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not a wide AM....Good pictures, that clearly shows it is not....Good luck in your search. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole 1996 wide AM story is malarkey. It doesn't exist.
    Unfortunately, for an otherwise very respected Lincoln cent variety guy, the finder had a "momentary lapse of reason" (made a mistake) and compounded that with an outlandish story of someone...wait for it...stealing his cent before any other pair of human eyes could verify his discovery.
    Sound legit?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Unfortunately, for an otherwise very respected Lincoln cent variety guy, the finder had a "momentary lapse of reason" (made a mistake) and compounded that with an outlandish story of someone...wait for it...stealing his cent before any other pair of human eyes could verify his discovery.
    Sound legit?

Agree. But I sheepishly admit that I still check any 1996 cents I get in change.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@DCW said:
    Sound legit?

Agree. But I sheepishly admit that I still check any 1996 cents I get in change.

:D me too :D

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I never read the story or the tale. Think of the time I would have wasted turning over every 1996 and then grabbing the loupe to confirm. 2,500 coins per box times hundreds of boxes divided by how many were 1996 times 30 seconds each.
    I no longer turn over 98, 99, or 2000's either unless there high quality. 88's sometimes and 92's always.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with looking at a 1996 cent. Discoveries happen all the time!
    And, by the way, there is a really nice ddo for the date.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    Nothing wrong with looking at a 1996 cent. Discoveries happen all the time!
    And, by the way, there is a really nice ddo for the date.

Oh Crud, my luck I probably missed one by now. I just saw the listing on Coinfacts but no pic. I'll check the other sites then my collection to see if I could get so lucky.
    Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 3:55PM

Close AM. I wish you found a Wide AM! That would have been wonderfully cool!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

@ernie11 said:

@DCW said:
    Sound legit?

:D me too :D

Me three.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I no longer turn over 98, 99, or 2000's either unless there high quality. 88's sometimes and 92's always.

First of all, you don't know how excited you got me when first seeing your thread! Man-n, I really thought someone had finally found one! Oh well, the hunt continues... About what CoinscratchFever said about not even searching any 98,99, or 2000's either unless high quality. The 1999, even in lower grades, still profitable. The 92's, any condition!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Wide AMs were rare, with the possible exception of the 2000, and loads of fun to look for. There was always the tantalizing search for the "possible" Wide AMs from '93 through '97 as well. (I thought I found one in a B&M junk box. Coin World fame danced in my head, until I noted that the coin's date had been mislabeled on the flip :(

The prices on these have really tumbled in recent years, though, even on the 1992 Close AMs.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

First of all, you don't know how excited you got me when first seeing your thread! Man-n, I really thought someone had finally found one! Oh well, the hunt continues... About what CoinscratchFever said about not even searching any 98,99, or 2000's either unless high quality. The 1999, even in lower grades, still profitable. The 92's, any condition!

I was excited too because I have never found one. I read somewhere the wide am 2000's were worth about $20 but that the 98's garnered more.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@joeykoins said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I was excited too because I have never found one. I read somewhere the wide am 2000's were worth about $20 but that the 98's garnered more.

Yes, 2000 was the least valuable, 98 worth a tad more but the 99. That's the Big one! $$$

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I'm thinking not ... what do you think?

Just a heads up on the style of the designers mark regarding the close and wide...It's not always true to form.
    Exibit A:

• Options

B

• Options

@emeraldATV
    I believe your coin is a fake.

• Options

HUH ?

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

create your own new thread, rather than replying to some very old one...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

here is the image, for those too lazy or prudent to follow the link :wink:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just a normal close AM reverse with some black gunk (and perhaps a bit of die erosion) making the "A" and "M" look farther apart.

The other pickup points confirm that it is a close AM (e.g, the "FG" initials and the positioning of the "A" and "T" in "STATES".

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cjeffares said:
    Found this 1996 Lincoln Cent Wide AM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i388/cjeffares/Image_2022-01-11_06_13_33_468.JPG?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

@moursund said:

@moursund said:

here is the image, for those too lazy or prudent to follow the link :wink:

You can start your own thread but it's not a WAM - just a spender

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2022 6:10AM

I don't look at cents from any year for "AM" differences.Not that they're not cool. I've just got my hands full looking for a 1983 bronze.Don't know if 1983-D bronze is supposed to exist but I weigh all 1983 pennies that I find anyway.

OP,great pictures. ;)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file