Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Bye 2021 and Happy 2022

AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2022 4:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought I would drop in and say hi to my friends and US. Coin Forum members! As we say good bye to 2021, around mid year PCGS held two coin competitions. One for the 2021 US. Toned Coins that was sponsored by Legend Rare Coin Auctions and one for the 2021 World Toned Coins sponsored by Stephen Album Rare Coins.

I entered the maximum number allowed of 20 coins in each category consisting of 15 Morgan Dollars and 5 Type Coins for my US entry and 20 Coins from my Canadian Coin Collection for my World entry...

As it turns out I had very nice success, ending up with 1st place in the US Competition and 2nd place in the World Competition and I would very much like to thank both sponsors for their generosity as well as PCGS for all their time and effort for putting on such a wonderful and fun event...

If anyone is interested there are more details on each coin that I had written for all my entered US. category coins as well as Trueviews and my entered Canadian Set... Its easy to find on a computer and by being a PCGS member! On PCGS home page go to Registry then click on Showcase and you will see both Competitions... On your cell phone is a little different, just go to PCGS home page then click on Registry then youll see a box with Explore written in it, then hit the arrow down and a drop down list will appear and click on Collectors Showcase...

I highly recommend the PCGS Registry, as its a great way to keep track of your coins in a proper inventory and to view the beautiful Trueviews that will accompany your submissions to PCGS...

Below I have included pics of yours truly getting ready to head into one of the Legend Auctions that is done in conjunction with the PCGS Members Only Shows... It`s a great venue with great hospitality, great food and snacks and wonderful world class coins... I highly recommend taking it in and most of the time it is held in Vegas for an added bonus! As well I have included pics of my two award Plaques from PCGS as well as the 20 coins that were in my US. competition set.

I hope you enjoy this post and I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year... AB

"Killer Tomato" MS68+

"The Moose" MS68+

"Neon Tetra" MS68+

"Perfect Rainbow" MS68+

"Stitched Perfection" MS68+

"Purple Moose" MS68

"Crimson And Clover" MS68

"Purity" MS68

"Oracle" MS67+

"Mother Nature" MS67

"Grease Lightning" MS67

"Stars And Stripes Forever" MS67

"Tutti Fruitti" MS67

"Pizzazz" MS67+

"Aurora Borealis" MS66+

MS66FBL

MS66FH

MS69FB

MS68+

MS66

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy 2022 to you too. Congrats on your well deserved registry success … wow what a long line of stunners! ⭐️

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    That Buff left me speechless. What a beauty!
    Happy New Year!

MANY of those coins are absolute stunners! Nice eye candy for the new year. Thanks! :)

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well deserved win there! PCGS website is not working at the moment and I was trying to view your 51 S Rosie, what a stunner!
    Happy New Year.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the quarter.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

How did they all get toned?

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis I know these are the best of the best you have. I couldn't imagine trying to pick the coins for the competition, especially with all of the ones you have. Maybe you could publish a coffee table book showing all of your treasures. 👏👏

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing toners!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous group and congratulations on your well-deserved awards!

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroaBorealis you have such a fantastic collection. I tried hard to beat it but ended up short in the end with 2nd place. Congratulations and in awe of your collections.

• Options

@Inspired70 said:
    @AuroaBorealis you have such a fantastic collection. I tried hard to beat it but ended up short in the end with 2nd place. Congratulations and in awe of your collections.

Thank you very much and I do appreciate the kind words! Congratulations to yourself @Inspired70 your dedication and your eye for quality after viewing your fine pieces are most definitely top notch!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice - congrats on both awards! :+1:

That 38-D Buff would go well with my collection ....... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Nice - congrats on both awards! :+1:

That 38-D Buff would go well with my collection ....... :D

Thank you Tim! Happy New Year buddy!

• Options

@charlesf20 said:
    How did they all get toned?

Good question... Each Morgan Dollar in this group appear to be typical original Mint bag toned... Many Millions of Morgan Dollars were stored back in the day in canvas bags from the different Mints... After many years in storage the coins that were in contact with canvas cloth of the mint bag would tarnish as silver will over time... Some would have beautiful rainbow colors and some not so pretty... Depended on many different factors... As for the toning on the 5 Type coins that I posted if you follow my instructions to view my set in the competition registry I explain the most likely way that each individual coin had toned...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroaBorealis .... Congratulations on your collection wins and well deserved. You certainly sought and acquired some amazing examples. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the descriptive word being used in this thread....stunners!! Happy 2022!!!

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

AB, Happy New Year to you and yours! Stunning coins, one and all. I think I recognize a couple of those monster toned Morgans!! :smirk:

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coins Wayne! Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice photo and coins

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn nice!
    I bet they're even prettier in hand (if that is even possible) as the luster must be booming.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the rewards, Wayne. Well deserved, your toned coins are amazing.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @AuroaBorealis .... Congratulations on your collection wins and well deserved. You certainly sought and acquired some amazing examples. Cheers, RickO

Thank you Rick and Happy New Year buddy! I hope you have a very great one!

• Options

@BigMoose said:
    AB, Happy New Year to you and yours! Stunning coins, one and all. I think I recognize a couple of those monster toned Morgans!! :smirk:

Thank you Tom and I hope you have a wonderful 2022!

• Options

@SkyMan said:
    Gorgeous coins Wayne! Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

Thank you Sy and I hope you a wonderful 2022...

• Options

@TONEDDOLLARS said:
    Congrats on the rewards, Wayne. Well deserved, your toned coins are amazing.

Thank you Jack!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! Very inspiring. Hate to say it... my favorite might be "Tutti Frutti!" "The Moose" and "Neon Tetra" are also up there.

I am curious if you have always collected toners like this, or started somewhere else and migrated to these fantastic Morgans? And, how did you find the coins (work with dealers, but them raw or only certified, etc)? Thanks in advance.

My current "Box of 20"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file