Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Intelligent thinking and CAC

I realize that intelligent self-thought and CAC don't really belong in the same sentence but I just have to say....

Let's say you have an 1881-S Morgan Dollar graded MS65. If CAC sells you a sucker sticker because they determine your coin is in the top 1/2, or 1/3, or whatever it is they claim they do, (assuming that was even humanly possible which it's not) that would require that CAC be looking at every single 1881-S Morgan dollar that's in a holder at that very moment to determine which are the lower 2/3 and which are the upper 1/3?

Okay....denial, yourrrrrr-up! LOL.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Waiting 8 months to slam CAC won’t slow down the bam hammer

It delayed it 8 months...

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA has looked at enough 1881-S Morgans to know how they come.....probably thousands of them.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

people like JA, have seen enough coins to know what is in the upper range for the grade. I havent seen no where near the number of 81-s he has seen, but I seen enough to know what is sticker worthy and what isnt.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:
    JA has looked at enough 1881-S Morgans to know how they come.....probably thousands of them.

That's why teachers don't grade papers. I can't possibly determine an A grade if I haven't seen every paper ever written.

That depends on whether or not you're grading on a curve and whether the criteria for a grade has remained constant.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

That's why teachers don't grade papers. I can't possibly determine an A grade if I haven't seen every paper ever written.

That depends on whether or not you're grading on a curve and whether the criteria for a grade has remained constant.

Sarcasm wasted.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

But it was a good retort.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if this is the same person yet again? Although the rhetoric is toned down some. Still, move on!

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

But it was a good retort.

It was superfluous if you understood the sarcasm.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    It was superfluous...

But was it original?

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 7:27PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

No, I understood the sarcasm and it didn't make much sense. Teacher do grade papers before having seen them all. They have some concept in mind regarding what merits an A grade versus a B grade when it comes to a paper. Does that concept remain a constant from year to year or even at the start of grading 50 term papers to the end? You would hope so as a student hoping for a fairly graded paper but knowing human beings that's probably not the case. So much for your poor attempt at sarcasm.

PCGS has graded close to 150K 1881-S Morgan dollars in 64 and 65. I imagine NGC has graded as many. I seriously doubt any one person has seen 10% of those coins so whatever judgement is being made about what constitutes the top 25% of 64 coins is making a guesstimate. It may be an educated guesstimate but it's a guesstimate based on viewing a small percentage of those coins.

That said the 1881-S example is an extreme as far as population numbers. There are coins that are far more rare where one person has seen a significant percentage of the coins that have been graded. Beyond that the statement that a particular coin is in the top 25% for the grade should be modified to add the top 25% of the coins I have seen.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

No, I understood the sarcasm and it didn't make much sense. Teacher do grade papers before having seen them all. They have some concept in mind regarding what merits an A grade versus a B grade when it comes to a paper. Does that concept remain a constant from year to year or even at the start of grading 50 term papers to the end? You would hope so as a student hoping for a fairly graded paper but knowing human beings that's probably not the case. So much for your poor attempt at sarcasm.

PCGS has graded close to 150K 1881-S Morgan dollars in 64 and 65. I imagine NGC has graded as many. I seriously doubt any one person has seen 10% of those coins so whatever judgement is being made about what constitutes the top 25% of 64 coins is making a guesstimate. It may be an educated guesstimate but it's a guesstimate based on viewing a small percentage of those coins.

That said the 1881-S example is an extreme as far as population numbers. There are coins that are far more rare where one person has seen a significant percentage of the coins that have been graded. Beyond that the statement that a particular coin is in the top 25% for the grade should be modified to add the top 25% of the coins I have seen.

Teacher=CAC

You clearly did NOT understand the sarcasm.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    It was superfluous...

But was it original?

Lustrous superfluity.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof or boom? >:)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    It was superfluous...

But was it original?

Lustrous superfluity.

Will it sticker?

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 7:46PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

Teacher=CAC

I understood teacher=CAC and I understood your attempt at sarcasm. You don't understand the inconsistencies in what you wrote as they relate to the discussion at hand.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiantsLover said:
    I realize that intelligent self-thought and CAC don't really belong in the same sentence but I just have to say....

Let's say you have an 1881-S Morgan Dollar graded MS65. If CAC sells you a sucker sticker because they determine your coin is in the top 1/2, or 1/3, or whatever it is they claim they do, (assuming that was even humanly possible which it's not) that would require that CAC be looking at every single 1881-S Morgan dollar that's in a holder at that very moment to determine which are the lower 2/3 and which are the upper 1/3?

Okay....denial, yourrrrrr-up! LOL.

So, what you are saying in short is you only collect CAC stickered coins. Got it👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2021 7:59PM

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 8:28PM

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

Sarcasm wasted.

That said the 1881-S example is an extreme as far as population numbers. There are coins that are far more rare where one person has seen a significant percentage of the coins that have been graded. Beyond that the statement that a particular coin is in the

Teacher=CAC

I understood teacher=CAC and I understood your attempt at sarcasm. You don't understand the inconsistencies in what you wrote as they relate to the discussion at hand.

Teacher=CAC
    Papers=coins
    Standards=standards

Sarcasm.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    The Giants suck.

They didn't sticker.

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    The Giants suck.

I'll second that.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has graded close to 150K 1881-S Morgan dollars in 64 and 65. I imagine NGC has graded as many. I seriously doubt > any one person has seen 10% of those coins so whatever judgement is being made about what constitutes the top 25% of > 64 coins is making a guesstimate. It may be an educated guesstimate but it's a guesstimate based on viewing a small
    percentage of those coins.

You don't have to see 10%, when even 1% is a statistically significant sample. Check out a sample size calculator.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 8:49PM

Yawn…irony in thread title

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 8:50PM

@Mgarmy said:
    Yawn

Beat me to it.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

*troll. They are everywhere

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Coinosaurus said:

PCGS has graded close to 150K 1881-S Morgan dollars in 64 and 65. I imagine NGC has graded as many. I seriously doubt > any one person has seen 10% of those coins so whatever judgement is being made about what constitutes the top 25% of > 64 coins is making a guesstimate. It may be an educated guesstimate but it's a guesstimate based on viewing a small
    percentage of those coins.

You don't have to see 10%, when even 1% is a statistically significant sample. Check out a sample size calculator.

Really? Not when you have two grading companies that over the last 30 years have had shifting grading "standards". For 1% or 10% to be statistically significant you would have to start with a real standard that did change every five or ten years.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can this thread be moved to the CAC forum? :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Let's make this thread slightly more educational. This is actually a common problem in industry. How can we estimate the proportion of an attribute in a population based on a sample. I will spare the detailed math, but the number is surprisingly small. If I wanted to estimate that I had 33% plus or minus 5%, with high confidence, I could sample 340 pieces and be confident in my benchmark. Is that less or more than you would think? Keep in mind this is for attribute (success/failure). I might need substantially less for a quantitative measure.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options

@Aercus said:
    Let's make this thread slightly more educational. This is actually a common problem in industry. How can we estimate the proportion of an attribute in a population based on a sample. I will spare the detailed math, but the number is surprisingly small. If I wanted to estimate that I had 33% plus or minus 5%, with high confidence, I could sample 340 pieces and be confident in my benchmark. Is that less or more than you would think? Keep in mind this is for attribute (success/failure). I might need substantially less for a quantitative measure.

Ah, statistics. Underappreciated. You hear it all the time around elections when people want to doubt the polling. I've literally heard people say, "but who are they asking? I don't know anyone who was asked." Smh...

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is 340 large enough to be a representative sample? Even if all the same year

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you try posting here?

https://www.caccoin.com/forums/discussions

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aercus said:

Ah, statistics. Underappreciated. You hear it all the time around elections when people want to doubt the polling. I've literally heard people say, "but who are they asking? I don't know anyone who was asked." Smh...

Irrelevant.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, a 3 post troll comes in here and makes me forget how to tie my own shoes! And these are ones with the Velcro straps, mind you.

"Intelligent self-thought"? More like pissing in a vat of ice tea then wondering why people are complaining about the bitter taste, instead praising the great mouthfeel and edgy fusion flavor.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aercus said:

Irrelevant.

Not really. It's the same fallacy that the OP introduced in the original screed. You don't have to sample 100% of the population to establish the norms for the population.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Is 340 large enough to be a representative sample? Even if all the same year

Depends on how the sampling was done. If completely random, depending on the required tolerance, yes.

https://www.qualtrics.com/experience-management/research/determine-sample-size/

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 8:57AM

What is a "self-thought"? Can you have a thought that doesn't emanate from one's self?

This discussion has been closed.