Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Pcgs grade just posted) Found a 1919 double die dime working on Roosevelt set with my son

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2022 6:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just back from pcgs (found last dec)

My 7 yr old has been bit hard by coin collecting or at least filling coin books. He has done Lincolns, barber halves and now we were just starting work on a set of Roosevelt dimes.
We just dumped out a few bags of better condition Roosevelt dimes I have accumulated over the years. One very worn merc jumped out at me. No idea how it got into the bag. Picked it up saw that was a well worn 1919. like every other 1919 dime (100s) that I have looked at the past few years I quickly looked for the double die. Well finally we have found one. It is possibly the worst in existence and not worth much but will find a good place in my son's budding collection

I grade it fair 2. Probably will put in a pcgs holder just to remember his first "cherrypick"
So I was just thinking about this cherrypick. My dad got me into coin collecting as a 7 yr old many years ago. Our first set was the mercury dime. He passed away of cancer about a 1 and a half ago. Kind of weird finding one stray mercury dime in a group of unc Roosevelt's that I know I have searched before. Especially when my son and I just today started our first mercury dime set and at about the same age

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic find.
    Still worth a pretty good amount in that grade, I would think.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find. Well done.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Cool find too.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find
    And what are the odds. Only merc in the bunch?

Calling @StrikeOutXXX

Martin

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I was just thinking about this cherrypick. My dad got me into coin collecting as a 7 yr old many years ago. Our first set was the mercury dime. He passed away of cancer about a 1 and a half ago. Kind of weird finding one stray mercury dime in a group of unc Roosevelt's that I know I have searched before. Especially when my son and I just today started our first mercury dime set and at about the same age

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said:
    He just asked me how many pokemon cards he could buy with this dime. I have to get his priorities right

My local GameStop sells them for $3.99 a pack. You can tell him it’s worth about 150 packs if it grades FR2 based on the 2 sales of the other FR2.

Congrats on the find and the memories with your son.

I will assign it coin 39 in the census tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible. Reminds me of going through rolls of cents and nickels with my dad in the mid 1970s, the biggest thrill we got was finding a dateless Buffalo in a bank roll.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

One helluva find! And I have to believe that it was found for a reason. Perhaps it takes him on a lifelong journey in numismatics.
    Congratulations!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pic of your son. Great hobby to ;)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was posted in September:

"A 1919 DDO in F02 just sold for $660.00 inc. BP. Heritage Auction."

That's a LOT of Pokemon cards!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it, congratulations! Several years ago I cherry picked a dateless 1916 Buffalo DDO. I picked it up from the other diagnostics. Sold it raw soon afterward for $650 and I wish I hadn't because I'll probably never find another one. I urge you to hang on to it for the same reason.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It is nice to see them being found!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool that should buy him some nice Lincoln’s. 😉

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one he will always remember. :)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing better than a 'Library-of-Coins' album either.......

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attaboy!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, congrats to both of you!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow....great find....I have looked for one of those since it was discovered.... Had my daughter go to coin shops in NC (none around here, but several where she lives) and picked up several 1919 dimes... None were DDO's. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

the real find is the kid who enjoys his dad's hobby. That was me at that age, my kids couldn't care less

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said:
    Took a long time but finally graded

Congrats. Thats probably a 6 or 7 hundred dollar score. Nice find.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find, and congratulations to both of you!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is seriously an awesome thread. Congrats on the DDO. I'd take a FR02 for that dime any day of the week.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to both of you awesome find!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file