Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Phoney baloney coins as learning tools - CLOSED

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2022 3:28PM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

I have a dozen counterfeit plated so called dollar coins that I obtained from a flea market vendor. They're all magnetic. I am in the process of stamping the word "COPY" on each one cause they're not leaving my possession until they're defaced. Pic of the first tagged one is attached as well as the lot. If anyone wants one of these things as an educational aid, let me know, I'll mail you one. The only caveat is you gotta have forum credibility. No monkey business. Happy holidays. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.
    I guess they will counterfeit anything....who would think a 1968 Mexico would be a fake?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

To a small time crook even $10-20 is a score.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting giveaway. Thanks for taking the time to deface them. The seated or trade $ would make a nice start to a counterfeit 7070.

imageimage

@GaCoinGuy I had that fleeting thought but I snapped right out of it.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2021 7:19AM

Thanks, they are good for studying what is out there.

I would appreciate one.

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea Roy... and nice selection. Glad you are marking them. Cheers, RickO

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trade dollar would be interesting to study. First time I’ve seen one of those fake Mexican coins as well.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao so the trade and a peso is yours as an early Xmas present. Just pm me your info. Hohoho! 2 down 10 to go. Roy

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 could you send me the one with the dragon on it?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't particularly want any phony baloney coins, but great offer and giveaway! :smile:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

@gumby1234 one dragon coming right up. Pm me your info.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 Thanks 😊

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

Could I possibly have the Seated Oscar Meyer Dollar?

imageimage

edited December 7, 2021 1:33PM

Here's what's left
    2 fat man
    2 junk boat
    3 dragon
    1 Chinese characters both sides
    1 25 Pesos

Just a bump. I would think a YN would want to have a phoney baloney coin to remind them why it's a good idea to carry a hard drive magnet while examining coins. Free to my forum friends to gift to a YN in your life. Let me know.

@Treashunt said:
    Thanks, they are good for studying what is out there.

I would appreciate one.

Any one for me?

Frank

BHNC #203

Frank, You may choose 2, grasshopper. Need your info. Peace Roy

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am following the same thoughts as using certain coins for the correct reference needed.
    I'm gonna pass on your offer although very smart and generous also adding,, thank you !

Ttt
    Here's what's left
    2 fat man
    1 junk boat
    3 dragon
    1 Chinese characters both sides

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got them in today. They look well....Fake. Could immediately tell they were off by how light they were and the reeding was off. Thanks @Namvet69 for the learning tools.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

I agree they look fake to us but to the uninformed, they have a weird mystique thing. Merry merry. Roy

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 8:27AM

I just found this forum 😳🙀
    We connected on the main forum and I thank you again. This is the second time you have sent my YN cool stuff. We received some wooden nickels from you.

I’ve done 3 giveaways and never did anyone rudely or otherwise point out that this existed. Wonderful group of folks here. James

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Hi Jim, good thing cause your 2 are in the mail. Have a good day. Roy

I got mine, many thanks

Frank

BHNC #203

Good day all, 2 left. 1 Fat man and 1 Junk w /3 birds. See above pics. Let know. Have a good day. Peace Roy

• Hi Roy,

I am a teacher and bring my coins in to my school every once in a while and would love one or both of these as educational tools!

Thank you for your time,
    Jeremy

edited January 7, 2022 9:25AM

@TeacherCollector Jeremy, Absolutely, you shall have both. I deface each coin on one side with a small die punch "COPY". Please provide your name and address. I might get to the post office tomorrow. Have a good day. Roy

@TeacherCollector PM sent 2 u

All gone. Use them to fight evil. Peace Roy

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine arrived yesterday and they are very nice. Thanks so much. The grandson thinks you must be related to Santa. These will be used to teach and join the wooden nickels in his collection. 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Jim, Your grandson is worth the effort. Have a good day. Peace Roy

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.👍

Hoard the keys.