Home U.S. Coin Forum

Karl Moulton, RIP

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that Karl Moulton passed away. He loved numismatics, especially numismatic literature, and operated as a numismatic literature dealer for a number of years. He will be missed.

Comments

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoyed talking with Karl Moulton when I saw him at several ANA shows. Very nice man, very knowledgeable. He wrote that wonderful book on "John J. Ford, Jr. and the 'Franklin Hoard'". You are correct, he will definitely be missed! RIP, Karl.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace Karl. I never met him but I appreciate his work.

edited December 12, 2021 8:29AM

Here's a signed copy of his book on Henry Voight.

It was signed to Dave Stone, who is well known himself.

https://www.icollector.com/Annotated-Draft-of-Moulton-s-Work-on-Henry-Voigt_i25764356

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad to hear. Karl was most gracious in asking me for permission to use a photo that I had posted here on this board for inclusion in his Henry J. Ford book. Having the book with the photo in it now serves as a memory of Karl. He was also the individual who helped me trace the provenance of a coin I have to having been in its designer, , Longacre's, personal collection.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 10:45PM

@1northcoin said:
    So sad to hear. Karl was most gracious in asking me for permission to use a photo that I had posted here on this board for inclusion in his Henry J. Ford book. Having the book with the photo in it now serves as a memory of Karl. He was also the individual who helped me trace the provenance of a coin I have to having been in its designer, , Longacre's, personal collection.

I remember that excellent thread. That he was able to figure out the provenance of that double eagle labeled as a "presentation piece" back to Longacre was impressive to me. Sorry to hear he's passed away.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

I think this is the same Karl Moulton who lived in n Northern Idaho back in the late 1970's. I must have met him earlier at a show in the Portland (OR) area back in 1977. He was dealing coins then and contacted me when he was passing through my hometown of Corvallis Oregon in early 1978 to show me better date Morgans. He was an easy-going nice guy I recall.

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Where does the time go????

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends. RickO

edited December 12, 2021 5:44AM

Here's a 2019 photo on E-Sylum posted by Wayne Homren.

You can see the thickness of the Franklin Hoard book on his table.

https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n33a16.html

Wayne Homren wrote in E-Sylum on August 20, 2019:
    Karl Moulton

I had a great conversation with Karl Moulton at his table, where I enjoyed looking at some of his numismatic literature.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it was a couple years between meetings but always seemed like it was just yesterday.

Always loved talking numismatics with Karl and purchasing a few gems for my library.

A gem of a man who will be missed by all who knew him.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

His Ford book is a must read.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • A great guy who provided many items for our library.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's a 2019 photo on E-Sylum posted by Wayne Homren.

You can see the thickness of the Franklin Hoard book on his table.

https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n33a16.html

Wayne Homren wrote in E-Sylum on August 20, 2019:
    Karl Moulton

I had a great conversation with Karl Moulton at his table, where I enjoyed looking at some of his numismatic literature.

I didn't know him by name but I recognize him from the photo. I recall talking to him a few times at coin shows. He was a very pleasant man. R.I.P.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed.

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. RIP. Karl certainly helped me.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seeing him but never had the pleasure to talk to him. Sorry to hear he has passed my condolences to his family. RIP my friend, may you have everything you ever wanted in you next life peace be with you.

Hoard the keys.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Mr. Moulton, we never met but your contributions to the hobby will be long remembered.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2021 7:42PM

The Ford book remains my favorite numismatic book. I agree with CaptHenway that it is essential reading.
    RIP. Mr. Moulton.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocked me enough to bring me back to the forum. I last spoke with him around the time the Ford book was published. Shocking to lose so many relatively young.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Very sad to hear this news. I bought Karl's book, John J. Ford and the Franklin Hoard when it first came out. Absolutely fascinating reading, exposing the seedy underbelly of numismatics.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

shortly after he published the Henry Voigt book, Steve Crain (MrHalfDime) and I were discussing the book and "The Coin" with him at an ANA Show (or a FUN show, I forget which). We were a few feet from the NGC MS68 1792 Half Disme that Steve and I were obsessed with ;)

Karl then asked Steve if he would like to see/handle the half dime for further study. Steve's eyes lit up and he was like a kid in a candy store as Karl handed him the super gem of a Half Disme! Steve took notes as he studied that coin and it was the highlight of his numismatic year.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear. I can respect what he did, because literature is so very important in the learning process. RIP :'(

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file