Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long for PCGS to grade 8 modern US coins?

Been waiting 2 months.. is this typical?

Best Answers

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment, yes

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 8 are behind the 80,000,
    it'll take a bit.....

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    src8src8 Posts: 7

Thanks

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@src8 said:
    I wonder if it would be smart to display a submissions progress in a the grading queue? I would think it could help form a customer perspective.. also help them from a resource prespective? it just sits in grading for so long and you know it does not take that long to grade a coin..

The submission progress used to be a black box. You knew they were done when you got your coins back. There's nothing for them to gain by giving you an estimated time and then having you see that it doesn't count down, or worse, starts counting up.

Answers

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2021 12:26PM

Never bothers me because I know they are in safe hands.

I was trying to keep a monthly coin submission pace just to expect a treat each month... lol

Seems slightly longer return than my last sub this summer.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@src8 .... Welcome aboard.... It appears you have an indication above.... Seems for the most part, a couple of months is common right now. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 8:35AM

I wish they would refuse to grade bullion coins and being sent large amounts of unopened “monster boxes” of bullion ASE coins intended for investment ONLY and that have zero numismatic value - if they would stop grading those coins for these rip off TV sellers then our coins could be graded faster... DO YOU HEAR THAT PCGS?????

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    I wish they would refuse to grade bullion coins and being sent large amounts of unopened “monster boxes” of bullion ASE coins intended for investment ONLY and that have zero numismatic value - if they would stop grading those coins for these rip off TV sellers then our coins could be graded faster... DO YOU HEAR THAT PCGS?????

I wonder how much they make off those monster boxes compared to the small submissions from collectors? 🤔

i suppose you can always pay for a higher level of service to get them faster if you don't like getting stuck behind the monster submissions

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I wonder if it would be smart to display a submissions progress in a the grading queue? I would think it could help form a customer perspective.. also help them from a resource prespective? it just sits in grading for so long and you know it does not take that long to grade a coin..

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

Yeah, I wish they would only grade my coins... and do it for free, also.

DO YOU HEAR THAT PCGS? WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS GENERATES REVENUE STREAMS that I don't care about?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

you could be kinder in the direction taken for your reply

and actually, grading moderns brings in a huge amount of money and a significant portion of coin grading fees

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long for PCGS to grade 8 modern US coins?

About 16 seconds,,,,,,,, with about 3 months wait before they get to them.

GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file