Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Curious . . . Why do so few people try to trade or sell on these forums?

The buy/sell/trade forum typically has very few people selling cards or packs, etc. other then referencing auctions on Ebay. Especially in light of the new Ebay reporting requirements that will go into effect on January 1, 2022 whereby everyone will get a 1099 for $600 in sales or greater, do you think more people will start selling directly on these boards?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Good question, I have heard in the past of a couple of “scammers” on that board but also have heard of a lot of easy transactions. I would try to sell a few items on that board but who can you trust?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 2:49PM

I have both bought and sold on these boards. It’s just a matter of price, material and seller combining properly.

Most recent one:

Still happy with it…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I have both bought and sold on these boards. It’s just a matter of price, material and seller combining properly.

Most recent one:

Still happy with it…

Nice card, can you find cards at decent prices on that forum?

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Sales and trades were really good years back, recently not so much happening. I don't even really consider it to be much of an option, I still post a few items but usually sell elsewhere.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

Well let's see what happens. I listed a bunch of 1955 Topps PSA 8 cards on the board a short while ago. All are listed for prices below recent ebay sales.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Norcal said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Most recent one:

Still happy with it…

Nice card, can you find cards at decent prices on that forum?

Yes, I think so. Again, some of it depends on what you’re looking for and what you consider a good deal. In the case of the card above, the seller is a long time member in good standing here, has an excellent eye and it was purchased when many seasoned subversive were getting tough grades. This card glows and I had wanted one in 8/9 range; this looked like a 9 in an 8 holder to me.

I’ve had other really nice pickups, too. All within the last 5 years with LT being this past July…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Good to know, I will start to pop on over to that forum to see what’s available. Thanks for the advice!

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 4:36PM

I'd be selling but PSA has many of my cards held hostage...

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

in my selling experience, the traffic on this forum isn't as high as other platforms, especially vs Facebook groups. it also seems like most of the forum here prefers vintage. so trying to sell modern stuff here is tough.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

I was also going to bring up facebook groups as a place that has probably taken away a lot of traffic on this website.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy on here fairly often. Agree Facebook has surpassed this but I am not a Facebook guy and try to avoid going on there. Many people I used to buy from on here have moved to Facebook. Some of them are kind enough to shoot me an IM on here if they think they have something I might I like.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always post items here, Net54, Blowout, and Facebook. I sell the most on Facebook by far. Then it’s blowout, net54 and then CU in that order.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    in my selling experience, the traffic on this forum isn't as high as other platforms, especially vs Facebook groups. it also seems like most of the forum here prefers vintage. so trying to sell modern stuff here is tough.

Modern doesn't sell on the board. Unopened does the best. I'm not on FB or Instagram, so I use MySlabs now to sell the cards I would have posted here.

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Norcal said:
    Good question, I have heard in the past of a couple of “scammers” on that board but also have heard of a lot of easy transactions. I would try to sell a few items on that board but who can you trust?

I had one bad experience on the BST board on a small deal. The majority of sellers are OK. I would suggest that you use the F&F payment thing very carefully. I only use it now for people that I have had several deals with.

Mike
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    I always post items here, Net54, Blowout, and Facebook. I sell the most on Facebook by far. Then it’s blowout, net54 and then CU in that order.

Do Net54 or BO have decent unopened deals?

Thanks,
    John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:

@orioles93 said:

Do Net54 or BO have decent unopened deals?

Thanks,
    John

Not sure about net54, I don’t deal with unopened much at all. You are not allowed to post unopened on BO though, because they sell unopened product on their website.

What I Collect:

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

Hey Orioles,
    What Facebook groups do you suggest for cards? Or just posting them on marketplace?
    Thanks

To answer the OP’s question, used to sell more on these boards. It’s quieter than it was 5+ years ago. Blowout’s vintage page is crickets also.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Traffic is way down versus 10 years ago. Used to be a robust bst section but a lot of users have left for various reasons. Social media definitely gets a lot of action but the “quality “ of hobbyists on Facebook is definitely levels lower

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options

@Ahmanfan said:

@orioles93 said:

Hey Orioles,
    What Facebook groups do you suggest for cards? Or just posting them on marketplace?
    Thanks

To answer the OP’s question, used to sell more on these boards. It’s quieter than it was 5+ years ago. Blowout’s vintage page is crickets also.

The main Facebook pages I use are "99% PSA Graded Baseball Card and Memorabilia", "Buy Sell Trade Baseball Cards", "Vintage Basketball Cards 1989 on Back", and "Baseball cards - Buy, sell, trade and break!!!"

What I Collect:

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

We use to do a lot of breaks through Steve at BBCE on this site. Many of my unopened ungraded packs came from these breaks. Once prices went out the roof and products became scarce it became impossible to run those box breaks anymore. :(

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    The buy/sell/trade forum typically has very few people selling cards or packs, etc. other then referencing auctions on Ebay. Especially in light of the new Ebay reporting requirements that will go into effect on January 1, 2022 whereby everyone will get a 1099 for $600 in sales or greater, do you think more people will start selling directly on these boards?

what does the 1099 change matter? you have always had to claim sales to the irs

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

As it stand right now eBay only reports the sales if the total amount is $20,000 or greater with a minimum of 200 sales.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold a few over the last week. Price decent stuff fair. It will move

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

There is a lot less traffic on here. I started to notice it die down around 2016/2017. I think a lot liked the old layout as well although we were told that that change was inevitable due to system upgrade/capabilities on the PSA side. More were shifting towards BO as the boards here became stricter and many felt that they were being "policed" here and a lot left. I certainly miss the old days when this board would have a lot of people posting and sharing their cards. Unfortunately, there was also a lot of trolls such as the infamous Maurice. He was very knowledgeable but he was not friendly and (as many others here) felt he was another member going under a different sign in name. I like the way the boards are today and I also think Todd is a fair mod. The ones prior, I felt banned a lot of good folks because they bit the bait and got into an argument when they really never had any prior history of showing aggressiveness towards other members. Mix all that now with Facebook groups, myslabs, eBay, IG, BO and NET54 and there are a lot of other places that users can choose to be more involved in. Overall, less people means less people posting.

• Options
    Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I have much better luck on Net54. I also find it annoying on the BST here that you can only have one post. Trying to update sales and new cards on your one allowed post is a royal pain.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

sellers looking for retail+, buyers looking to pay wholesale...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

When you sell on Facebook, specifically how do you do it? Just list stuff in the Facebook Marketplace? Or do you list it in specific groups?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@orioles93 said:

When you sell on Facebook, specifically how do you do it? Just list stuff in the Facebook Marketplace? Or do you list it in specific groups?

Specific groups. There are solid groups of collectors for most areas within the hobby.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too… Many….Other…..Options

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I don't sell much of anything but my general observation would be that with no formal selling platform, people are only willing to take so much risk. At least with facebook vs a forum like this, there is some additional information as each member is linked to an individual profile. Here I am Mrmopar and I don't recall what else I may have provided to register. On facebook, I have provided my full name, there are photos, etc. I do keep my profile private though, so only friends can see most of it. However, there is nothing that keeps one from faking the entire profile either.

I have joined a few facebook groups and it seems like selling is very popular on those and aside from a few posts where someone wants way too much, there seems to be a never ending stream of buyers willing to pay for all of it. I also see a lot of "wheels", which are just lotteries. I suspect there may be legal issues with actually running those, but for now it seems to work. Most of them I have seen are collecting much more than the item is worth by itself and one person will win big (the seller), one contestant will win the prize cheaply while everyone else loses.

With more risk comes more reward. I guess if you want to maximize your return, you'll need to take those risks. Selling to an unknown person who can claim the item never arrived, claim it was not what they bought, dispute a charge, etc. On the flip side, buyers face similar risks too. Sellers who do not ship items, send wrong items/fakes and other scams.

Frankly, I was never in it for the investment and I don't want the hassles of dealing with difficult people or scammers. I'm not sure what I will do when the time comes to sell, but I don't like any of the options readily available now, other than to create your own website and/or retail store, both of which adds much more cost/overhead and takes time to bring in the necessary traffic.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2021 11:38AM

I gave it a shot and listed a bunch of 1955 Topps PSA 8 cards at prices well under recent ebay sales. No bites. Guess I am one and done with the BST forum.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2021 12:45PM

I would be much less comfortable selling over Facebook than BST. I feel there are way more shady characters on Facebook. I don’t sell frequently, but I have probably sold around 25-50 items on BST in the last 12 years and every time it has gone off without a hitch. I have bought fewer items, but that has always gone fine too.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2021 6:08AM

Facebook Groups are where the action is these days. Not marketplace. Groups. 💯
    Some are well staffed with moderators and run seamlessly. Selling here today is like starting fire with stones.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried a few times. Apparently no one wants my crap! ;)

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    Facebook Groups are where the action is these days. Not marketplace. Groups. 💯
    Some are well staffed with moderators and run seamlessly. Selling here today is like starting fire with stones.

How do sellers usually accept payment, through paypal? I wonder if anyone takes money orders like the old days?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21