Home Precious Metals

Our own National Turkey Pricing Guide to help measure Inflation, supply chain issues & just for fun

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2021 2:31PM in Precious Metals

I am suggesting that as we purchase our birds for Thanksgiving, or related supplies as it may pertain to your family's celebration - [AKA pies, stuffing mix, cranberry sauce, what have you] - that we snap a quick photo or describe the product, it's pricing, quantity purchased (for price comparison purpose) and if you don't object something that indicates the very general geographic location where the purchase was made (Nothing specific, something on the order of northeast, mid-west, southwest, etcetera works just fine)

I think this could be prove to be fun. I recall that the bobble heads on TV often will report on the average cost of a Turkey Day dinner. We could use our data as a measure to see how well the reported costs match up to what we see in our own unscientific research. Any other interesting observations can also be conveyed.

I'll start:

Purchased a 23.4 pound frozen turkey from a turkey farm here in the northeast.
Price per pound $4.29

Observations (2) 1st was that the owner at this location described a supply chain issue with their regular supplier of breading that this farm uses to create stuffing that gets sold separately to their customers. Their supplier was not able to supply them with product, as they customarily had in years past. This lack of supply came at a critical time in the process of making stuffing for the upcoming holiday. The process of making their stuffing involves prepping the breading, adding seasoning, toasting the breading mixture and packaging the product, and that's at a minimum. Now in the quantity this farm produces for holiday sales it naturally requires additional seasonal labor. This brings up the 2nd observation, which was also conveyed by the owner, which was that despite advertising their need for help and the fact that they had open job vacancies readily available to be filled, they have, thus far, been unsuccessful in obtaining any of the help they've needed. It was implied that this shortage of labor was something unexpected or, at the very least, was something that they hadn't experienced in the same way ever before.

Conclusions: (3) 1st is that it would seem that there are still enough people who are (A) either earning enough that they don't need additional part time or seasonal work to supplement their income, (B) are getting enough unearned benefits that they currently don't feel the need to seek out work, or (C) have altogether left the job market (either don't care to work anymore, or perhaps they moved out of that area/city/state).

2nd Conclusion is that labor constraints, supply chain issues and perhaps inflationary price increases are affecting small family businesses disproportionately harder than large box stores / national brand products. (I realized that isn't surprising - but it's not just that, it's also that it isn't as easy for these small businesses to pass on that hurt in the same, or in another but equally as effective, way as the big guys are doing. For a farm like this it's a double gut punch).

3rd conclusion is that, if past performance can be used as a metric to gauge future expectations, then, despite a higher initial cost over chain store birds, this turkey is going to be well worth the $100 price tag I paid because I'm telling you, last years bird was absolutely freaking phenomenal!

One final note, up until two years ago we always did a fresh bird. Then covid hit and I knew I didn't want to deal with those lines and the insanity that surrounds them. So we bought a frozen one, just like we did this year. The only difference I could detect last year was that having avoided standing in those lines 2-3 days before T-day to get my bird was joyous, and the bird itself tasted absolutely the same and perhaps, maybe it was just my imagination, but I think even a little bit better usual.

JC

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really paid $100 for a turkey then youre crazy.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

I take that as a funny, though likely true, comment but just in case there are some here who, for whatever reason, would think that I'm being anything other than completely honest I present to you all the receipt. Other purchases include Turkey pies and related material for later use.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

You paid $2/lb more for a non-factory bird that was raised without hormones - and with sunlight. The breast meat won't be full of sinew and ligaments. Money well spent...

@JohnnyCache said:

@cohodk said:

I take that as a funny, though likely true, comment but just in case there are some here who, for whatever reason, would think that I'm being anything other than completely honest I present to you all the receipt.

I never doubted you.

But if turkey is $100 then ill be eating lobster or prime rib.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend 10k in merchandise with a company and they used to send me a free coupon for a butterball Turkey...any size.
    This year it's a coupon for $22 off a butterball Turkey.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2021 4:08PM

Free. These two came strutting down the hill. Looks like an escaped farm tom with a wild hen. Hen was acting almost tame, very strange, the fools were trying to mad dog my chickens. Nobody jacks with my girls. Suspect it will be a filling late November at the dinner table. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

On the frozen turkey front, i am getting one for 400 rewards points - which could also be used for 0.40 reduction per gallon gasoline price up to 25 gals = $10.00 off gas. So my 'cost' is $10 - last year got a 23 pounder. Probably not as tasty as the bird @JohnnyCache has though :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

edited November 1, 2021 6:46PM

@JimW said:
    On the frozen turkey front, i am getting one for 400 rewards points - which could also be used for 0.40 reduction per gallon gasoline price up to 25 gals = $10.00 off gas. So my 'cost' is $10 - last year got a 23 pounder. Probably not as tasty as the bird @JohnnyCache has though :)

Are you able to select any brand bird / size with the reward points?
    Also, when the time comes let us know the brand (national, regional) size you get
    Are points earned at 1 point per $ spent or at some other rate?
    I think that's a good deal

*Edited for clarity

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just purchased our Butterball Turkey.. 13.3 lbs., $1.99/lb.... Not as cheap as some previous years, but available and reasonable. Hudson Valley, NYS...Cheers, RickO

• RobMRobM Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Sorry, folks. No need for turkey prices in any inflation calculations. Earlier today, the Bureau of Labird Statistics officially replaced the turkey in CPI calculations due to the increased prices and the fact that many families will not be able to afford them. Thankfully, for now, they found a more affordable substitute.

@RobM said:

Sorry, folks. No need for turkey prices in any inflation calculations. Earlier today, the Bureau of Labird Statistics officially replaced the turkey in CPI calculations due to the increased prices and the fact that many families will not be able to afford them. Thankfully, for now, they found a more affordable substitute.

It must have been a tough choice between choosing to eat Crow or getting a Black Swan

edited November 2, 2021 7:48PM

Stopped by the local, more upscale market, (the one derryb shops at), and butterball turkeys were $1.79/lb while store brand were $1.49.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonnycache
    Bob's T Farm is great, I've got a few Chicken pot pies in the freezer. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Butterball at the J6P grocery store are 99c/lb, store brand are 49c/lb.

@cohodk said:

Looks like your groupie has a case of the LOL's. Happy Holidays!

edited November 9, 2021 5:18PM

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Indeed. Every post I make. Like a puppy that follows my every step. Its cute. Childish and immature, but cute nonetheless.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Indeed. Every post I make. Like a puppy that follows my every step. Its cute. Childish and immature, but cute nonetheless.

IKR!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paid 49c lb at Jewel. Labels mean 💩 what’s important is you cook it right.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

JC
    $4 lb is a little steep.
    Personally, I don't eat 49cent lb meat but to each his own. I usually cook cowboy breakfast the day after Thanksgiving for the crew however no bacon this year. $10-12 per pound is just not right.

Have a nice day
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I bought a fresh Butterball don’t remember the price probably couple bucks a pound and a Jenny-O cost me about 8 bucks for a 20+ pound Turkey. My wife insisted on fresh, the frozen was my call ate a couple months later. Both cooked the same both just as delicious as the other, DON’T OVERCOOK. My wife cooks them until they’re dry, I cooked both last year. Buying more expensive than the Thanksgiving turkey blowout to get you in the store is marketing brainwashing. This year two 49c and I’m cooking both. Even my wife agreed I do it better and she’s not complaining she’s not getting her expensive turkey this year.

@JohnnyCache
    If you are from the area I'm sure you know what happened there 5 years ago.
    https://youtu.be/BmtMtwFwGUo

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

edited November 11, 2021 8:27PM

@1630Boston said:
    @JohnnyCache
    If you are from the area I'm sure you know what happened there 5 years ago.

I do, I've been going here for close to 30 years.
    I go most often for the Turkey Pies.
    They have all kinds of configurations and sizes but I like the large round mixed meat (light & dark) w/ vegetables (peas & carrots) the best. Usually we'll cook two pies for family dinner.
    They hit the spot when its a little cold out and you haven't already got something planned for dinner as they go from frozen to ready to eat in an hour.
    A high quality product that tastes great and pleases everybody in the house, which isn't easy to do.

@JohnnyCache said:

I go most often for the Turkey Pies.

I get the white meat, no vegetables, they are great. :)

edited November 22, 2021 6:02AM

Butterballs are now 99c at the more "upscale" grocer.

Lots of baking ingredients such as sugar and flour are BOGO.

@cohodk said:
    Butterballs are now 99c at the more "upscale" grocer.

Lots of baking ingredients such as sugar and flour are BOGO.

I guess, just like in politics, all prices are local.

Here are three examples in my general area from three different major chains, which run the gamut from average to upscale.

The prices run from $1.69, $1.49, $1.59, so we are talking about a $1.59 average for a butterball.

I saw fresh (not frozen) Butterballs at Aldi at $1.39 this past weekend. I also saw frozen somewhere for $0.89, maybe Dinof's or Sparkle? None of the other fixings seemed to stand out other than having to drop $9.99 on a mid grade pecan pie. Seems much ado about nothing, at least up here in The Commonwealth.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

.89-.99 around here depending on locale, not counting the upscale markets

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of markets discount things, including turkeys, to get people in the door. Just because it's .99c lb ...means nothing.
    It's loss leader marketing.

Have a nice day

@streeter said:
    A lot of markets discount things, including turkeys, to get people in the door. Just because it's .99c lb ...means nothing.

Perhaps, but 99c is better than $4.29 and goes into the total cost of the meal.

The person who buys the 99c turkey is under no obligation to purchase additional items from the store.

@cohodk said:

@streeter said:

The person who buys the 99c turkey is under no obligation to purchase additional items from the store.

Some people use their noggin and others are just content being sheep. Enjoy the holiday. Reflect on the positives and not the negatives but no doubt whatsoever you already know that. PEACE!!!!

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@streeter said:

I got mine for 39c per pound but I did have to buy $25.00 worth of other things.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dinner rolls , Milk , and Pie ?
    START HERE Should tell the equation.
    A smart homemaker watches what's leftover.
    E.N.G.E. ?

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got an 18.44 lb Honeysuckle White Frozen Young Turkey at Kroger for .49 cents a pound. Total cost was $9.04. I saved $20.28. :)

edited November 25, 2021 9:42AM

You guys sort of got fixated on the price of the turkey alone, which, although it was a key part of the initial post, it wasn't the only part.

I managed to be able to buy all of the various products I needed / wanted, in the brands we typically use, without any real difficulty. So I can't honestly complain about any supply chain disruption on a personal level.

I noticed other items, particularly fruit pies, to have increased quite a bit around my area, with some of the better know pie bakeries getting close to thirty dollars a pie. I didn't end up buying any this year but that was due more to health issues than price.

Happy Thanksgiving to All

So, JohnnyCache, how was the turkey?

Now these are 100% organic....and were mocking me the day after Thanksgiving. HAHA. 34 of them in total.