Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If Hansen Sells?

gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simpson sold at Heritage. Pogue sold at Sacks. Legend has had recent good results with registry sets. If Hansen decides to sell where would his collection do best?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 9:42AM

@gschwernk said:
    Simpson sold at Heritage. Pogue sold at Sacks. Legend has had recent good results with registry sets. If Hansen decides to sell where would his collection do best?

DLRC :)

They have NuTilt!

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think there are serious collectors that skip buying at one auction over another? Put the top pops in ANY auction and watch what happens.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

When he finishes compiling the greatest coin collection of all time,
    I hope that he does at least put it on loan to the Smithsonian.
    I would love to see it.
    Would also hope that this collection is never broken up, BUT
    If he decides to sell off parts, make it those that he is ahead of me in the registry sets. LOL
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he sells? He has already been churning a lot of coins through his collection, selling them as Hansen coins, complete with special labels. If, at some time in the future, his collection is declared "complete" and he sells The Collection, he may have already hurt the value of some of the coins comprising the final set by diluting the provenance with coins that just passed through.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 10:07AM

@messydesk said:
    If he sells? He has already been churning a lot of coins through his collection, selling them as Hansen coins, complete with special labels. If, at some time in the future, his collection is declared "complete" and he sells The Collection, he may have already hurt the value of some of the coins comprising the final set by diluting the provenance with coins that just passed through.

I'm sure there will be special labels for the final set.

Any true numismatic status seeker will immediately dump the inferior provenance labels for "The Collection" labels. Support your local TPG, buy the label, not the coin >:)

Too much cynicism, too little time on this fine Monday.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigrees are just about universally meaningless to me, but I do own three:
    – One from the collection of a close friend who is now-deceased (California).
    – One that already had it when I bought it (Pittman).
    – One from the collection of VAM co-inventor Leroy Van Allen. Only 8 others exist that I am aware of).

I did not pay a premium for the first one, but having his pedigree on it made it easy to say "I'll take it."

I did not pay a premium for the second one, but I do appreciate that it's there.

I did pay a premium for the third one because that is how much I admire and respect the man and his immeasurable contribution to my favorite area of coin collecting.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigrees for coins do not really appeal to me for the most part. However I don’t think there is any doubt he would sell through DLRC as part owner.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly he has been selling his cast offs at DLRC, it only makes sense that he would use that venue. Personally I put no value on ownership labels.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

I suspect they’ll just modify the provenance to Hansen Core Collection or something like that. On another note, Eliasberg, Pogue, and Norweb had some duplicates too.

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Who tf cares. I collected what I collect before Hansen showed up & I'm young enough to collect after he's gone.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@messydesk said:

I suspect they’ll just modify the provenance to Hansen Core Collection or something like that. On another note, Eliasberg, Pogue, and Norweb had some duplicates too.

True, but they weren't being heavily promoted and sold in advance of the sale of the named sales as coins coming from the collection of someone who would one day assemble a famous collection.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:
    Who tf cares. I collected what I collect before Hansen showed up & I'm young enough to collect after he's gone.

Even if you don’t care, many collectors would be thrilled to have the opportunity to buy coins from his collection.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they could change the provenance labels to "Hansen rejects" and "Hansen keepers".

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 6:57PM

@Barberian said:
    Maybe they could change the provenance labels to "Hansen rejects" and "Hansen keepers".

I bought one of his throwaways and had it re-holdered without him on it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

If Hansen would have had the pedigree removed from the older coin when he updated his sets he would not dilute his pedigree. All his coins have a pedigree before they are added to his Registry Sets.

• Options
    gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this thread went a little off track. The main question I was asking is:

When a major collection such as Simpson, Pogue or Hansen's is sold does it matter which auction house (Heritage, Sacks, Legend) he uses? Could he do just as well in an online sale like Great Collections or DLRC.

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I think it absolutely matters on the timeframe. If he'd want to have a single leatherbound auction catalog and put everything in a zero reserve auction, those auction catalogs would be up there with one of the most expensive book printings ever.
    If the sales stretched out over a decade like J.J. Ford, where you had 'The Ford Collection part 134' (hyperbolie), it would do much better.
    That observation isn't just commenting on the coin market specifically. If Elon Musk decided he wanted out of the car business by the end of the week, the stock price of TSLA would be thumped - even with the massive liquidity of the global stock market.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file