Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check 2021-D Morgans for Strike-Thrus

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen two different 2021-D Morgans posted on Facebook tonight that appear to be struck through a sheared rim fragment, one of which had the fragment retained. If you got any of these, check them out before selling unopened.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic or it didn’t happen.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see those as well... My 2021 CC privy was flawless. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 4:31PM

=

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! The second one especially.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

2021 - Quality control at it's finest.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love shrapnel at the mint! Nice finds. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are similar yet different. I can just imagine this little piece of metal that keeps shifting with every strike! Lol

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the population of strike throughs like this needs to be to maximize their value. If there were only 1, then there wouldn't be a lot of interest in it. If there were many, then the market for them would be saturated.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clean strikes might be the rarity.

thefinn
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am at 8 different problems that have been shown on the forum. Keeping track because thats a lot of funky varieties 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here ya go. Loose rim fragments, reeded.

If there are many than something was out of adjustment.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of machine shop operators walk around daily with pieces similar to these stuck to their clothing and caps. Could be the same today at the mint. Then they fall off. Maybe there is one operator named "pig pen"? Jus' sayin'.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Would the recommedation be put each of your Morgans under a magnifier and then determine which ones to send into get graded/returned...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 8:10AM

One of my three has two blue threads on them but I am pretty sure they are not struck in. Soon I will crack the capsule and find out.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    One of my three has two blue threads on them but I am pretty sure they are not struck in. Sion I will crack the capsule and find out.

There’s some posted that are part of the strike.
    I am at 18 different problems all issues reverse and obverse. Some rim issues to add to everything else 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I've seen two different 2021-D Morgans posted on Facebook tonight that appear to be struck through a sheared rim fragment, one of which had the fragment retained. If you got any of these, check them out before selling unopened.

i THINK i saw EOC post a couple recently?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hombrevg said:
    Would the recommedation be put each of your Morgans under a magnifier and then determine which ones to send into get graded/returned...

This is normally done before any coin is submitted for grading. With moderns in mint capsules it is done WITHOUT removing the coin from the capsule. Let the grading company remove it after you submit it. Less handling of actual coin reduces chances of damage.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just look closely it my D mint Morgan and to the top left of the you and United I found this. I'm not sure if this is struck through or what? If anybody has got a definite answer I would appreciate your wisdom knowledge.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file