Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Bidding and not paying?

Hi,
Anyone here have any thoughts and or ideas on why people will bid and not pay?
Thank you to all. :)

Comments

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

Found it cheaper, changed mind, or realized they are broke....

• PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    Found it cheaper, changed mind, or realized they are broke....

Or the Wifey intervened. ;P

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Placed a bid and didn’t think they would win.

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

Been nore often lately.

Matt

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

Someday I will learn to read before I post. Been happening more often lately.

Matt

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

It happens to me far more often that they will put in a best offer that I accept and then they don’t pay. I’ve got one hanging right now.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I’ve got one hanging right now."
    Hey ringer,
    Yeah I'm with ya!
    :)

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    My blocked bidder list is constantly adding new members. More so lately than ever before.

Agreed. This didn't seem to happen all that relatively often before, but over the past couple months I've had several "winners" request their order to be canceled before I even sent an invoice, let alone waiting for a few days of non-payment first.

Plus, now I've got a crazy ebay stalker who won an item and requested I cancel his order because someone else placed a simultaneous underbid with his, both within a couple seconds of auction ending, and it ended higher than he wanted. I thought that's why you don't place a bid for higher than what you're willing to pay... So now, this guy keeps messaging me over and over and over and over aggressively demanding that I relist an item for him at a lower price or else he'll shut my account down. The content of his messages gets more and more psychotic by the hour, but ebay hasn't closed him yet.

@miwlvrn said:

@pab1969 said:
    My blocked bidder list is constantly adding new members. More so lately than ever before.

Agreed. This didn't seem to happen all that relatively often before, but over the past couple months I've had several "winners" request their order to be canceled before I even sent an invoice, let alone waiting for a few days of non-payment first.

Plus, now I've got a crazy ebay stalker who won an item and requested I cancel his order because someone else placed a simultaneous underbid with his, both within a couple seconds of auction ending, and it ended higher than he wanted. I thought that's why you don't place a bid for higher than what you're willing to pay... So now, this guy keeps messaging me over and over and over and over aggressively demanding that I relist an item for him at a lower price or else he'll shut my account down. The content of his messages gets more and more psychotic by the hour, but ebay hasn't closed him yet.

I’d call eBay and explain all the information that you can gather about your crazy stalker - that just isn't right.

Agreed. It's getting much beyond a bit weird from him, actually. I know he can't actually get anywhere with his insane ranting, but I'm tired of having it show up and haven't figured out a way to have it stop coming into my inbox in the first place yet. I've probably received 12 or so messages over the past couple days with each one maxing out the character limit. I've never had a transaction with him before either, and even though he was the high bidder on one item, he canceled it so we have no business history to speak of.

But, instead of calling, I really prefer everything to be in either ebay messaging or in ebay chat so I have a written record of the conversations in case I need it later. I've been debating relaying some of the documentation here as a way to vent, but it is quite a lot of dialogue, probably more than most would care to read.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Agreed. It's getting much beyond a bit weird from him, actually. I know he can't actually get anywhere with his insane ranting, but I'm tired of having it show up and haven't figured out a way to have it stop coming into my inbox in the first place yet. I've probably received 12 or so messages over the past couple days with each one maxing out the character limit. I've never had a transaction with him before either, and even though he was the high bidder on one item, he canceled it so we have no business history to speak of.

But, instead of calling, I really prefer everything to be in either ebay messaging or in ebay chat so I have a written record of the conversations in case I need it later. I've been debating relaying some of the documentation here as a way to vent, but it is quite a lot of dialogue, probably more than most would care to read.

I'm not %100 but isn't there a setting where you can block messages from a member. I believe I saw this feature when I was selecting another seller's option of allowing low feedback buyers the ability to only bid on one of my items at any time. Good luck.

Yes, there is actually an opt-in setting so that you don't receive messages from blocked bidders. For some reason, even though I had it turned on, his messages were still getting through. I worked with ebay help to get that fixed last night though.

Interestingly enough, while I was searching for that setting, I found a screen that I did not realize was available, which showed how many bids have been attempted to be placed by users that were subsequently prevented due to not meeting the buyer requirements. More specifically, it showed how many bids were from people who had too many unpaid item strikes on their record relative to my settings. I had no idea that info was there. It was an interesting list because most of them were high feedback accounts. Makes me wonder if instead of being a fixed number of strikes, it should have an option of X total number vs. X % of unpaid won items, whichever number is more relevant based on the history of the specific bidder. I second-guessed having missed out on some bids for a moment, and then thought that that probably was not worth whatever headaches would have come along with lifting the restriction.

@miwlvrn said:

Followup: Happy to see that as of a couple days ago, apparently something worked with the reporting I did because I see that my ebay stalker is no longer a registered user. His alt acct is still active though, but at least I cut the problem in half.

Yep,
    I've got another 5 listings that ended... and No Payment : (
    Somehow, Someway; This has to be Stopped!

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a handful of non payers this year. More frequent than previous years and I'm not sure why. I'll allow it once for a bidder as everyone gets busy and can forget to pay before the deadline. I've done it once or twice myself by accident. But if I get a repeat offender, they'll get blocked.

I’ve got another one hanging right now.

I don't get it...If you want it, bid and pay.

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

Since I've never failed to pay for an item, I don't know what reminders Ebay sends. I wonder, do non-payers get an e-mail reminder (or other sort of notification) every day?

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoxPatsFan said:
    Since I've never failed to pay for an item, I don't know what reminders Ebay sends. I wonder, do non-payers get an e-mail reminder (or other sort of notification) every day?

It depends on what preferences you set. Mine send out a reminder through eBay after about a week. Then if they don't pay within a certain period (3 additional days, if I recall), then it cancels the item, files a non-paying bidder strike and refunds my fees.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure 90% of the higher Pokemon card auctions are never paid for. Hyping/falsely increasing the bid price is happening a lot.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Most excuses are. " my grandson 5 years old buy this, and I did not notice"
    Others says. " I never knew I won this auction" or I have problems with my card .
    Other potential non paying bidders, are those who require more info or photos, after they won the auction.
    Others only want your item out of the way for few days, to sell his own similar items
    the only sanction they get is an ebay Non payment warning, that nobody can see.

I have had some luck with non-payers. After going through the process (waiting 4 days for payment, cancelling the transaction, blocking the bidder and then relisting the item for free) oftentimes the newly relisted item would sell for much higher than the original sale. I've always wanted to send a thank you message to the non-payer for not paying promptly because his inaction made me more money.

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of great points above. I honestly believe we are raising a generation of kids/young adults that could care less about adhering to a contract. It's pretty disheartening. I just had about 25 cards on auctions that finished last weekend. Had 3 not pay so I cancelled and relisted after 5 days. And they ALL had good feedback too. More than 10%, and not one of them even bothered to contact me. Oh well, like mentioned above I relisted them and they actually sold for a few bucks more, each of them, but I think it looks suspicious when a seller is relisting a bunch of cards. We all know there are seller scammers too, so I hate when buyers do that to me.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Far too many non-payers out there these days. I like to primarily stick to BIN with immediate payment required but even then it can get ya.

Had a card listed at $350 a week or so ago. Guy messages me asking if I would take $300. Sure, I'll move it out... I'm not attached to it. I send the offer, he accepts the same day. Messages sent, extra invoices... no response. After 6 days the order cancelled with no payment. Thankfully I put it back up at the original $350 and it sold in a day.

There had been talk in the past that you might get in trouble posting "negative/positive" feedback for a buyer but I'm seeing more and more of it and don't have a problem doing it myself. Haven't had any issues to this point. It's great to see if someone sends you an offer.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2022 1:14PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Far too many non-payers out there these days. I like to primarily stick to BIN with immediate payment required but even then it can get ya.

Had a card listed at $350 a week or so ago. Guy messages me asking if I would take $300. Sure, I'll move it out... I'm not attached to it. I send the offer, he accepts the same day. Messages sent, extra invoices... no response. After 6 days the order cancelled with no payment. Thankfully I put it back up at the original $350 and it sold in a day.

There had been talk in the past that you might get in trouble posting "negative/positive" feedback for a buyer but I'm seeing more and more of it and don't have a problem doing it myself. Haven't had any issues to this point. It's great to see if someone sends you an offer.

@PROMETHIUS88 Sorry to hear about your eBay issue. Quick question: If you typically use BIN, and that forces the payment, why didn’t you just lower your BIN to $300… I’ve told prospective buyers that I can’t guarantee that they’ll be the first to buy it… but I do it when they said they are available, and I tell them to be quick. I leave it there for 24 or 48 hours (thinking if someone else beats them to it it’s fine with me)…but at least it doesn’t change my payment structure. When they don’t buy it, I then raise it back to $350 with no harm no foul. But I don’t remove it from the BIN because of non-payment issues. Would that work for you in the instance you were describing?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:

@PROMETHIUS88 Sorry to hear about your eBay issue. Quick question: If you typically use BIN, and that forces the payment, why didn’t you just lower your BIN to $300… I’ve told prospective buyers that I can’t guarantee that they’ll be the first to buy it… but I do it when they said they are available, and I tell them to be quick. I leave it there for 24 or 48 hours (thinking if someone else beats them to it it’s fine with me)…but at least it doesn’t change my payment structure. When they don’t buy it, I then raise it back to $350 with no harm no foul. But I don’t remove it from the BIN because of non-payment issues. Would that work for you in the instance you were describing?

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing after this last one and that is probably what I'm going to do in the future. If they really want the card, they will jump on it.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 YES!!! That has been my experience…and when they don’t or they start the “oh I don’t know if I can get it today” dance, it doesn’t bother me. Those times have been extremely rare, where as you said, the buyer jumps on it!!!

Good luck with it in the future!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.

I have another non-paying buyer here…the buyer has been a Bay’r since ’19 and a positive feedback of 120.

I’m so use to these non-paying buyers; what bothers me the most is: without outgoing cards there are no incoming cards for me to post on the monthly “Pickups Thread”.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Knock on wood.. every buyer this year has paid. Just request payment first lol it works.

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@76collector said:
    A lot of great points above. I honestly believe we are raising a generation of kids/young adults that could care less about adhering to a contract. It's pretty disheartening.

I recently had a 75-year-old man justify his refusal to adhere to a contract because "nothing is ever really final in a pandemic."

Evening,

I can Name One Thing that for Sure is Final!!! It's the ol' Dirt Nap!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

You can still leave positive feedback for the non payer.... just do not make it 'positive'. I always check feedback when I am about to accept an offer... you can see the non payer comments in the positive feedback.... some are brutal.

@Crashingwaves said:
    You can still leave positive feedback for the non payer.... just do not make it 'positive'. I always check feedback when I am about to accept an offer... you can see the non payer comments in the positive feedback.... some are brutal.

I couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how many times I added buyers to my blocked list after reading their feedback, especially what they left for other sellers, when they make me an offer.

• CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

If you leave a negative comment in positive feedback eBay will delete it. Not automatically, but removal can be requested and ebay will delete.

• CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    If you leave a negative comment in positive feedback eBay will delete it. Not automatically, but removal can be requested and ebay will delete.

Even if the feedback is temporary... still best to warn others. Plus, not all buyers pay attention to their feedback or realize the seller can provide feedback,

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm OK with non-payers, nothing you can do about it. At least you still have your cards, if they don't pay, they are probably scammers as well. I would rather not get into a transaction with people like that.

Mike
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay sucks. It's too bad that it's often the best option to sell cards.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Same here on a close to a $2k modern card. BIN and buyer sends an offer snd i counter in between. Next day he accepts and I send invoice. Last 3 days is crickets so I just sent a note asking if they still want the card and asked for a response either way. Giving them until Sunday and then I cancel the card. Unreal.

KC

@KendallCat said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Same here on a close to a $2k modern card. BIN and buyer sends an offer snd i counter in between. Next day he accepts and I send invoice. Last 3 days is crickets so I just sent a note asking if they still want the card and asked for a response either way. Giving them until Sunday and then I cancel the card. Unreal.

KC

Unreal, but happens all the time nonetheless.

• Had a similar issue myself. Had a card up for sale via BIN w/ BO and received an offer, which I accepted the offer. The next day he messages me stating he only had x amount in his bank account, but still wants the card if I could sell it for what he had.....NOPE. He then starts calling me greedy for not adhering to his request. smh

The lack of the bidder’s follow up’s hinders my progress for say like a monthly “Pick - Up “or even for a group “Box Break”.
    It is amazing on how much you care or cherish, and the discouragement with a Non-Paying Buyer is just Awful…

No happy smiley today... :(

• McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I get the same thing on offerup. Someone says they want to buy it for a certain price. I say ok. Then I either never hear from them again or they say they messaged the wrong person.

It's a very small percentage of the time, but I think maybe some people send in offers to get them accepted despite not intending to pay, in order to use the data point as a sales comp for in turn moving their own similar item at a better price than what they maybe thought they'd otherwise get.

I’ve got another one who likes to bid but does not like to pay…. I’m kind of used to it…though it can be a little discouraging at times…and that’s why my monthly pick-up’s lack progression…