Home Metal Detecting

My Oddity Finds Recently

Couple finds throughout the week, nothing to do back flips about, but some cool things to me.

old fork

bones from something

piece of coal or something, was making the pinpointer go off.

some older matchbox cars, "Mountain Man 1981 - Dodge Wrecker 1965"

side view of cars

piece of solder maybe? not sure on this one or ways to test it.

Piece of copper i think.. same with the possible solder...not sure, alien metal maybe lol.

that about does it, this is all from around the property i live on. more to come when i find them.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting assortment.... Coal will not set off a pinpointer or MD.... The melted pieces will need further information to determine what they are. Seems your property once was a place working in metals for some purpose. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on my experiences
    The 3 tang fork is early turn of the century, very utilitarian, the 4th tang was not needed.
    Slag from coal burning furnaces contain ferrous metals and do have a signature
    Lumps of molten metal from welding, forge work show up on farms where metals were cut, joined, altered, repaired, braised, etc.
    Keep searching, there's a large cent down there! Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• thanks ricko and namvet. not sure what the coal thing is, its really light. and makes the pointer go off, so must be something in there, i rent this house on 50 some odd acres, the house im in is the foundation of a centennial farm i believe it was built in 1840, owned by the same family. so im hoping there has to be somethinggg in the ground, just going to take some time!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JTMcC.... Good luck... that site has excellent potential. Check around large old trees, rock walls or significant boulders. If you can tell where the kitchen window was on the original house, look at the property from that vantage point for any special points. Those would be where valuables may have been buried/concealed. Cheers, RickO

• thanks ricko!! i think the oldest i've found so far is a 1936 wheat penny. so i know there atleast some oldies around here!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JTMcC And...he out there after a rain, moisture does enhance and change metal object signature. Don't swing the coil too fast, the shorter crisper high signals are worth digging up. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat finds. I really need to try this hobby, looks like a lotta fun and a lotta work too. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members