Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Old Man of the Mountain gone?

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess we didn’t get the news down in Tennessee back in 2003. In New Hampshire today when I was told it broke off from the mountain and no longer exists. They have installed several profile devices to show how the old man used to look. Post an example if you have one .

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess the "Old Lady of the Mountain" pushed his good demeanor over the edge! :D
    Yeah - May 3rd, 2003..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2021 7:35PM

It's the curse of the state quarters.

I believe that the Charter Oak shown on the CT quarter was felled after appearing on the coin.

And I think there might have been one more casualty but I don't recall which one.

Edit: I hate to be the starter of rumors. Turns out that Connecticut's Charter Oak fell in the 19th century. But the article linked below does outline some other bad things that happened to various state quarter subjects.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    It's the curse of the state quarters.

I believe that the Charter Oak shown on the CT quarter was felled after appearing on the coin.

And I think there might have been one more casualty but I don't recall which one.

Both are new to me. I learn new things here on this forum. Both sad this time. So, it’s called the curse of the state quarters.
    Got it

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to break it to you all, but George Washington croaked on 14 December of 1799.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

The San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge of the famous 1936 commemorative half dollar is mostly gone.

United States commemorative half dollar San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge 1936-S

The long eastern span was replaced by a new structure.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tilted Oklahoma State Quarter Bird-Man ran off with the circus.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

i remember that. what a major bummer when that happened

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents took me and my siblings to see it when we were kids in the mid-1990s. I remember not seeing the rock outcropping, but imagined an old dude sitting in a chair above the "forehead" while people came up and asked for his advice.

Soon after it fell, rocks from the area were being sold on ebay and touted as having come from the outcropping and it wasn't long before the government put a stop to that too.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@thebeav said:
    Gee whiz.......
    Next, you guys are going to be telling me that Cesar Rodney's horse died !

He was turned into dog food and fed to Lassie. :o

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing that remains the same is change itself. Moving right along.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't it pretty much held together with baling wire and duct tape by the time it fell?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Old Man Of The Mountain will live forever on the New Hampshire State Quarter. :'(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in N.E. Tennessee and we knew within a couple days. My brother was in for a visit and told the family of visiting the site a few years earlier. Told about the bailing wire that messy desk alluded to.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty i can't believe that you hadn't heard about it way before now. It was major news.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it in 1992 while I was on a multi-day driving tour of New England.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

We saw it just before the ole man fell off. The bolts, cables and conservation in play did not instill confidence and so goes the rest of the story. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bolivarshagnasty must be so far out in the sticks that he does not get The Grand Ole Opry until Tuesday. :)

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

The Old Man slipped away shortly after the quarter issue. I went there on my first honeymoon, I got divorced shortly after he fell. Was stationed in N.H. For years, so I visited him and the white mountains many times. Even though one of the tests of time is gone, it’s STILL VERY worth your time to visit the white mountains. The change of colors is very hard to describe, but many people have similar scenes where they live. But, a visit to Mount Washington is a fantastic ride! You can drive to the top, where the highest wind speed ever recorded occurred. A wind speed of 231 mph is the fastest ever recorded by man. In August we had snow and ice, as well as the usual cold/windy weather. But it also offers great skiing opportunities in nearby areas.

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 4:54PM

Etched in time.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @bolivarshagnasty i can't believe that you hadn't heard about it way before now. It was major news.

Yeah, not sure how we missed it. 2003 would have been in the middle of soccer and cheer with the kids. Probably got home late the night it aired on the national news.

• Options

@golden said:
    Bolivarshagnasty must be so far out in the sticks that he does not get The Grand Ole Opry until Tuesday. :)

We are so off the beaten path, our local paper named the DAILY Banner is delivered 3 days a week. :o

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raycyca You forgot to mention the the drive up MT Washington is not for the faint hearted. Not much keeping you from going off the side of the mountain.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is stunning!

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

As a New Hampshire native it was a real sad day when he fell. I just feels like a little piece of New Hampshire is gone forever. :'(

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The Old Man Of The Mountain will live forever on the New Hampshire State Quarter. :'(

• Options

I look at that picture and think, it will soon be time to rake leaves. :/

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 70s, I did a couple of (fairly easy) rock climbs that finished on the left side of the Old Man's head.
    On top you could see 2" diameter steel rods, trying to hold the pieces together.
    There was also a layer of epoxy / glue on top to try to keep water out,
    and there were power cables leading down to the ski area, apparently to run heating elements up there
    to try to keep ice from freezing and knocking off the Old Man.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old man of the mountain was very wise. https://youtu.be/2vd5AM16V50

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drove up there but just missed it, he had already fallen. He just wasn't there anymore. Nothing. No rocks. https://youtu.be/QQyorpxZ8rs

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up not far from the old man in the mountain. I had not been there for nearly a decade and was excited to bring my girlfriend to see it. We were traveling from Wisconsin to New Hampshire and were going through Canada. Woke up In Montreal excited to go see the old man in the mountain that afternoon and the headline news is that it had fallen off the mountain. Got there to see a pile of ruble was not a good omen for the trip

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    The San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge of the famous 1936 commemorative half dollar is mostly gone.

United States commemorative half dollar San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge 1936-S

The long eastern span was replaced by a new structure.

Good riddance to the old eastern span (not pictured on that coin, BTW).

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file