Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll Hunting - What's your best find?

I have had a few strikes in rolls, but this one was like Christmas. I just opened a 2007 $10 bank roll of uncirculated quarters. All were BU Washington state coins. The roll has been in our collection since 2007 and I decided to unroll it today.

Best Answer

• Options
    RedcrossmomRedcrossmom Posts: 37 ✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    While picking up some quarter rolls back in 2020. I caught this baby.
    2020 W Tallgrass Prairie.
    I sent the coin to PCGS it came back a MS 67. Very high graded for the new W quarter program. I sold this coin at a show for
    $700. ;)

@Joeykoins -great snag! I had a USVI W in my hand and can't find it now. That was before I knew what it was.

Answers

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool!
    Are there any varieties to look out for?

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    That's cool!
    Are there any varieties to look out for?

As far as I know, there are no known errors or varieties on the Washington P 2007 quarter. The PCGS app shows a population of 2 MS70 quarters at $2,000.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2021 3:41PM

While picking up some quarter rolls back in 2020. I caught this baby.
    2020 W Tallgrass Prairie.
    I sent the coin to PCGS it came back a MS 67. Very high graded for the new W quarter program. I sold this coin at a show for
    $700. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    Back in the late 90s I got a $20.00 roll of uncirculated 1964 Kennedy halves for face at my local bank. Miss those days.

Most people don’t even know there were $20 rolls of halves.

Aren’t they called shotgun rolls?

• Options

@DCW said:
    I always post this one to these kind of threads:

My best find searching rolls from the bank, a 1983 Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Reverse found in 2013. Later graded PCGS MS64RD. Not bad for 30 years in circulation, right?

That's a pretty coin @DCW - why does it look silver? Shouldn't it be copper?

• Options

@MaineJim said:
    Back in 2009 I had an amazing find - at least for quantity. Stopped at a bank during my lunch break that was located in a grocery store and asked for halves. They had about $300 in rolls and I took them all. Good thing I did, I opened the roll that looked like it was pretty old and might be promising but was nothing special, opened another and smiled as it was solid silver, Walkers and Bens...most of the rest were the same. That was a good day.

Jim

Wow @MaineJim, that looks like a great collection. I want to go get some rolls from the bank, and trying to decide whether to go for the halves, or search 2020 quarters for Ws.

• Options

@Smudge said:

@DNADave said:
    Back in the late 90s I got a $20.00 roll of uncirculated 1964 Kennedy halves for face at my local bank. Miss those days.

Most people don’t even know there were $20 rolls of halves.

Aren’t they called shotgun rolls?

Thanks @DNADave, I learn something new everyday on this forum. So this particular roll was a shotgun roll. I still have a few more in storage, along with some customer rolls. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2021 3:58AM

In addition to the 25c 1976-D FS-101 shown above, check my icon photo. It's an 1854-O half dollar ender that I got in a bank box last October.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    In addition to the 25c 1976-D FS-101 shown above, check my icon photo. It's an 1854-O half dollar ender that I got in a bank box last October.

holy cow! @MarkKelley That's a beauty!

• Options

@Wahoo554 said:
    This was a really good box:

Oh my, that is a lot of halves! How much is that box, at the bank, and when did you get it?

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my second in 11 years of roll searching. The other was an AG 1861, but it wasn't an ender.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some incredible finds. I searched rolls of halves for a few years.... The only silver I found was a 1944 WLH... one....Nothing else. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redcrossmom said:

@Wahoo554 said:
    This was a really good box:

Oh my, that is a lot of halves! How much is that box, at the bank, and when did you get it?

It was a $500 box of bank rolled half dollars. Got this one about 2 years ago. Bank boxes are very hit or miss. This one was obviously a jackpot. I think there were 8-10 silver end coins when I opened the box so I knew I was in for some fun.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redcrossmom said:

That's a pretty coin @DCW - why does it look silver? Shouldn't it be copper?

It is copper plated zinc, as all post 1982 cents are. Just a bad photo, it still remains the copper plating

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been hunting since 1957.

G '15-S 5c
    VF- '50-D 5c
    Broadstruck clad dime.
    Various cuds and clipped planchets.
    1935 BU merc (super slider)

These were all found before 1972 when everyone was still checking their change. They all sold for a good price with the '50-D bringing $20 ($140 in today's money).

Since then I haven't found a single thing that would bring more than a few dollars and these are W quarters.

But I've found dozens (hundreds) of coins that I believe will be worth quite a lot in time including nice BU '82 and '83 issues.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I just randomly came across this thread with lots of great finds!

I remember fondly circa 2008-2010 I hunted mostly half boxes very hard and built up about 5x P&D Kennedy sets.

There was one box that had a couple rolls worth of 90%ers and another time I picked up a loose roll or two from the bank that were mostly 90%. lots of 40%ers in there.

I tried quarter boxes but they were truly terrible and dime boxes usually only netted 1-3 a box.

I think early walker dates in AG were the oldest aside from some indian cents, that I ever found.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

My single best coin was a double-struck broadstrike clad Kennedy Half. Value around $750, I'd guess.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was searching coin rolls in the late 1950's to the early 1970's. In those years my best find was a (About Oct. 15, 1962) 1909-S VDB (nice vf condition) and on April 13, 1973 at 11:55 pm found a 1972 DDO Lincoln cent (type one). The date is easy to remember because I got married the next day (April 14, 1973) and have been married to the same woman ever since. I found an 1857 Flying eagle cent also. The best nickel I found was a 1939-D. I still have all three of these coins. In Late 1962 you could still get silver dollars from the bank. My dad would get a $1000 bag every Wednesday until they ran out in early 1963. We found lots of better date Morgans including 5 1893-S's and 4 1889-CC's and all dates and mints (Morgans) excepting 1895-P. There also about 100 other worn CC's. The 1894 was a low grade G.
    I only kept a few of these for my Morgan set. There was also an 1859-S Liberty Seated dollar in one bag. Most of these dollars have been sold in the early 2000's.
    We (Me and Dad) also searched all other denominations with no great finds.
    Dimes- Nothing
    Quarters- Nothing
    Halves- Nothing

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 3:52PM

Found many!
    Here has got to be my BEST.

2020 W V75 Tallgrass Prairie ms 67

I hunted this down with many other W's.
    But this one was the best conditioned one.
    I sold it at a show for $700.
    I regret it now but at the time. That money came in very handy. Thanks.
    One more thing... I just recently sent another W Tallgrass out. I'm hoping for lightning to strike twice? :D

Sorry, I just realized I posted this coin earlier! Lol

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

The 1988 RDV-006 I found was unknown at the time but sending it in 2007 to Dr James Wiles got it authenticated - finally got placed in the cherrypickers guide

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best find while coin roll hunting was finding out to stop coin roll hunting.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped roll hunting in 1972. My most notable finds were a 1921 dime and a 1909 Lincoln cent in AU58. Along the way, I accumulated about 1000 Lincoln cents dated before 1940 and an entire rolls of 60DSDs, 1954-Ps, along with probably 20 rolls of S-mint cents from the 40s and 50s.

I'd rather cherrypick coins off of eBay these days.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some 1960-D sm date rolls on the cheep and found this and I sent them in for some nice grade’s.
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 13222015 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS64RD
    1 2 13222016 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD
    1 3 13222017 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS66RD
    1 4 13222018 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD
    1 5 13222019 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD
    1 6 13222020 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD
    1 7 13222021 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD
    1 8 13222022 37965 1960-D/D 1C Small/Large Date US MS65RD

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

...Small/Large Date US MS66RD
    Wow! Great results. Esp. On the ms 66.
    Congratulations
    <3B)<3

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Of many $500 bags of Ike dollars several had 498 or 499 or 501 or 502 coins. I suspected that the bags were "counted" by weighing them. Possibly confirming my theory: about 2009 a $500 bag of Ikes had 608 coins in it. Perhaps 250 of them were smaller coins including presidential, Sacagawea, and Anthonys.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Oh yes! One bag of 500 Ikes had a roll of silver Morgans and peace!

• Options

@MapsOnFire said:
    Oh yes! One bag of 500 Ikes had a roll of silver Morgans and peace!

WoW!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Snowman24 said:
    The 1988 RDV-006 I found was unknown at the time but sending it in 2007 to Dr James Wiles got it authenticated - finally got placed in the cherrypickers guide

wow :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this one in about $70 of Ike’s. Sorry for the old pictures, they were taken a while ago and I can’t retake them as I let this one go recently.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

My most recent superior CRHunt find!

2000p "Wounded Eagle"

• Options

Excellent find Joey!!! Your heart jumps and skips a beat when you see it, doesn't it?

• Options
    edited May 9, 2022 11:46PM

Lol.
    Here's a real find, in my book of CRHunting! I still can't believe it? Wow.

2020p Rockefeller Strike Through

Not just because of this Strike Through appearance but...

It's an Identical

one I found earlier in the year!

Exact One!

These 2 are at the top in my CRHunting repertoire!
    Thanks

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere in the early 1960's 1961-1963, I found a 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent while coin roll hunting with my dad. It is about VF and very nice looking. It is somewhere in my safe-deposit box at the bank. No photos available at the current time. Yes, I still have it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file