Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Very FIRST GTG - Grade REVEALED, with Comments - Page 2, posted at 12:48 pm Eastern time

2»

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au58

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2021 5:00AM

@d9lowe said:

@kaz said:
    I'm stuck with AU58 or MS 64.

Im sure there is a reason, but explain how there could be such a wide either/or.

Here's the reason that I sometimes consider two such different grade guesses... Often, it's difficult to tell from pictures (and sometimes in-person, as well), whether a coin has rub/very slight wear. If the coin in this thread does, than it looks to be AU58. On the other hand, if what we're seeing is slight weakness in strike, rather than rub/very slight wear, based on the coin's flaws, it looks approximately 63 to me, with a shot at Ms64.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    UNC details.

If it's an ms64 or ms65, it's time I quit guessing.

What would be your reason for "UNC details"?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@d9lowe said:

@kaz said:
    I'm stuck with AU58 or MS 64.

Im sure there is a reason, but explain how there could be such a wide either/or.

Here's the reason that I sometimes consider two such different grade guesses... Often, it's difficult to tell from pictures (and sometimes in-person, as well), whether a coin has rub/very slight wear. If the coin in this thread does, than it looks to be AU58. On the other hand, if what we're seeing is slight weakness in strike, rather than rub/very slight wear, based on the coin's flaws, it looks approximately 63 to me, with a shot at Ms64.

Makes sense!! Thanks

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see that it would grade above MS62 with all the chatter; though it has a lot of fresh eye appeal for these 20c pieces.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this Steve. I will go with 63+ CAC for my guess.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first rule of GTG is there must be a grade
    The 2nd rule of GTG is there must be a grade (eventually)

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be 63. I like it

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's time to post the grade!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2021 8:46AM

Ok did anyone else immediately think ‘CC?’

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    It's time to post the grade!

Understood, but I have some insights to share, and I'm tied up at work.
    Will post it this afternoon (Eastern Time)

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 63 due to field scratches.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did I win?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really had no idea what to guess, so I didn't even try. Nice explanation and worth waiting for. Thanks.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2021 10:44AM

I honestly didn’t see any rub….just a lot of scratches and hairlines, which led me to believe that it was lightly circulated. I was fully expecting the possibility of a low MS grade. Keep it in the rattler with a sticker on it. It’s worth a lot more that way, as I don’t think it will upgrade. Thanks for sharing…. It’s a nice piece.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I think that looks really nice for a 61!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought 63.

Nice win, and you get an A for the extra comments you just posted.

• Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to guess 61 on a coin, and tough photos to judge as well. Kudos to those who nailed it.

Thanks to OP for a great write up as well!

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of how many posters greatly overrated this coin.

I don't like the coin and would pass on it. The light scratches on the obverse are very distracting and I still think it has wear on the obverse as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

I don't like the coin and would pass on it. The light scratches on the obverse are very distracting and I still think it has wear on the obverse as well.

I for one definitely did go overboard with speculation because my photogrphy skills suck and there lies the margin of error with this one being huge, and also fueled by the fact that OP has great taste in coins and would not settle for anything lesser when it comes to grade. :blush:

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    UNC details.

Hairlines present in the fields around Liberty.

I know if I submitted that coin, it would come back 'details' as I've had less than that come back without a grade.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:
    I thought 63.

Nice win, and you get an A for the extra comments you just posted.

I did too but seeing as it was in a rattler, I figured it was a lower grade at that point in time.

• Options

Most people who aren’t the best graders never know how to weight impacted mint surfaces (frost loss) that is shy of luster impact. all people who do know how to grade struggle with photo conditions. And some of us just get lucky ;)

• Options

@291fifth said:

That is a small coin blown up way big, I bet it is lovely in hand. If what you said was true there would be a 99% Chance JA would pass on it. IMHO there is very few in this hobby with the bonafides to be more selective than him

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the important part correct, it's a CAC :smile:

• Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@MFeld said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    UNC details.

Hairlines present in the fields around Liberty.

I know if I submitted that coin, it would come back 'details' as I've had less than that come back without a grade.

While I don’t see the coin the same way you do, I appreciate the reply - thank you.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighting angles can and do overemphasize light scratches.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does 61 plus the CAC make my guess at 62 correct?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late but would have said ms64+. Send it to cac for sticker reconsideration.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or is liberty kind of goofy looking on the 20c...?
    🤔

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Is it just me or is liberty kind of goofy looking on the 20c...?
    🤔

In the opinion of some this seated design is considered goofy looking, especially the awkward bend in the wrist holding the flag.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 ...- strike
    - reverse spotty @ 6 o'clock.
    Just for giggles being a freshman.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2021 2:26AM

@emeraldATV said:
    61 ...- strike
    - reverse spotty @ 6 o'clock.
    Just for giggles being a freshman.

For what it’s worth, the strike isn’t subpar for a business strike and I don’t see anything “spotty” on the reverse that would negatively impact the grade.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in the 63 crowd, incredible coin for a 61!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum members are all over the map on this one. Of course we don’t have the coin in hand, just doing the best we can based on images.
    But even in hand, I think it’s tricky.
    If it were resubmitted multiple times, I’d bet a wide range of grade outcomes would occur.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file