Home U.S. Coin Forum

Manchester coin expo pickup, gold double eagle!!!

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2021 12:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I sold a few coins, even made a little profit and bought myself a pretty double eagle

Now I have two double eagles 🤩

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

Mr_Spud

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice a better common date 👍

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! Congrats!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smooth move, sell off and buy better. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Gold Eagle... both of them. I love big gold coins... That is why I stack them (raw) and I have slabbed ones as well... They can be addicting.... Cheers, RickO

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 3:00PM

Looks like a solid purchase. They both appear to have nice faces.

Only 16 more to go for a poverty date set ;) (1907 to 1928 minus the 1921)
    The 1925 looks like a good candidate for a TrueView.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that toning too - nice pickup!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it’s none of my business, but how much would that cost at a show? I am trying to get a sense where the best purchase price for a coin might be had.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup. Congrats!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!!

edited October 3, 2021 2:12PM

@markelman1125 said:
    He gave me a deal for $2250. I think it was a great deal, couldn’t pass up

Very well bought for $2250....Congratulations on that pick up. :)
    The speckled toning around the border looks cool & it has a nice, solid strike.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins at a very good price.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    The 1925 looks like a good candidate for a TrueView.

Yea it probably would look really nice in true view. It got a lot of deep orange Toaning.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice double eagles! Congratulations!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG!! Every time I look on the other thread to see what new is posted I see your beautiful Saint with orange peel toning. I said to myself if I see it one more time I’m gonna ask to buy it from you…..argh……so nice!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The third photo in particular concerns me. That large creamy area, to my eye, looks like it’s puttied. While the central region of a Saint can have a different lustre pattern which makes it stand out, even accounting for lighting, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a large patch of an off color like that. As an example, look at the second coin in CoinFacts, an MS67, which had a bit of creamy color, but it’s still broken up with lustre coming through, which is not what you see in the OP coin: https://forums.collectors.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1925-20/9180

Possibly also of note, that purchase price is a few hundred dollars under recent sales prices, and on a coin that should be easy to move when priced right. It makes me wonder if the dealer was trying to get a problem coin to go away quickly rather than just leaving a good chunk of change on the table just because.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    The third photo in particular concerns me. That large creamy area, to my eye, looks like it’s puttied. While the central region of a Saint can have a different lustre pattern which makes it stand out, even accounting for lighting, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a large patch of an off color like that. As an example, look at the second coin in CoinFacts, an MS67, which had a bit of creamy color, but it’s still broken up with lustre coming through, which is not what you see in the OP coin: https://forums.collectors.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1925-20/9180

Possibly also of note, that purchase price is a few hundred dollars under recent sales prices, and on a coin that should be easy to move when priced right. It makes me wonder if the dealer was trying to get a problem coin to go away quickly rather than just leaving a good chunk of change on the table just because.

I agree that part of the obverse of the 1925 Saint looks questionable.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited October 4, 2021 5:34AM

@airplanenut said:

>
    Maybe but I know the dealer and he always remembers me from several shows already, and bought gold from him in the past so I trust him, and who would not pass up on a well priced straight grade double eagle with a natural surface.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:

@airplanenut said:

>
    Maybe but I know the dealer and he always remembers me from several shows already, and bought gold from him in the past so I trust him, and who would not pass up on a well priced straight grade double eagle with a natural surface.

The surface doesn't look natural in your image.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

An in hand look at this one is needed... seems others have already expressed my concern... no need to dog plie. I do feel that there is a need to point out the difference in lustre in the center and outer edges of the fields. Having written that, take a close look at the arm holding the olive branch... it seems to have evidence of contact which, in mind, helps the cause as that looks original and encouraging. However there are rays and dress lines that give rise to concern which turns full circle back to the need for an in hand review. This may be more about photography that putty.

Hoping for the best

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:

@airplanenut said:

>

I'll make two quick counterpoints. First, a dealer should not earn your trust simply because you've made purchases from them before. A dealer's job in a very basic sense is to take your money and give you coins in exchange. Anyone with coins for sale can do that. A dealer that earns my trust is one who knows my taste and steers me to or away from a coin based on that; someone who would rather not make the sale if it's in my best interest to get a different piece. Just the same, such a dealer can and will point out the good AND bad with a given coin. A trustworthy dealer, whether to you or to the collecting community as a whole, is someone with great knowledge and integrity... and great coins. Think about the dealers here who get brought up time and again when different series get brought up. They're the ones with whom many knowledgeable collectors have had consistently positive experiences. That's not to say a smaller dealer isn't/can't be trustworthy, but those dealers have the traits a trustworthy dealer should emulate. Simply selling coins is just them doing their job.

"who would not pass up on a well priced straight grade double eagle with a natural surface. " I wouldn't, but my comment can be summed up as saying I think the coin was heavily discounted because the coin turned in the holder (doesn't deserve a straight grade) and doesn't have natural surfaces, so what you wrote completely ignores what I wrote.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like everything APN wrote... I still see a need for an in hand review. Pictures and images are just not an absolute substitute for an in hand review

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@airplanenut the 3rd photo that concerns you is a little weird because it is in a plastic bag that the coin was sold in. That’s why it looks weird in that picture. The coin itself is really nice 👍

edited October 4, 2021 3:29PM

@MFeld said:
    I agree that part of the obverse of the 1925 Saint looks questionable.

There are a couple of opinions on why some saints "spotlight" but it's no indication that they've been messed with.
    Here's a MS66+ 1923-D with the same sort of look.

BTW...This is one of only 2 saints I own that JA actually liked. :D

My thought is that it's new dies and how the metal moves into the center device.
    Other things such as hot planchets & higher than normal press pressure have been suggested.

The thing spotlit coins seem to have in common are fully formed torch rings. (on top under the flame)

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to politely inject but @MFeld & @airplanenut have covered most of what I would have. It’s large gold so any downside (and upside) is somewhat limited

Sorry for the confusion for saying that I trust the dealer for selling me coins in the past. I don’t just go to him because he sells me stuff, he also gives me lots of advice that has been vary helpful to my knowledge in collecting. I really like to talk to him and he likes to talk to me about history not just buy.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best guess is that the photo is making the toned '25 appear to have "putty haze". Would be good to see a professional photo of the coin. Plus, are MS65 generic Saints frequently puttied? Previously, I only heard about the putty problem on rarer gold coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file