Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which Museum has 5 first strike Eisenhower Dollars?

DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2021 10:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was doing my due diligence in researching the "first strike" 1971-S Eisenhower dollars. Then I came upon five "first strike" specimens. One proof was in a similar case as the General Schulz specimen (search for Unsung First Day Issues). Two other proofs were in gold presentation boxes. One was sealed in OGP proof holder. The last was in an uncirculated in a blue pack.

The blue pack is what I was searching for as I have a President Nixon gift set (FDOI dated letter signed by the President (autograph was authenticated) and blue pack.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 10:06AM

1971-S Type I Proof- it is quite rare and quite the modern numismatic mystery.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting what appears to be a plethora of re-engraving all over the eagle or have i just not been paying as much attention to the finer details on these dollars?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice Ike dollar - @coinkat... Is it slabbed?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were going to strike a handful of presentation pieces, a little handwork on the die might not be out of character nor unexpected. it is a nice bird.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    interesting what appears to be a plethora of re-engraving all over the eagle or have i just not been paying as much attention to the finer details on these dollars?

Coinkat's photo is the rare 1971-S $1 proof Type I reverse. There are very few of these known, and it is speculated that these may have been struck to be given out at a particular ceremony. However, I do not believe they are the same "first strike" coins that @DrDarryl is talking about.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko and @IkesT

The coin in the image is not mine and neither is the image. Unfortunately, I am not able to capture this rarity with the deserving flair that the PCGS photo team routinely does so I want to take this opportunity to thank them for the images they have taken of what is likely one of the greatest rarities and mysteries of modern US numismatics that has been ignored for decades. It seems no matter what is written about this coin, there is an ongoing disconnect as to its importance and rarity. Seems the variation in the brown box with the Nixon signature was not enough (as of today) to create interest which will ultimately be a lost opportunity for many that should have been paying attention.

I suppose it raises the question and affirms there is a Numismatic Santa Claus... read into it what you choose to believe

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 3:08PM

Neat details

peacockcoins

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Ike’s seem to be gaining attention as of late. My grandad loved them. I offloaded over 100 of those woody brown box Ike’s after I took over his … hoard.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I like it - not so friendly eagle (non FEV) .

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file