Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A coining set .....made a mistake, it's actually a die state grading set of Jefferson nickels.

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 4, 2021 7:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My apologies to all. Being very familiar to the EDS (early die state) acronym . The use of "die state" in the description threw me off.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would depend on the denomination, date, and condition. Are these dies cancelled? If so, how much of the design detail is still showing? Is there surface rust? If so, how much? There are just too many variables to answer such a vague question. Some good pics would really help.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

They're coming for my approval.....whatever that's worth. But yeah, you leave a lot of open questions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    They're coming for my approval.....whatever that's worth. But yeah, you leave a lot of open questions.

Once you get them, take some good pics and share them with us. This die pair may be unique and difficult to value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not an expert by any means but I have had some dies and can share my experiences.
    The first was a '60's nickel die that had the detail removed with a torch. I think I sold it for about $10.
    The next was a proof 1968-S pair of quarter dies. Much of the detail was removed with a torch but you could make out the date and enough detail to see portions of the obverse and reverse. Was asking $400 for the pair, after years I sold them for $300. (still over what I paid).
    I also owned a bunch of 1996 Olympic dies from the Atlanta Olympics. Now these are popular because they were defaced with a machined cross so most of the detail was still present. Bought these early at low prices and sold them when I raised funds for a large project. They generally bring $500 and up on ebay.

My main point is that detail is everything. The more detail, the higher the price.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

From the 1950's? Well, they are close to 70 years old. You mentioned rust, one turned up in my search.....don't want that.

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    I am not an expert by any means but I have had some dies and can share my experiences.
    The first was a '60's nickel die that had the detail removed with a torch. I think I sold it for about $10.
    The next was a proof 1968-S pair of quarter dies. Much of the detail was removed with a torch but you could make out the date and enough detail to see portions of the obverse and reverse. Was asking $400 for the pair, after years I sold them for $300. (still over what I paid).
    I also owned a bunch of 1996 Olympic dies from the Atlanta Olympics. Now these are popular because they were defaced with a machined cross so most of the detail was still present. Bought these early at low prices and sold them when I raised funds for a large project. They generally bring $500 and up on ebay.

My main point is that detail is everything. The more detail, the higher the price.

$500? Yowee! Don't know if I'll get that excited......have to wait and see.

• Options

But I do think seeing an inverse design of a coin will be interesting, depending on how much features are left on the dies. If little.....I won't need a couple of expensive paper weights. Just saying.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The value is speculative. It all depends on finding a person with money who wants such an item at a given point in time. If such an item were offered to me I would make no offer because I regard them as nothing more than scrap metal. Defaced coin dies are heavy and bulky. They take up valuable storage space.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find these old dies interesting, but usually very expensive.... and being 'cancelled', in one way or another, further devalues them in my opinion.... Sure, I understand why they are defaced, but that eliminates me as a potential customer, especially at the prices they ask. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 3:47AM

I would not get too excited assuming the dies left the mint legally.

The Olympic dies are legendary as they have almost all the detail remaining.

The state quarter dies sold by the mint, on the other hand, had 100% of the detail removed.

I know that there were many 1968 proof dies that were discovered in a scrap yard and they had varying degrees of detail visible, from a little bit to none.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a cent die that is glued onto a nice wood display along with a couple wheat cents ... it is completely defaces and I think I got for under $25.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I have a cent die that is glued onto a nice wood display along with a couple wheat cents ... it is completely defaces and I think I got for under $25.

I have one of those, too. With a glass dome cover.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

What country?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

USA! USA! USA! (Sports chant) :)

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Mint dies from the 1950s, in any degree of cancelation, are extremely rare. It might also be tough to actually attribute a die to the 1950s without a visible date or other identifier.

If actually from this decade, they would have a premium over the more abundant San Fran dies from the 1960s, due to their rarity.

Would love to see pics.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say “set,” do you mean cent, nickel, dime, quarter and half, or do you mean “pair” as in two dies of the same denomination?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file