Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

*MY FIRST GIVEAWAY!!!* Ends Monday, Sept. 27, 2021

SummerDays3104SummerDays3104 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2021 1:46PM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

So, I promised you guys a giveaway if you guys helped me reach my goal of 100 Likes and LOLs! Well, you guys helped me get there and here it is!!!

I will be carefully handpicking the prize by the end of this giveaway and you will not know the prize you'll be getting (which makes this even more exciting.) There will only be ONE person who can receive the prize!! So, what I need you guys to do in this giveaway is to post another cool coin (not the same one posted previously in the last thread,) explain why it's your coolest, and whichever one I deem coolest by Monday, Sept. 27, 2021 will be the winner... Be sure to post a good one! If you do not want a prize but still want to win, pass the prize on to another YN (not me.) The prize will involve silver, copper, and possibly nickel!

Comments

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t seen a70. This

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opportunity. The coin attached is a 2008 rev 2007 that got the 70 grade and was submitted raw to our hosts. Was my first real win.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dug this beaut at 4" and then I dug a trigger guard for a flint lock rifle. But I digress. Thanks for the chance. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 8:09AM

Ok, this coin was from my wife’s great grandparents collection. We ended up with it when her grandmother passed. The family was in the same town in NJ since colonial times. They were Quaker farmers. It must have been really hard for them to set this much money aside back in the day.

Mr_Spud

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 9:01AM

Not fair that’s my best coin. Jim’s a wonderful guy and all that. Fine your contest 😢. Now if I could just learn to read 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "cool" coin is actually 2 coins, which contrast each other nicely. These are the pictures from ebay, for the 21 and 21d mercs purchased on Sunday, to complete my circ merc set. :smile:

They will all be raw in a whitman album, except the IPG AG-3 16d; I probably won't crack that out.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 8:01AM

• MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased this last year, counterstamped with my correct first initial and last name. Only the middle initial is not the same as mine (but only off by 1 letter). Thanks for the opportunity!

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK I see this thread was closed and moved.

Was it moved here to the U.S. Coin forum from somewhere else?

Or was it here and now is somewhere else?

Just confused.

edited September 14, 2021 6:04PM

OK, since it appears this thread is alive and well despite the confusing alerts, here is my "entry" for cool coin as specified by the OP.

To me, my coin is "cool" given its unique appearance and interesting history. As traced back through auction records it has been identified as once having been in the personal collection of its designer, John B. Longacre. As such it may well have been among the first 1850 Double Eagles struck, if not the first. Described in the various auctions as "Proof" or "Proof Like," Max Mehl's written description in a 1949 auction is informative:

"1850 The most beautiful specimen of this date $20.00 Gold Piece I have ever seen or that I can find a record of. This coin was purchased by Dr. Green as a proof ....
    "The obverse is brilliant and equal to a brilliant proof...
    "I classify it as a brilliant semi-proof, almost equal to a brilliant proof."

FWIW, and for comparison, here is the obverse of the only other known 1850 $20 Double Eagle that I am aware of for which a claim has been made to its having been a proof. At one point in time it was thought that both the above pictured and below pictured coins may have been struck at the same time, but Mint records located by numismatic researcher Roger Burdette lead to the conclusion that it was most likely a specimen contained in a special set for the "Committee on the Library" and was minted much later in the year. The "master coin" as it was then termed apparently ended up going abroad through the efforts of an Alexandre Vattemare where it remains to this day in a museum.

@1northcoin said:
    OK, since it appears this thread is alive and well despite the confusing alerts, here is my "entry" for cool coin as specified by the OP.

To me, my coin is "cool" given its unique appearance and interesting history. As traced back through auction records it has been identified as once having been in the personal collection of its designer, John B. Longacre. As such it may well have been among the first 1850 Double Eagles struck, if not the first. Described in the various auctions as "Proof" or "Proof Like," Max Mehl's written description in a 1949 auction is informative:

"1850 The most beautiful specimen of this date $20.00 Gold Piece I have ever seen or that I can find a record of. This coin was purchased by Dr. Green as a proof ....

FWIW, and for comparison, here is the obverse of the only other known 1850 $20 Double Eagle that I am aware of for which a claim has been made to its having been a proof. At one point in time it was thought that both the above pictured and below pictured coins may have been struck at the same time, but Mint records located by numismatic researcher Roger Burdette lead to the conclusion that it was most likely a specimen contained in a special set for the "Committee on the Library" and was minted much later in the year. The "master coin" as it was then termed apparently ended up going abroad through the efforts of an Alexandre Vattemare where it remains to this day in a museum.

@1northcoin said:

repost

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 10:45AM

@gumby1234 said:

Its the coolest curved clip because it has the date on a super large clip and a high grade. I have seen one other curved clip just larger by 1 percent but it has no date on it.

Is it this (partial date) one? B)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE yep thats the one

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 8:29PM

I would have a hard time picking my favorite ("coolest") coin. This one is high on the list, however.

It's cool for any number of historical reasons (and it's got a lot of history, being over 2,200 years old), but when you get right down to it, it's all about the owl for me. :)

Greece (Spartans in Taras, Calabria, Italy): silver drachm; Athena and owl, ca. 302-281 BC

Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing helmet with figure of the monster Scylla hurling a stone.
    Reverse: Owl standing right, head facing, TAP left, ZOP (magistrate’s name) over olive branch.
    Issuer: Spartan colony of Taras in Calabria.
    Specifications: Silver, 16.9 mm maximum diameter, weight 3.233 g, die axis 180°.
    Grade: NGC XF; Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5, cert.# 4280918-003. Purchased raw.
    Reference: Vlasto 1049; SNG ANS 1303; HN Italy 975; BMC Italy p. 201, 309; SGCV I 367.
    Provenance: Ex-Forum Ancient Coins, USA, 28 June 2017.* Prior provenance to Art of Money, Portland, Oregon, USA.
    Notes: This is an exceptional example of the artistry on the coinage of the Spartan colony in Taras, Calabria, situated at the southern tip of Italy. The city was later known to the Romans as Tarentum. The modern Italian city is called Taranto.
    Comments: This is one of my favorite coins. I love that startled-looking little owl.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mathparkmathpark Posts: 16
    edited September 19, 2021 12:43PM

2004 D keelboat and peace struck on sintered planchet.keelboat was my First roll find.

• This keelboat nickel is my coolest coin as I found it at the gas station I worked at in college which just so happened to be where I met my wife.😍 guess I pumped her gas.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this back from grading not too long ago. A rather large struck thru error on a West point minted quarter when theoretically, West Point should have had the best quality control. A really neat piece that slipped out.

I created a thread in the US coins forum with a little more info if you would like to check it out.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1063721

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• mathparkmathpark Posts: 16
    edited September 19, 2021 8:25PM

• Guys I’m so sorry I’m new to pcgs my comments are probably all messed up

• QuezlQuezl Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited March 5, 2022 4:20PM

Having just started collecting around a month ago, my first graded toned coin I purchased. Never knew that coins came all colours before then. All I knew previously were blast white specimens :smile:

• I got this one for only $15. I like the toning.

Young Numismatist

• So, what happens now?

Young Numismatist

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbirdcoins no idea but @SummerDays3104 hasn't been on the forum since Sept 20. Hopefully he is OK.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 6:00PM

@gumby1234 said:
    @hummingbirdcoins no idea but @ hasn't been on the forum since Sept 20. Hopefully he is OK.

Seems like SummerDays3104 never logged in after Sept. 20th

I LOLled twice getting the OP to 129 Like & 129 LOL

• I hope you consider these eligible, they are cool coins and they are .999 silver $10 tokens