Home Q & A Forum

Is it possible...

To ship coins by sticking it in my mailbox? Or do I have to go to the post office?

Best Answer

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 12:09PM Answer ✓

Sure. as long as the envelope/package fits in the box the mail carrier will take it. (Raise the flag)
    And if you have a printer it's better to print postage labels with tracking numbers (First class/Priority Mail)
    To make sure the carrier picks it up you can go to the USPS website and schedule a pickup.
    https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Answers

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've shipped many packages out from selling on eBay just by placing them in my mailbox. I wouldn't recommend it for higher value items though. If the package is of higher value, I would take it to the local PO and have it scanned to activate the insurance on it.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys like to live dangerously. :o

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, and work from home. I have a gravity activated wireless device that sounds a buzzer in my house whenever the lid to my mailbox is opened. This way I know EXACTLY when the mail is delivered so that I can retrieve coins (almost always expensive) once they’re delivered. I also get the USPS email update right after they’ve been delivered. Occasionally if it’s misdelivered, and I get that USPS email, I contact either my mailman or the local post office to let them know as such. I’ve never lost a coin!

For outgoing coin packages, my mailman is trained (by me) to automatically scan at the time of pickup any outgoing package with a bar code. When I hear the buzzer, I then look at the USPS tracking website to make sure my package was scanned, as once a week the pickup is by someone else when my mailman is off.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    You guys like to live dangerously. :o

I guess so.

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even like putting a check in my mail box. I'm more worried about the substitute postal carrier refusing to do their job,which usually don't, than I do about a mail box bandit! :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• I sure could use some help. I’ve gone through so many coins in the last year looking for error coins mostly. I’ve got quite a variety, I’m just now sending some in to get graded, coins are picked out and the forms complete. I’m waiting for my flips. I realize I can’t get them all graded.So,Is eBay where I want to send the ones that aren’t graded? There’s to grade or not to grade and then there’s how to grade the not graded. Then there’s auction or eBay or both and I have no idea yet what either of those consist of. I’ve been in limbo for a couple months I really need a lil shove in the right direction so I can keep moving forward. Thank you. PS what do they mean when they say you can use markdown in your post?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stlance61 Welcome to the forum! :)

It might be best if you post photos of what you are sending for grading before you send them.
    Lots of experts here to give you some good information.