Home Q & A Forum

Is it possible...

To ship coins by sticking it in my mailbox? Or do I have to go to the post office?

I love life and life seems to love me!

DISCLAIMER: Please, don't take my advice or comments as fact... I am only using my knowledge of coins and I AM NOT an expert and am not as knowledgeable at coins as many of the other members here.

Best Answer

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 12:09PM Accepted Answer

Sure. as long as the envelope/package fits in the box the mail carrier will take it. (Raise the flag)
    And if you have a printer it's better to print postage labels with tracking numbers (First class/Priority Mail)
    To make sure the carrier picks it up you can go to the USPS website and schedule a pickup.
    https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    ― Will Rogers

Answers

• @Steven59 said:
    Sure. as long as the envelope/package fits in the box the mail carrier will take it. (Raise the flag)
    And if you have a printer it's better to print postage labels with tracking numbers (First class/Priority Mail)
    To make sure the carrier picks it up you can go to the USPS website and schedule a pickup.
    https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm

Thank you!

I love life and life seems to love me!

DISCLAIMER: Please, don't take my advice or comments as fact... I am only using my knowledge of coins and I AM NOT an expert and am not as knowledgeable at coins as many of the other members here.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've shipped many packages out from selling on eBay just by placing them in my mailbox. I wouldn't recommend it for higher value items though. If the package is of higher value, I would take it to the local PO and have it scanned to activate the insurance on it.

Young Numismatist/collector
    41 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 26 members and counting!

• JBKJBK Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys like to live dangerously. :o

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, and work from home. I have a gravity activated wireless device that sounds a buzzer in my house whenever the lid to my mailbox is opened. This way I know EXACTLY when the mail is delivered so that I can retrieve coins (almost always expensive) once they’re delivered. I also get the USPS email update right after they’ve been delivered. Occasionally if it’s misdelivered, and I get that USPS email, I contact either my mailman or the local post office to let them know as such. I’ve never lost a coin!

For outgoing coin packages, my mailman is trained (by me) to automatically scan at the time of pickup any outgoing package with a bar code. When I hear the buzzer, I then look at the USPS tracking website to make sure my package was scanned, as once a week the pickup is by someone else when my mailman is off.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    You guys like to live dangerously. :o

I guess so.