Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

have coin prices increased in the same way sportscards have since Covid?

Got wondering the other day if US Coin prices have been on a similar trajectory as Sportscards since march 2019?

thought some of you guys are into both.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Good question and I'll be looking forward to seeing the replies. I have a few friends who are into timepieces and many watches have increased in value during the pandemic.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin values are far less volatile...the meteoric rise in values for cards is unlike anything ever seen in the numismatic industry.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

I collect some coins (on a small level) and they have not risen like sports cards. It's mostly tied to the spot value of silver & gold. Silver was around $16-$18 an ounce before covid, then went down to around $11 when the financial markets crashed. Soon though, it jumped up to nearly $30 an ounce, and it hangs around $24 today. Silver coin prices (which is what I collect) followed a similar roller coaster based on the going rate.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting. I wonder if the trend continues, whether top level sportscards will overtake the top coins for value. I know one coin sold for around 18MM this year. there is talk that the trimmed wagner and PSA 10 mantles would top 20MM when they come up for sale.

I always considered the coin hobby as more valuable monetarily as a whole, but, if the current trend continues I wonder if that will change. Especially if you add in Sports Memorabilia. I have one friend who collects US coins and he tells me that every show he attends that it seems the average age of collectors is getting older. Anecdotal, but i wonder how true it is.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the cards, depends on the coin. Huge jumps in high end product for collectible across the board. You name the collectible, there’s a record price with the right piece.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 7:09PM

I collect Only ms 64 or better buffalo nickels and have actually seen the prices coming down Or stay flat. But that’s the only set I fallow. But I was also wondering about the hobby as well lately.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

While up not even close

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several components that are distinctly different that make up both the sports card and coin markets. I have in interest in vintage baseball cards mostly up to around 1961-62 with a few stars or noteworthy personalities through 1969. From where I sit, high grade HOF cards have done well and condition rarities seem to attract interest. The rates in which these cards have increased have varied. Out of the vintage, I remain surprised that there are big names from back in the day that are very affordable.... as in downright cheap. These guys will never be in the HOF...but they should not be forgotten either. These are the cards worth looking at... I will come back and name names if there is an interest.

As for coins, there will be rotation in and out of specific series and various countries. Some countries have done amazingly well. There are so many factors that influence coins that are just different that sports cards.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.