Home Q & A Forum
Options

May I ask the question?

How did a math teacher become the leading expert on coin mintage and machining?

Comments

• Options

Thank you for your welcome....

A calculated move? How so?

• Options

See I think certain definitions may be in error.....

• Options

As an example.....ALL errors minted on coins are "machine errors", other than over polished dies, other wise they'd be put there on purpose.....

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you reading this?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I'm not reading this.....I worked in various machine shops, but not in the mint, and witnessed how errors happen....I've also read though, the definitions..,.it's my belief that all errors should have a designated value and that none should be designated "worthless" because it creates an ambiguous situation that lends to cheating people.....

• Options

Took me a it to get it Vansa..... B)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market already designates a value for minor errors and many times that value is 0. Why? Because collectors have no reason to pay a premium for them when they can be found in circulation for face value. Why would dealers pay a premium if there is no demand?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with searching rolls and collecting minor errors. Maybe calling them "worthless" is a little harsh, but saying they have "no added value" is factual and accurate

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 6:47AM

@nibor0313 said:
    it's my belief that all errors should have a designated value and that none should be designated "worthless" because it creates an ambiguous situation that lends to cheating people.....

You can't force someone to pay a certain amount. Its worth what someone is willing to pay.

Value is a function of supply and demand.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nibor0313 said:
    As an example.....ALL errors minted on coins are "machine errors", other than over polished dies, other wise they'd be put there on purpose.....

Technically speaking, over polished dies are a die variety, ss are doubled dies, etc.

Also, I don't know what s "machine error" is. I know what "machine doubling" is, and the term is quite appropriate.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nibor0313

The following site has an extensive listing of error and variety types broken down by minting and die making process steps. I think you'll find it very useful and it can probably help answer many of your initial questions

Www.error-ref.com

Member of the ANA since 1982