Home Q & A Forum

May I ask the question?

How did a math teacher become the leading expert on coin mintage and machining?

Comments

• Thank you for your welcome....

A calculated move? How so?

• See I think certain definitions may be in error.....

• As an example.....ALL errors minted on coins are "machine errors", other than over polished dies, other wise they'd be put there on purpose.....

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you reading this?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I'm not reading this.....I worked in various machine shops, but not in the mint, and witnessed how errors happen....I've also read though, the definitions..,.it's my belief that all errors should have a designated value and that none should be designated "worthless" because it creates an ambiguous situation that lends to cheating people.....

• Took me a it to get it Vansa..... B)

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market already designates a value for minor errors and many times that value is 0. Why? Because collectors have no reason to pay a premium for them when they can be found in circulation for face value. Why would dealers pay a premium if there is no demand?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with searching rolls and collecting minor errors. Maybe calling them "worthless" is a little harsh, but saying they have "no added value" is factual and accurate

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 6:47AM

@nibor0313 said:
    it's my belief that all errors should have a designated value and that none should be designated "worthless" because it creates an ambiguous situation that lends to cheating people.....

You can't force someone to pay a certain amount. Its worth what someone is willing to pay.

Value is a function of supply and demand.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nibor0313 said:
    As an example.....ALL errors minted on coins are "machine errors", other than over polished dies, other wise they'd be put there on purpose.....

Technically speaking, over polished dies are a die variety, ss are doubled dies, etc.

Also, I don't know what s "machine error" is. I know what "machine doubling" is, and the term is quite appropriate.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nibor0313

The following site has an extensive listing of error and variety types broken down by minting and die making process steps. I think you'll find it very useful and it can probably help answer many of your initial questions

Www.error-ref.com

Member of the ANA since 1982