Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greysheet PR: "Amazing Half Dime From the Fledgling US Mint "

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is nuts!!!!

Greysheet......

"The US Mint was brand-new to making coins in the 1790s and was only starting to get up to speed by 1794. Things were still so preliminary that only a few denominations were struck in 1794: just the Half Dollar, Dollar, Cent, Half Cent, and Half Dime were minted that year. It would not be until 1796 when denominations such as the Quarter and Dime were added to the rotation. This was also the time period when the new United States had to rely on a ragtag mix of coins from other countries in circulation because there were not yet enough US-minted coins going around to fill the needs of commerce, making the first attempts at an American coinage hugely important and widely used."

Continues in link:

https://www.greysheet.com/news/story/amazing-half-dime-from-the-fledgling-us-mint

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one insanely beautiful coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice !

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse die sure took a beating.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse lamination is NOT on the cheek! o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, it's a nice coin, but I prefer my classic US issue silver to actually have some skin to it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Would kill to own iit!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's about as un-original as a coin can be. the nice job done notwithstanding, where's the outcry by Numismatists about a ruined coin?? :s I would like to see a "before" picture.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly looks 'restored' to me..... A coin like that should have some dark areas along with grey....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would really love to have a roll of these! just like that one.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great example of a rare H10c from the early days of the mint. The heavy die cracks add to the appeal. With a few cheek hairlines and subdued luster from being dipped, it would look even better in an MS63 holder, based on what I think I am seeing in the photos.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just drools......

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 5:35PM

Dipped or conserved, that is one hell of a 227 year old U.S. coin displaying full devices.
    The reverse die cracks only elevate this historical specimen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file