Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Years Wish List for the Set Registry and PCGS

If everyone has a wish list for David Hall to initiate........
What are your wishes?

I wish for all variety sets to accept all varieties recognized by PCGS
with a pop of 5 or more

Iwant PCGS to GRADE all crossovers regardless of whether or not the coins cross

I WISH THE CANADIAN SET REGISTRY SUCCEEDS

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I want PCGS to GRADE all crossovers regardless of whether or not the coins cross

This should be a no-brainer. They have to enter the PCGS grader-assigned grade, don't they? That means the info already exists. How hard would it be to add a column on the submission status form?
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I "quick" log-in to edit your Registry Sets.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a corollary to you, Stewart, I would ask they not recognize varieties in the basic sets (for instance, in the iHC's, 1865, 1873, 1886, etc). Just list the year and let the collector decide what coin of that year they want to list.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Weight the type sets

2) Assign a PCGS grade to failed crossovers that can be utilized for Registry purposes (like Stuart says). This will partially counteract the advantage of the NGC Registry whereby both slabs are allowed. Is it really fair to ask a Registry participant to lower the value of their coin in order to participate? Paying the money for the crossover attempt and getting a PCGS grade is a fair compromise!

3) Encourage (with some sort of bonus) participants to open their sets and add pictures.
  • Options
    2. Assign a PCGS grade to failed crossovers that can be utilized for Registry purposes.

What a wonderful idea! image
  • Options
    Spooly asked me by PM to clarify:

Are you say the PCGS should grade the coin.... give it a insert number... but NOT slab the coin . This way you could enter the insert number to Register the coin in the PCGS Registry?

Yes - use the current holder number and add a PCGS control number to allow the PCGS grade to be utilized on the registry. I would do this even if they charged more.

An example: The Vermeule 1873-CC trade dollar that I bought raw out of the Stacks sale last year. I paid $75,000 for the coin and PCGS graded it MS64 and then NGC graded it MS65. An NGC MS65 is worth the $75k I paid, a PCGS MS64 is worth about $45,000. There is no way I am taking a $30,000 hit in order to list that coin on my registry set - instead I have to tie up $45,000 in a duplicate 1873-CC graded PCGS MS64. I have not submitted the coin for crossover yet, but let's say I do and it doesn't cross. There should be a PCGS service where they grade the coin according to PCGS standards and assign a Registry number to the coin.
  • Options
    I would like PCGS to launch the basic c/n/s type set. This set would have one of each major type ending in 1964. So, for example instead of 5 (or is it 6) seated liberty quarters, this set would only have one. David Hall promised it last year, but so far no action.

I like the idea of grading NGC coins that do not cross and allowing them to be entered in the registry. Even better would be for PCGS to allow up to say 5% of a set to be NGC coins. Such coins could be limited to those valued over say $5,000. This would solve legitimate complaints such as those voiced by TDN.

I would like PCGS to initiate an appeal process for those few coins that a collector really believes are higher graded. The collector should be allowed to submit written reasons and have a verbal discussion with the head grader. The answer should come back from PCGS in written form with detailed reasons. Obviously such a service would be charged premium rates, say $300 to $500 per coin.

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I want PCGS to GRADE all crossovers regardless of whether or not the coins cross

More than a fair request. We the customers demand it. The information can and should be provided.

Imagine telling PCGS you'll pay for the service if the coin makes the grade you want. If it doesn't, you won't pay. Yeah, that'll work. imageimage

What's the difference?
    Dan
  • Options
    I would like PCGS to launch the basic c/n/s type set. This set would have one of each major type ending in 1964. So, for example instead of 5 (or is it 6) seated liberty quarters, this set would only have one. David Hall promised it last year, but so far no action.

I like the sound of that set. Short, sweet, and to the point. The one that's up now would more like a C/N/S with Varieties Set, I assume.
    Dan
  • Options
    Stewart - only coins with 5 or more in the pop????????? Your too modest. I say if its a pop 1/1 it should be listed. And weighted commensurately.image

TDN - I really liked your suggestion on that 75K coin. I'm thinking, maybe I'll start a new company up in 2003. A slab with an NGC AND PCGS label.
  • Options
    DAM:

The basic type set would be the c/n/s version of the basic gold type set. The basic gold type set is 12 pieces, and is listed under gold in the speciality section. The c/n/s version would have about 35 pieces, and would be for those interested in a high grade type set without all the minor varieties. We had extensive discussion of this idea on the Board last year. After lots of lobbying, David Hall agreed to it, and as far as I know still plans to do it, but only after all the current sets are weighted. I would like to see the idea moved up in the queue.

Greg
  • Options
    Doesn't any one want a short set for Lincoln's? Its on my list.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

I wish that the Lincoln Cent short set 1934 - 1958 be added

I also wish for a 1909 - 1934 set be added

I wish Variety sets be seperated from the basic sets.Variety sets need their own link

Stewart

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I want PCGS to GRADE all crossovers regardless of whether or not the coins cross.

Great idea. That way anybodys' holder could be used in the Registry once it had a PCGS assigned grade. If fact if you liked NGC holders (for some weird reasonimage), you could request just a grade and leave it in the original holder. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Somehow the thought of a coin given a PCGS grade but not existing in a PCGS holder does not sit right with me. I thought it was all about the coin, not the holder. Crossovers are all about the money, not the coin. Too bad. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Typetone's wish on a means of discussing a coin's merit or lack of with the PCGS graders. The mechanism, I believe, exists as a round table. Details anyone?
  • Options
    Somehow the thought of a coin given a PCGS grade but not existing in a PCGS holder does not sit right with me

Steve: how do all the estimated sets on the Registry sit with you?

Edited to add my response to Spooly's PM:

It's just as good a concept as the "estimated sets" - perhaps even better. When submitted for crossover, PCGS can do all the examination that they want in order to determine the grade.

So the question comes down to this: Is it all about the coins being in the right holder or graded to the right standard? Why should PCGS care what holder the coin actually exists in if they 1) got the crossover fee and 2) assigned a grade according to their own standards?

It would certainly counteract one of the significant drawbacks to the PCGS Set Registry and lead to more participation. All the people who refuse to play the crossover game would jump at the chance to partake of this service, leading to more revenue for PCGS.
  • Options

I will send Homerunhall an e mail before the end of the year to assure that he reads this thread.

I hope we all hope our wish lists succeed...........

TDN - How do you think NGC would grade the Vermuele 73 cc if you submitted it for crossover in a PCGS ms 64 holder ?

My wish that PCGS GRADE CROSSOVERS is so I don't have to crack out the coin OR if I want to downgrade the coin I will know what it will grade.

Stewart
  • Options
    Steve: how do all the estimated sets on the Registry sit with you?

That hit the proverbial nail right on it's head! image

I would love to see a PCGS pop report for coins that didn't cross, and given a "PCGS" grade. Now that would be interesting!
    Dan
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    3) Encourage (with some sort of bonus) participants to open their sets and add pictures.

I like this idea too!

Hidden sets (- 5%) off set ranking.
    Sets with Pictures + 5% to set ranking.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    tradedollarnut, I don't like the estimated registry sets either IF they are treated with all the others. They should be in a separate section only for comparison purposes. Let's face it, the PCGS registry is a successful marketing program by PCGS. It provides most of us to have fun listing our coins. Most of us know we don't have the finest sets. So what? It's OUR sets. Steveimage
  • Options

I wish PCGS initiate a digital imaging service for all the set registry participants who wish to post images of their coins.

After all NGC has Photo Proof.............

And PCGS hasn't got any imaging service

And the set registry forum has got.......SHYLOCK

Stewart
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Stewart
    You are right about Shylocks pics.His are probably the best I've seen.As anyone who has tried to photograph copper can tell you it ain't easy.Just get him to post his pics of your coins for you.Then you can make your set visible.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    "Assign a PCGS grade to failed crossovers that can be utilized for Registry purposes."

This is, by far, the best idea I've heard in a long while. I'm all for it! The graders at PCGS have already looked at the coin and given it a grade in order to decide whether or not to cross the coin. All it should take is a little tweaking of their slab number database. The PCGS number should incorporate the original slab's serial number in order to keep a particular coin, in its slab, attached to the PCGS grade. The Registry Set database should be able to recognize this new PCGS serial number in order to allow the coin to be entered into the Registry.

Excellent idea!
    Matt
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Stewart,

I wish for all variety sets to accept all varieties recognized by PCGS with a pop of 5 or more

No way! I'm not pulling coins out of my Frankie set!!! image
  • Options
    TTT - Perhaps homerunhall or BJ will comment?
  • Options

TDN - I have e mailed homerunhall and BJ a few days ago.

Stewart
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    How about a Registry Type set for different denominations? Maybe include the major varieties. The cent series would have quite a few coins, Chain, Wreath, Liberty Cap, Draped Bust, Matron...
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    1. Full (1909-Date) MS and MS+PR Lincoln registry sets with all PCGS recognized varieties included (now if PCGS would just recognize a few more varieties).

2. Lincoln Short Set (34-58) with recalculated (1-10) weights instead of just reusing the weights from the 09-58 set.

3. Seated Type Set.

Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options

I wish PCGS grades more Proof 70 D Cameos so that misled collectors don't pay $16,675 for a misgraded 1963 Proof Lincoln Cent

Stewart

$1,000 should be more than sufficient
  • Options
    I agree with Stewart, pcgs should make about 20 more 63 70dcam
    lincolns before this action ends and bring the price to a sane level
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb