Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Authentic, Real, Actual, Genuine "Mega" Thread

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2021 5:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do we really need Official in thread titles? Is this just a passing phase? It doesn't seem to stop repetition. How can we stop duplicate threads on the same topic?
I've seen over four on one topic....ugh.

To answer my own question, I think it would be a great idea for the poster to look through
the existing thread topics and not just jump in with another duplicate...it just makes things messy.

Maybe we do need an OFFICIAL thread for each topic....I don't know....any ideas?

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not official enough for me ;)

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must request that you remove the word “official” from your thread title. Based on a proprietary formula that is based on joined date, likes, agrees, LOLs, points, badges, posts, and wise comments from a few key participants…it has been decided that this is not an official official thread…

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

It’s official I responded to your thread! :#

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the thread about hockey referees?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 4:13PM

Good idea. I say we put GoldBully in charge of the OFFICIAL threads.
    Keep it simple, one person for each official thread.
    I believe he was one of the Official first OFFICIAL thread originators.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need someone who is around enough to edit the OP

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why stop duplicate threads on the same topic? It’s a discussion forum for goodness sake! Discussions change direction over time.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 4:52PM

@MilesWaits said:
    Good idea. I say we put GoldBully in charge of the OFFICIAL threads.
    Keep it simple, one person for each official thread.
    I believe he was one of the Official first OFFICIAL thread originators.

Miles, as much as I would love to be the 'official' official coin forum thread creator, I believe there was one forum member before me who coined that title. Of course the name slips me now.

Perhaps start fresh with a new catch word like "designated" which could be introduced on all these new Mint issues.

Or how about, "dibs on the next Mint offering thread."

On second thought, "Official thread" really speaks to the forum members.

How about this.

The next time an 'official' thread is started, we must have a 5 star 'master collector' member second the thread proposal, and have at least 3 members with minimum 3 star recognition give it a yea.

Sound plausible? I didn't think so.

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 4:57PM

Joey Crawford - One OFFICIAL who Has to be in the conversation for the OFFICIAL #1 all time NBA player ejector.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The word official has always been a joke to me. The modulators make official threads. We have fun.

Official or unofficial in the title does make it easier to search

Nothing can be done to make someone search or do it correctly

The reason we have “official” threads is one-fold

There was friction — sometimes a lot — between the classic (or non-mint) collectors and the new issue collectors. The solution back then was called the “Mega-Thread”. That has now morphed into “”official””. Either way the idea is the same, not to drown out other conversations. So if there is new news, look for that mega-thread to post into and we can see some more gtg threads.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    I must request that you remove the word “official” from your thread title. Based on a proprietary formula that is based on joined date, likes, agrees, LOLs, points, badges, posts, and wise comments from a few key participants…it has been decided that this is not an official official thread…

Okay. I will remove the word "official" from my thread title.

@MsMorrisine said:
    The word official has always been a joke to me. The modulators make official threads. We have fun.

I do find it funny too, and have a thread using Unofficial in the title as well. :D

@DNADave said:
    Why stop duplicate threads on the same topic? It’s a discussion forum for goodness sake! Discussions change direction over time.

I'm talking about duplicate threads that are basically the same. Not to prevent discussions and free speech, just to quiet down announcements of upcoming mint offerings for instance.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just do not care. It is the topic (coin) that interests me..... not the thread status. Call it whatever you want, just be sure to include the subject. Cheers, RickO

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need multiple threads for each topic so that when they inevitably get closed we can keep the conversation going.

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

How about "Original Official Authentic, Real, Actual, Genuine Uber-Mega Thread"

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file