Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stolen Coin Help

Hello all,

Recently sold an 1893-S.
7/31 - Shipped overnight - Fully Insured
...... No movement
8/10 - Filed Lost Package Claim for Insurance - Refunded buyer
8/14 - Package delivered in USPS "We Care" clear plastic bag with USPIS Letter saying contents were stolen. Arrived at destination box opened, missing.
8/16 - Claim denied - Package delivered

Not sure what to do now. Can't file a second claim because I already filed a claim. Can't edit claim because it's already submitted. The USPS Accounting Office wanted me to write a letter to get the status changed, I did that, but within 24 hours of me mailing it (obviously they didnt get it yet), they denied my claim. I am sitting here out a large chunk of money (to me) totally helpless. The 1893-S is PCGS Certified. I notified all the local dealers at my local coin show to keep an eye out.

The local PD won't do anything because the "theft" by a post office employee occurred on federal property. The OIG and USPIS have yet to contact me even though I filed cases with both of them.

I am submitting an appeal on my insurance claim, it feels like the only thing I can do at this point. Is there a national database I can report the coin stolen too? I also contacted the NCIC and haven't heard back either. $2700 might not be alot for them to worry about, but it was my most expensive coin. I am relocating and needed to sell it and now im out the coin and money, i'd like to recover one or the other.

Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the 1893S is a Morgan dollar. Anyways good luck with your claim. Have you tried the Feds?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Yes, 1893-S Morgan in G6. The Feds would be the OIG and USPIS I would assume, whom haven't had any contact me with me or anything yet. Can't talk to anyone on the phone, always just fill out this form and that form.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

It's time to keep talking to real people through non-claim website methods.

someone botched your claim. it goes without saying this is a gimme, but they aren't making it that way.

include photos of the "we care" body bag and whatever paper they stuck inside.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate news like this! A loss of that magnitude could ruin a small coin business working on slim margins. I can only suggest if you are shipping overnight to use sturdy, oversized boxes instead. Wrap completely in boxing tape. It may seem like overkill yet time is of the essence when a thief is trying to steal the contents of a package.

peacockcoins

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Have you spoken (in person) with your local postmaster? I've found mine to be very helpful in cutting through USPS red tape (though I can't say if that's a universal attribute).

• @MsMorrisine said:
    it sounds like you are doing everything you can.

It's time to keep talking to real people through non-claim website methods.

someone botched your claim. it goes without saying this is a gimme, but they aren't making it that way.

include photos of the "we care" body bag and whatever paper they stuck inside.

I just filed my appeal and attached this information, but again, the Claims/Accounting Office told me that they I need to send a physical letter in the mail..... sigh, this is 2021.

@braddick Yup, I wrap all of my boxes in layers. I won't show the picture here because it has all of mine and my buyers info on it, but someone went through alot of effort to get it open in the back room. Explains why an overnight package stayed there for 2 weeks.

@fluffy155 I've went to three different post offices, and all claim they never have a post master there when I come asking and explain the situation. It's the most frustrating thing on Earth.

Also do you have TruView that might help immensely if somebody tries to unload it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the USPS DMM:

2.0 Providing Proof of Loss or Damage
    If a claim is filed because some or all of the contents are missing or damaged, the addressee must retain the mailing container, including any damaged articles, all packaging, and any contents received. Upon written request by the USPS, the addressee must make this proof available to the local Post Office for inspection, retention, and disposition in accordance with the claims decision. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim.

Read the rest here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/DMM300/609.htm

Your best bet is to follow the rules to the letter, as best you can.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

post any pics here as well as the pcgs cert number

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • patrickahearnesqpatrickahearnesq Posts: 42
    edited August 17, 2021 1:00PM

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/21432280

No image available but my profile picture is a closeup of the front. I have to run for now but will check back in tomorrow. Thank you ahead of time everyone.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact the Postal Inspection Service and make sure you have all the documentation ready. The response you received does not make sense if the Postal Service admits the contents of an insured package were stolen while still in its possession.

All glory is fleeting.

Thats a really nice example. I wonder if you contact PCGS if they can put an alert to be on the lookout for it to all their dealers.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notify the coin shops and pawn shops in your area that a coin was stolen, and include details (cert number if you have it).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 6:29AM

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Contact the Postal Inspection Service and make sure you have all the documentation ready.

This.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's crazy. Hopefully the insurance claim gets approved and the person who stole it gets caught.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report it to the Numismatic Crime Info Center.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• @RichieURich said:
    Report it to the Numismatic Crime Info Center.

I have done this as well. I also passed out information sheets at the only local coin show this past weekend with the cert number and my contact info in case the criminal is stupid enough to leave it in the slab.

• @MWallace said:

@291fifth said:
    Contact the Postal Inspection Service and make sure you have all the documentation ready.

This.

I submitted a hotline complaint but have yet to hear one word from the USPIS.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 4:53PM

I see you sent overnight…..I worry about this all the time. I am sorry this happened.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest you contact your Post Master at your local P.O. first and then get a list from them of who to contact next. Better to start at the bottom to keep from being discarded by a top official first.
    Best of luck and keep us informed as to your progress so that we may be able to add your steps to our own library of ideas.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a member here that has had helpful insight in the past, calling @Tomthemailcarrier

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notify the coin shops and pawn shops in your area that a coin was stolen, and include details (cert number if you have it).

Not that this is a bad idea, but since the coin went missing somewhere in the USPS system, it could be just about anywhere right now.

The coin could show up at a coin or pawn shop so its always a good idea to notify as much as possible. I've got a coin shop waiting for a certain stolen SLQ to walk through its doors. Twas another recent post office theft and it was brazen. Empty box received except for inner envelope with coin in it, neatly cut with scissors. Disgusting.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this.... Working through the system can certainly be cumbersome and frustrating. Good luck. Let us know how it goes... Your painful path may help others in the future. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sucks, sorry to hear about this

Frank

BHNC #203

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear. Looks like you're doing what you can for now. What really sucks is that if/when it parts company with the slab it will be extremely difficult to conclusively prove it's your piece.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please explain how can the post office say "8/14 - Package delivered in USPS "We Care" clear plastic bag with USPIS Letter saying contents were stolen. Arrived at destination box opened, missing." and then justify denying the insurance claim? They admitted the contents of the box was stolen. When you pay for insurance you're insuring the contents of the package not the package.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thinking about that old saying “the sqeeky wheel gets the grease. If I had the evidence you do l’d hike my happy butt on down to the local post office and politely ask and not take sorry for an answer. Get some names as suggested above ⬆️ Politely but firmly climb the chain. Good luck 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

Have you tried filing a home owner’s claim? Mine is good for up to $2500 per loss. For jewelry I pay extra because it’s over $25,000. Good luck. I have coins in my Kennedy set that were stolen and recovered. The theif(s) had prices on stickers on each slab. I don’t know where they got a $3 price for a $200 coin. This was about 10-15 years ago. Good luck! Ray

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file