Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those who missed the ANA

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2021 6:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The ANA was less attended that I expected, due to the weather. I know a number of collectors that tried to attend, but flights were cancelled or serious delayed, and a good friend of mine tried with 3 different flights and all three got cancelled.

There were some highlights displayed - including the PCGS-MS65 1933 Saint-Gauden, the Tyrant's collection of U.S. coins valued at $100,000,000!! (That's, 9 digits!!! :o )

Stacks-Bowers Galleries hosted the Cardinal Collection display at booth at 201 - up front where you couldn't miss it. (That is if your flight got you there! ;)

Here's the virtual display:

Case 1:

Case 2:

Case 2:

All of these show the influence of the Flowing Hair motif! That motif is seen with the Libertas Americana medals, along with the French Liberte Francoise medals, and it spawned the early coins of the USA.

As you can plainly see, the famous Silver Center Cent bares similar flowing hair. After 4 years of researching the die states of the coin, I found that this particular coin in the display is the first one of the dies (and the only truly "regulated" coin), and was sent by Thomas Jefferson to George Washington on December 18th, 1792 (as noted in the letter in Congress). Then so the provenance of this coin stands as:

Washington - Mickley - Col. Cohen - Jenks - Dohrmann - A Lady Numismatist - other collectors - Cardinal Collection.

Comments

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Martin,
    My flight was canceled or I would have drooled. Thanks for your continuing dedication to increasing knowledge and scholarship. I know, from a few conversations we've had, how much of a kick you get out of it all :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Nice tour of the exhibit, fine photos. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

W@W

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, and wow.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing items, thanks for posting.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the excellent pictures of those amazing coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, cardinal.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I’m always tied up with Sturgis. I appreciate your knowledge and accomplishments.

• Options

This is an odd one! This IS a genuine Bronze Libertas Americana medal. It is "Mint State" condition; yet, someone planed off the fleur de lis. So far, there are only 3 of these that I have identified. I call this one the, "Brit Libertas", with the offending fleur de lis removed, so as to not "rub the Brits noses" for losing the war.

• Options

Another interesting item! It must have been made using the original dies, or from transfer dies, as it bares all of the for an original Libertas medal. The thought on this is, that the rim break under the "4" on obverse was too anoying, and needed to be covered-up. On this piece, the rim has been changed to be a rope. In numismatics, the term in a "Corded Rim."

This one is unique, with this meaning the only one made; likely it was too difficult to cord all of the others.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read about your collection going to be there. One year I will be strong enough to make it and hopefully
    you’ll have it on exhibit again. Yours is one collection I would simply love to spend time with.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

some great research and information in this thread, thanks for sharing for those of us who couldn't attend the ANA show.
    The history on the 1792 cent is amazing.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@coinsarefun said:
    I read about your collection going to be there. One year I will be strong enough to make it and hopefully
    you’ll have it on exhibit again. Yours is one collection I would simply love to spend time with.

Thanks!

Even with all of the cancelled/late flights, the display received a lot of attendees. I had an unexpected visitors - Emily Damstra, the U.S. Mint Artistic Infusion Program who created the Type 2 Reverse for the Silver Eagles, and Neil E. Musante. Emily wanted my input and to get more ideas for future designs for U.S. coinage.

Hi cardinal, I stopped by your display to admire it for a bit on Thursday, spent about 10 minutes checking it out and reading everything. Super cool stuff. I didn't realize it was yours immediately, but after about 10 seconds, the sketches hit the switch in my brain and I grinned. Nice display. :)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is always an issue for OHare this time of year - weather cancellations. I once almost missed my flight to Iceland bc my OHare connection was being delayed for thunderstorms. I made the call to just drive to Minneapolis and get the Iceland Air flight. As we were boarding, the arrivals board had 'cancelled' for my OHare to Minneapolis flight. I made the right call for an epic 2 week trip in the outback of Iceland. So this was in the back of my mind when I thought about coming to ANA - and Delta (not the airline) finally swayed me to pass. Probably again made the right call even when missing such great coins like the Cardinal's above and great company.......

Thanks for putting your efforts into your display of amazing numismatic items and history. Please do this again(?) for Winter FUN if you can..............

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Martin thanks for sharing! I especially wanted to see case #1 as they were recent additions to your amazing collection.

All the best

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extraordinary!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2021 6:27PM

@kaz said:
    some great research and information in this thread, thanks for sharing for those of us who couldn't attend the ANA show.
    The history on the 1792 cent is amazing.

@tradedollarnut
    Extraordinary!

Truly, the provenance of the 1792 Cent is amazing! Based on the die state, it is certainly the earliest die state.

Just like the SP-66 1794 Silver Dollar, the die state is conclusive. In situations like these, my motto is, "The Dies Tell No Lies!"

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick up

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing... couldn't get to Chicago but glad to see it here! Wow!

:+1:

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some amazing tidbits of history!

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 5:47PM

@cardinal said:
    Every now and then, I took a break to visit other exhibits and favorite sellers.

I happened to pick this one at the ANA - just by serendipity!!

So.....I was tending my display, and this guy comes up to me, and looks over all of the Libertas Americana medals, and then he tells me he had just sold one of the 1876 Lingg tokens with the Libertas obverse. He goes on, saying that it was a very rare token, one that is supposed to be the only known. We keep talking, and he reveals who he sold it to, and the number of that sellers booth. I rush there, and sure enough, Steve Hayden looks at me and says, you're going to want this, but it won't be cheap!! (He knows his stuff, and a truly honest seller.) I couldn't let that one get away.

It's a token made of hard bluish fiber, one that has never been photo'd in any references.

This is the second time I've read your story of picking things while tending your display!

Congrats! That's a great story and a great pick up! It found a great home!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

cardinal/Martin:

Had I known you were bringing your display to Rosemont, I would have tried harder to make it to the ANA show, not withstanding the Delta variant.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the medals but the bronze-marble piece even more. Never seen that before. It nicely compliments the collection.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal, thanks for spending time with me at the ANA and taking me through your historic collection. Its really a unique and historic dive into this historic series. Your research on the Libertas is superb.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

thats great. thanks for sharing. quite the set, and time taken to display.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file