Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grove Minting Commemorative for 2021 . . . it's the 1955 DDO Lincoln . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid, I always DREAMED of owning one of these.

Alas, even as an old man, a boy can dream, right?

Well Jared Grove of Grove Minting just gave me the opportunity to own the "next best thing."

I think he knocked it out of the park with his 1955 Lincoln Cent overstrikes commemorating the 1955 DDO's.

Kudos to Grove Minting.

https://groveminting.com/newmarket/

I just got mine today.

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s cool.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that! Thanks for sharing that.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2021 5:09PM

I just went and ordered 2, one for my Lincoln album and another that i’ll store in a way that it won’t tone or corrode. I might try putting 2 coins in the same slot in the album so when you turn the album page over you’ll see the regular wheat reverse, just for fun. 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options

This is just me thinking out loud here . . . . .

1. What a great gift for a young numismatist . . . . .
    2. If the mintage holds at 150, these will be scarcer than the "real deal" (go figure).
    3. Even if Grove increases the mintage to 650 max, there will still be fewer available than the "real deal" (I think)

Besides, what a great "hole filler" . . . . . . . .

I'll never be able to play in the sandbox that allows me to own an original.

Being an exonumia junkie, I'm just happy to have a couple of these.

The good news? You can own one too if you like.

Z

@Mr_Spud said:
    I just went and ordered 2, one for my Lincoln album and another that i’ll store in a way that it won’t tone or corrode. I might try putting 2 coins in the same slot in the album so when you turn the album page over you’ll see the regular wheat reverse, just for fun. 🌞

@Jimnight said:
    I like that! Thanks for sharing that.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

It’ll be a much better hole filler in my Lincoln album than the machine doubled 55 I have in there now 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the idea and am surprised other people haven't tried it before.
    Is the 1909-S VDB next to fill that hole too? :D

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 7:00PM

Great work by Dan @dcarr !

Jared and Dan are making some great pieces together.

• Options

As per my "normal normal" I actually got a pair of them.

Each is different and the "ghosting" of the host coin is most visible on the reverse.

Just wow . . . . . .

Z

• Options

Daniel Carr is the coin overstrike King . . . . .

Picking up one of these Grove Minting Company Lincoln's, you're picking up a Daniel Carr creation.

Twice the provenance for the money . . . . . . . .

Talk about . . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are actually really cool, ordered 2 myself. Might do the same as another poster and put it in my bookshelf album. That would also get attention as an encased coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work.... Reminds me of the real ones I had as a kid.... Told the story before... but they were in a bureau drawer and I joined the Navy..... all coins gone when I returned... Mom cleaned them out... Thought they were just spare change. Oh well... that was back around 1960. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Grove medal will probably remain popular with collectors well into the future. It looks good and has interesting subject matter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    As a kid, I always DREAMED of owning one of these.

Alas, even as an old man, a boy can dream, right?

Well Jared Grove of Grove Minting just gave me the opportunity to own the "next best thing."

I think he knocked it out of the park with his 1955 Lincoln Cent overstrikes commemorating the 1955 DDO's.

Kudos to Grove Minting.

https://groveminting.com/newmarket/

I just got mine today.

thanks for the heads up. Order confirmed

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious. The lettering in the doubling looks to be more dramatic than on the original?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good value - i bought 2 and may pop one in a Whitman album!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@oreville said:
    Just curious. The lettering in the doubling looks to be more dramatic than on the original?

I did not have access to a physical specimen of the 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent - I only had pictures to work from.
    So I used a physical specimen of a normal 1955 Lincoln Cent and then simulated the doubling during the engraving process.

I was wondering about the process on this. Before you said this I was thinking “wouldn’t an overstrike mute all details of the host coin”
    Interesting the actual die was cut in doubled fashion.

I picked up one with the intention to give it to a family member born in 1955. Last year they got a bugs bunny half from me so this should make for a good present/story.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

its got a reasonable price to it as well

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking, great price, had to get one. I've a soft spot for these as I have 2 of the real ones in my collection that I picked up about 20 years ago.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Ordered the 21st here today 24th🤓

Sorry about pictures there’s no crud in date or anywhere else just reflections 😵‍💫

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got mine in the mail today. One step closer to having an example of my forum name.

Think PCGS will holder it for me as "Forum member dbldie55"?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    Just got mine in the mail today. One step closer to having an example of my forum name.

Think PCGS will holder it for me as "Forum member dbldie55"?

Aren’t they awesome in person. I get dizzy-er looking at it 😵‍💫

• Options
    edited July 24, 2021 3:10PM

Me too 🌞

Here’s both of the ones I got. Ghost images of host coins visible on reverse of both. I’m thinking the 2nd one will be for my album

Mr_Spud

• Options

I didn't stop with the DDO Lincoln Cents.

Awaiting arrival of this beautiful piece.

Z

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

not very interesting to me, but to each their own

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    I didn't stop with the DDO Lincoln Cents.

Awaiting arrival of this beautiful piece.

Z

Interesting 🤔 (he’s reading my mind) I confess I’m thinking “thaler
    ?”

• Options

I got this one because it is the only copy I’ll ever have just like the 55😵‍💫

• Options

@silverpop said:

But I thought most everyone liked d.Carrs work. The 55 is kinda cool 😎

• Options

@silverpop said:

It's a very important historical design.

It's based upon the William Barber Amazonian Pattern.

Z

• Options
    DstnfxDstnfx Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 1:50AM

Saw this posted and had to get one for myself, just beautiful.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine about a week ago. Very cool, I like the shadow of the overstruck coin on the reverse.

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

O how I hate posting like these ..................NOT. I ended up ordering 1 of these Lincoln and 3 other items. Love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file