Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fun roll finds! Thoughts? Opinions? (please)

Hello all,

As people (my grandsons and myself) that enjoy searching rolls together I have seen the salted wheat rolls for sale all over Ebay for a long, long time. I am talking about the supposed "unsearched" estate or found underground in a barrel (which would weigh 1500 pounds but is somehow being moved around on a Harbor Freight hand truck, lol) on a farm in Pennsyltuckey rolls with bait coins on each end. Awhile back I went against my better judgement and tried a couple. I got what I expected, hustled. 48 heavily circulated wheat cents from the mid to late 50's and the two end coins. They got me!

A small coin site I frequent advertises what they label "fun rolls". They are obviously salted rolls but they openly advertise them as such. No Indiana Jones stories. The real twist is they give a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee! So, I gave one a try a couple months back. I offered $120 for a roll advertised for $130 and they accepted. In the pictures on the site the end coins were what appeared to be a real nice 1943-S Lincoln and nice D mint Mercury dime. The dime ended up being a 1939 that was quite nice. It graded MS65FB at our host. Nothing spectacular, but nice.

However, much to my joy the 1943-S graded MS67 (pic below) at our host. The real fun (if you like this sort of thing) is a few coins we found inside the roll. Among a remarkably generous array of very nice BU red cents from the 40's and early 50's there were two G Indians (1894 and 1897), another XF Mercury dime (1943-D), a 1936 Doubled Die Obverse-T1 cent, a neat looking (to us) toned (wait..."tarnished", yes, we all know) UNC 1919 cent and an UNC 1943 cent with an error or anomaly I'm not familiar with (pics of the 1936, 1919 and 1943 below).

Speaking of tarnished...aren't all brown copper coins tarnished? Sorry, I digress. ;)

We would enjoy and appreciate opinions of grade for the 1936 and the 1919 and, most of all, any factual education of the anomaly on the 1943. On the 1943 it appears that "maybe" there was a blob of zinc on the planchet prior to the coin being struck?

Thanks for the opportunity to share and learn!

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like fun.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retained cud on the 1943. Also a die crack across the shoulder on the 1943-S Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice roll finds....Answers regarding issues just above.....Great pictures by the way. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    {Retained cud on the 1943. Also a die crack across the shoulder on the 1943-S Nice!}

You can look through the list to see if your cent is listed .......
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-retained-cuds-1943/

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Southside7Southside7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Ahhh...retained cud, thank you!

Also, thank you for the link to the cud site. Great resource. I glanced through but didn't see the retained cud on my coin on the site. A closer look later.

Thanks for the kind words and education.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1936 is a nice XF40 and would be a good album coin. The 1919 tone does not look natural and I would bet that it has been dipped, cleaned, or otherwise messed with. The 1943 looks like it too has been messed with, reprocessed perhaps. I would not recommend sending in any of these three but that is your choice.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellant! I am a big fan of double dies. That 1936 is a strong f or even a low vf. The small edge nick is not too distracting IMHO. The 1919 cent is just OK, perhaps an album coin-not something that I would keep. If you got your value in fun, then your purchase was well worth it. That get's me to another point, fun value(enjoyment). I purchase coins from my local bank every week for the fun of the search. They charge me 10 cents per roll (100 rolls costs me $10.00 over face). I pay the extra $10.00 for the fun value. I do not see any difference in fun value then if I use the $10 to play a pinball machine. You play pinball machines for the fun of it. Use your fun value money in a way that pleases you. You may or may not get the monetary value back from this purchase, but the enjoyment value was well worth it. JMHO. Bob

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    The 1936 is a nice XF40 and would be a good album coin. The 1919 tone does not look natural and I would bet that it has been dipped, cleaned, or otherwise messed with. The 1943 looks like it too has been messed with, reprocessed perhaps. I would not recommend sending in any of these three but that is your choice.

Am I wrong that the 36 is one of the DDOs?

• Options

Thank you for the insight and comments! Appreciated. :)

I so agree the searching fun is the real value. Especially when sharing it with an exuberant youngster. They just lose their busy little minds over anything "different". Super fun. Equally, however, I'm pretty thrilled from a financial standpoint. The 43-S in 67 and the 36 DDO combine for a worthwhile trek, let alone the other nice BU's and silver. Makes it even more fun!

I am positive the 43 with the retained cud (see, I know my cud lingo now, lol) is all original. The images make it look different. I did nott spend any time trying to represent the surfaces properly as I was more trying to display the retained cud.

I do not suspect the 1919 of being tampered with as it does not show any of the microscopic tell-tales at the edges of the devices. That said....I have been wrong more than once in my life! In fact if I had a nickel for every time I was wrong I would have rolls of nickels to search too. A lot of rolls!

Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@coinbuf said:

Am I wrong that the 36 is one of the DDOs?

You may be correct, I did not read the full post or spend that much time looking at the photo. Certainly an amazing tale, a random roll that yields a DDO, an MS67 and MS65FB coins, sounds like a seller that is not very knowledgeable.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said: Certainly an amazing tale, a random roll that yields a DDO, an MS67 and MS65FB coins, sounds like a seller that is not very knowledgeable.

Respectfully, I do not think this is the case, in fact quite the contrary. That seems to me to be a bit of a narrow-minded negativity based assumption on your part. I have dealt with this seller for some time now and they are extremely knowledgeable, very innovative and super friendly. I believe they just enjoy doing what they can to bring something good to fellow collectors and manufacture nice relationships. There are still a few of those types left in the world!

Here is a direct "copy and and paste" I just did from one of their ads:

"Our “FUN ROLLS” are designed to be just that…fun! And what’s more fun than treasure hunting and ALWAYS making a profit? We assemble these rolls from the massive amount of nice singles we have. In addition to the end coins these rolls contain random combinations of many of the following: super-nice mint state coins (with regular 65’s 66’s and occasional 67’s), scarce dates, Indian cents, semi-key dates, minor errors, varieties and silver coins. We promise every fun roll to be worth more, often substantially more, in combined single coin values than the cost of the roll. Additionally if you have young ones you like to roll hunt with they’ll flip out over the variety of what they find in these. We create these rolls to be lucrative and, most of all, FUN and we’re positive everyone will love them. How positive? Money back guarantee positive!"

This does not sound ignorance based but, in point of fact, completely intentional to me. Personally I think it is really cool and the coin hobby could use more mutual respect and "paying it forward". There are no catches and the relationship has become very valuable in itself. Some people find giving and receiving respect and joy more fulfilling than money.

Anyway, not wanting to do anything here in this response other than express my appreciation and respect for someone that has shown that to me and my family. As I can afford them I'll certainly acquire more.

Happy collecting!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

1919 is a fairly common year for Unc. Lincoln cents. A sizeable hoard was marketed during the 1980's. I think your coin looks original. I doubt it is worth slabbing but would make a nice album coin.

The problem with lots like this is that the coins really have to be slabbed if any money is to be made and slabbing costs money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Lol don't get yourself in a twist I'm happy it worked out for you, just thinking out loud. As a business owner I understand the value of "taking care" of a client that has spent lots of money in my establishment. But giving away coins that have values well in excess of the sale price to everyone everyday is not a good or sustainable long term business model.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

coinbuf,

I am not in a twist. Please, sir, accept my sincere apologies if I came across that way. It was certainly not intended. In point of fact I greatly respect and appreciate your comments.

Again, respectfully (and not in a twist :) ) you are not thinking out loud but commenting in a public forum. You are making very broad assumptions without having any first hand knowledge and, in such, assuming another person of whom you have no first hand knowledge about may not be very smart. I expect if you are a successful business man you could equally choose to broaden your scope and think of potential ways this seller could be doing fantastic, well thought out, forward looking and intelligent things? Although I certainly agree that giving things away is not a sustainable business model that only rings true in the singular context of "loss". The fact is you have no idea what the sellers cost basis is for any of his merchandise. Further it could and would be a brilliant business move to sacrifice items that have a minimal cost basis in the context of selling them at below market value (but still at a decent profit margin) in order to gain new customers for the purpose of earning their trust through the opportunity to demonstrate a genuine dedication to customer respect and satisfaction. This becomes exponentially more true when you consider the inherent time and cost of marketing certain individual items. In that context the potential loss of (a bigger) profit in trade for manufacturing the opportunity to earn a new client is brilliant. Add to that the seller has manufactured propitiatory e-comm software from scratch, has invented engineered and manufactured the most accurate dynamic imaging I have witnessed (he even offers a free in your hand demonstration and sends the interested party free coins for the demonstration), is about to launch a made from scratch "no buyer fees" auction venue and gives free shipping and 100% money back guarantees on everything I, for one, feel this leans towards he may be moderately intelligent and dedicated to a plan much larger than placing an extra $20 in his pocket in the moment.

Anyway, in having dealt with the seller in question and learning a bit about him, his business, his goals and far above all else, his dedication to honesty and integrity I can guarantee you one thing. If you simply made contact with him for the single purpose of just connecting regarding a mutual interest in numismatics you would enjoy doing so and likely make a friend.

Happy collecting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file