Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad time to be a buyer of these. Just like new houses in my area. Unreal.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

Builders in my area are telling clients costs could increase up to 30% on new construction unless they get all materials pre-purchased.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 6:16AM

Damn, $6k $7k for an MS65 1921...

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be people have money and don't care how they spend it.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Damn, $6k for an MS65 1921...

7K. Don't forget about that buyers fee...

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 7:52AM
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:
    Lets see:
    Real estate way over valued
    Stocks way over
    Gold & silver pretty darn high
    Art way over
    popular coins ...........(fill in the blank)
    Seems pretty normal at this time to me
    Where I live real estate has been in the doldrums since 2006 and now its popping, the same can be said of coins

Yeah. I don't really understand the real estate. I'm in upstate NY. We've been losing population in NY. Yet all of a sudden, real estate jumps 30% and people are doing no inspection, cash deals.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I think it’s time to sell, not buy these coins.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

@trueblood said:
    Lets see:
    Stocks way over
    Art way over
    Where I live real estate has been in the doldrums since 2006 and now its popping, the same can be said of coins

...and then there's this: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/super-mario-64-wata-98-a-sealed-n64-nintendo-1996-usa/a/7261-28137.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 9:46AM

1) Two swallows do not make a summer.
    2) The market can stay irrational for longer than your money can hold out.
    3) Something else that sounds wise but offers no operationally-useful insights.

:#

edited to add:
    The price realized for the '34-P is for a two point upgrade by a dealer who regularly views GC lots in-hand B)
    Or a bidiot :'(
    Or, while surely not our own Ursa Major (The Big Dipper, @ricko), perhaps by one of his fan-boys intoxicated by this effulgent manifestation of argent intensity * -

noted as an effulgently indulgent manifestation of the quasi-cataloguer's descriptively intense hyperbole. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is one of the good things about getting old, is living through many of these ups-n-downs across all business sectors.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here comes a new wave of very high grade Peace $ at HA, many with CAC stickers, at next month’s ANA auction- reminds me of the Walkers

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 21 looks exceptionally well struck to my eyes, may have influenced the bidding.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    The 21 looks exceptionally well struck to my eyes, may have influenced the bidding.

That and the magic green bean.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass at that price

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

noted as an effulgently indulgent manifestation of the quasi-cataloguer's descriptively intense hyperbole.

CJ, be nice to JK, or are you downgrading him to a 'quasi'? >:)

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    @ColonelJessup said:

noted as an effulgently indulgent manifestation of the quasi-cataloguer's descriptively intense hyperbole.

CJ, be nice to JK, or are you downgrading him to a 'quasi'? >:)

Certainly not. JK's descriptions are less pretentiously and more elegantly expressed. Of even greater worth, they actually contain facts!

In a back-handed attempt at false humility, I was parodying myself as the "quasi-cataloguer".
    As has often been the case with coin dealers: guilty, but not what you suspect me of.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

CJ,
    In this hobby, one should suspect everyone. ;)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tempted to send in my PCGS MS65 CAC full-strike ‘21 Peace dollar to Ian.

thefinn
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time is now if you have the right material with G.C. to sell sell sell!!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 5:07PM

@thefinn said:
    Tempted to send in my PCGS MS65 CAC full-strike ‘21 Peace dollar to Ian.

I sold all four of mu 1921's for a tidy profit with GC in the past few months. One of them was for an obscene profit.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

**our own Ursa Major (The Big Dipper, @ricko), **

That's funny, right there....

Anyway, at least these are NICE coins. I saw what appeared to be a savvy albeit youthful flipper at FUN negotiate his way to purchasing an XF details-Polished '21 Peace dollar all the way down to $150. Ahh, the optimism of youth! I figured he was diversifying away from meme stock and crypto profits....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    CJ,

Claude Raines took a different view.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 6:04PM

@ColonelJessup said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    CJ,

Claude Raines took a different view.

So is this going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship? B)

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 6:28PM

Only if we go back on topic. This issue, and the issues this issue is having, will likely never be discussed again. >:)

After October or so of 2022.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife won't let me sell my MS65.

She says it's a big coin, the nicest coin in my collection, and I don't need the money. Her last words were, "And don't try to sell it behind my back! I'm going to ask you in five years to see that 1921 Peace dollar with the beautiful hair and toning again."

What can I say. She has had only minimal interest in my coins.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

She says it's a big coin, the nicest coin in my collection, and I don't need the money. Her last words were, "And don't try to sell it behind my back! I'm going to ask you in five years to see that 1921 Peace dollar with the beautiful hair and toning again."

Find a 22-P in 66 with similar color. When she expresses confusion 5 years from now, lie through your teeth. >:)

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it feels this good getting buried. Shovel away!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@DisneyFan said:

Find a 22-P in 66 with similar color. When she expresses confusion 5 years from now, lie through your teeth. >:)

That will not work! she immediately picked up on the high relief and 1921 is a significant year to her.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

you still have your collection of peace dollars ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Just a few nice ones that I’ve stumbled upon. No regrets about selling the set either. I used the proceeds to build a huge shop/man-cave. The value of that thing (for personal enjoyment & strictly financially) is many multiples of what the dollars would have sold for even today.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2021 5:47PM

.> @DisneyFan said:

@ColonelJessup said:

@DisneyFan said:

That will not work! she immediately picked up on the high relief and 1921 is a significant year to her.

Dear Abby called. She said you've got a helluva nice '21 Peace dollar and wishes you many years of joyful contemplation. :#

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Look you cannot deny the demand that currently exists, maybe currently is the operative here. But once demand wanes we are back to typical summer doldrums. The increasing whales how ever do not hurt. Peace dollars are now 100 years old , historically that causes demand amongst collectors although the 1909 Lincoln was expected to be a hit and it ended up not, or if anything very short lived. The Peace is a bigger piece of silver which captures far more interest. Lets see how long this upswing continues for and if it has legs like real estate, stocks, comics, are blah blah blah

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1921 was a superb coin - it attracted a lot of interest due to the quality. I don't believe that is the new price for regular 1921 Peace Dollars, even though they are very strong at the moment.

Regards,

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    The 1921 was a superb coin - it attracted a lot of interest due to the quality. I don't believe that is the new price for regular 1921 Peace Dollars, even though they are very strong at the moment.

Regards,

• Ian

For all the talk about "I buy the coin, not what the slab or sticker says", it seems that people will look at a sale (like this one) and generalize about this series being overpriced. We should not be surprised that a superb high quality coin like this one went for a strong price. Nor should we assume this collector is buried or overpaid.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 6:16AM

That buyer is buried in the 1921 $ big time. The seller must be thrilled. Sell them off.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    That buyer is buried in it big time. The seller must be thrilled. Sell them off.

You, like the rest of us, have no idea whether he's buried.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't get this market.

You can still find really nice '21s raw without that much work or luck. I have two going in for grading soon, one of which I think is a shot MS65, but more likely 64.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 7:09AM

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    That buyer is buried in it big time. The seller must be thrilled. Sell them off.

He paid at least 2x CAC CPG that’s good enough (high price) for me lol. Go buy it from him then. You have no idea he’s not.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@delistamps said:

@trueblood said:
    Lets see:
    Stocks way over
    Art way over

...and then there's this: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/super-mario-64-wata-98-a-sealed-n64-nintendo-1996-usa/a/7261-28137.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The video game market makes no sense right now.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Although likely not as noticeable in hand, I see some things around the tiara that would make me hesitant on laying top dollar down on that 1921 in 65. There were 4 bidders over the 4k range but i'm sure that has a lot to do with the cac status.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:

He paid at least 2x CAC CPG that’s good enough (high price) for me lol. Go buy it from him then. You have no idea he’s not.

Correct, I have no idea that he's not. But unlike you, I didn't make such a pronouncement, one way or the other. Two other examples have sold for in excess of $6000 since April.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spoke to the winning bidder yesterday - and he is very happy with his purchase.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:
    Lets see:
    Stocks way over
    Art way over

The money supply has increased astronomically over the last 18 month. It's flooded into equities, housing , commodities and probably trickled down to coins.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file