Home Metal Detecting
Options

Please don't do this - Treasure hunter sentenced for digging up cemetery in Yellowstone

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treasure hunter sentenced for digging up cemetery in Yellowstone
A Utah man who pleaded guilty to digging for buried treasure at a historic cemetery in Yellowstone National Park has been sentenced to six months behind bars.

Rodrick Dow Craythorn, 52, was caught searching Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery in late 2019 and early 2020, purportedly looking for New Mexico art dealer Forrest Fenn’s trove of gold, silver and gems, believed to be worth at least $1 million, according to the Department of Justice.

© National Parks Service Officials found 17 “sites of illegal excavation” at Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery.
Officials found 17 “sites of illegal excavation” at Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery. ( National Parks Service/)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2021 4:44AM

I agree with @ricko

What goes through one's head ...???

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight.... He will have a lot of time to consider the error of his ways... Or, if the fever takes over again, plan his escapades in a way he 'thinks' will not be detected. Could go either way....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

no common sense at all & pure greed. a good stiff sentence might help out

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I guess if you are going archeological grave robbing you should have a plausible excuse. "I thought the lost treasure of the Maya might be located under my local Bank of America vault..." lol

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

NEVER try to hunt on Federal property.

Don't even drive on the grounds with your detector in the trunk of your car.

When I was at Gettysburg for a metal detecting convention/hunt I know of two guys who were driving around the battle field preserve grounds. They innocently asked the ranger for information of anywhere that they may be allowed to metal detect. He asked if they had their metal detectors in the car.
    Nope, they had left them at the motel.
    Lucky them, they could have been arrested for "intent to detect'. [now our dear government can read our minds].
    If you are caught there you can:
    1) be arrested
    2) lose your car and metal detectors;
    3) be fined
    4) possible imprisonment.

And other problems, like the need to hire a lawyer.

NEVER even think about it, who knows they may read your thoughts.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a youngster in the Boy Scouts, we went to the National Jamboree at Valley Forge. A couple of guys found musket balls while trenching the tents. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

He got what he deserved. Stupid is as stupid does. Did Confucius say dat? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 9:08AM

Did the dead person rise up and turn him into the police. That’s what I would do if some guy was digging up my grave. I would probably also haunt him for the rest of his life 🧟 👻

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a maroon!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Treasure hunter sentenced for digging up cemetery in Yellowstone
    A Utah man who pleaded guilty to digging for buried treasure at a historic cemetery in Yellowstone National Park has been sentenced to six months behind bars.

Rodrick Dow Craythorn, 52, was caught searching Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery in late 2019 and early 2020, purportedly looking for New Mexico art dealer Forrest Fenn’s trove of gold, silver and gems, believed to be worth at least $1 million, according to the Department of Justice.

© National Parks Service Officials found 17 “sites of illegal excavation” at Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery.
    Officials found 17 “sites of illegal excavation” at Fort Yellowstone’s cemetery. ( National Parks Service/)

Apparently he is unaware that the treasure has already been found. O_o

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, at a National Park, I saw a park ranger place something on the top of a fence post. After he left I went to see what it was. It was a pottery shard. I didn't touch it. Looked like a setup.