Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should PCGS Designate Chain Cents as First Strike?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since chain cents were only minted over a 12 day span, we know all of them were minted within the first 30 days. Or did those early Americans blow it by not submitting to PCGS by March 31, 1793?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can still submit if your chain cents are still in their original postmarked and sealed shipping boxes.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting question.... Theoretically, one could make a case for such designation. Though I doubt our hosts would go along with it. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 1921 Peace dollars too. They were all made in a 4 day span.

:)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2021 10:36AM

@airplanenut said:
    Since chain cents were only minted over a 12 day span, we know all of them were minted within the first 30 days. Or did those early Americans blow it by not submitting to PCGS by March 31, 1793?

They may not qualify given the First Strike definition:

The PCGS First Strike program designates coins issued in the first 30* days of the Mint's release. This designation not only adds value to modern coins, but takes modern coin collecting to another level with multiple Mint releases each year.

*In rare cases, coins issued more than 30 days before submission can receive First Strike designation.

They may fail for two reasons:

1. they are not moderns
    2. they may not have been all "issued" within the first 30 days of the first release

https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole "First Strike" thing is another piece of marketing genius.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first strike designation has been rendered pointless.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    The whole "First Strike" thing is another piece of marketing genius.

That's a very polite way to put it.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

All Lafayette Dollars should be labeled as "First Strike" or "First Day of Issue" since they were all struck in one day (December 14, 1899).

thefinn
  • Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

I'm truly impressed First Strike took off, taps into the human psyche I suppose.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2021 5:11PM

@thefinn said:
    All Lafayette Dollars should be labeled as "First Strike" or "First Day of Issue" since they were all struck in one day (December 14, 1899).

That doesn’t matter. The question is whether they were all issued within 30 days. If the last issued coin was issued within 30 days of the first issued coin, then they meet the date requirement.

Given the Lafayette Dollar didn’t sell out and 14,000 of them were melted later, it seems unlikely they all sold within 30 days.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file