Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS President Charville Stepping Down

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2021 11:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Professional Coin Grading Service President Brett Charville has announced he will be leaving the company but will remain part of the PCGS team while a successor is selected.

“I’ve enjoyed and valued my time as President, and I’m ready for the next challenge,” Charville states. “This role has been the experience of a lifetime. I am proud of the things we have accomplished, and I look forward to working with the PCGS team to ensure a smooth transition to new leadership.”

PCGS is a division of Collectors Universe, Inc.

“During his presidency, Charville pursued groundbreaking projects for PCGS and was an agent for positive changes in the industry,” said Joe Orlando, Collectors Universe CEO. “His many achievements at the helm include record annual performance, significant enhancement of PCGS’ international business and the introduction of Near-Field Communication (NFC) anti-counterfeiting technology in all holders.”

Charville does not have a set date for his official departure from his role. That will depend on the process for selecting a new PCGS President and the subsequent transition period.

“I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank Brett for everything he did here at PCGS,” declares Orlando.

“Brett joined our team at a somewhat tumultuous time and battled through adversity with us during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic a little more than a year later. If you have been at a company as long as I have, losing good people from time to time comes with the territory. It’s never easy, but it’s a part of managing an ever-evolving business, regardless of the industry,” states Orlando.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-president-charville-stepping-down

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect some forumites will be sticking close by their phones

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he will start his own service?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brett,
    Fine job of advancing PCGS through the Covid turmoil. Plus, the stock was a great performer.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Brett, best of luck!

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

…their best dressed President so far…hopefully he will share his tailor and fashion sense with his successor also ;)

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I’m guessing the process of PCGS becoming privately held hasn’t completed yet?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brett and Don Willis were not terribly long, does anyone know how long David Hall was president? Was he from the beginning?

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Brett and Don Willis were not terribly long, does anyone know how long David Hall was president? Was he from the beginning?

I don't know Terry but I believe Don was president for most of the teens

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 1:49PM

@Swampboy said:

@asheland said:

I don't know Terry but I believe Don was president for most of the teens

2008 - 2018

(Santa Ana, California) November 15, 2018 – Professional Coin Grading Service (www.PCGS.com) has announced the resignation of Don Willis who served as PCGS President since 2008.

“We sincerely thank Don for his service during the past 10 years and appreciate his contributions to the company, the hobby and the profession,” stated Joe Orlando, President and Chief Executive Officer of Collectors Universe, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLCT), parent company of PCGS. Collectors Universe is the leader in third-party authentication and grading services for high-value collectibles including rare coins, trading cards, tickets, autographs, and memorabilia.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-thanks-don-willis

President Brett Charville has announced he will be leaving the company but will remain part of the PCGS team while a successor is selected.

Wonder what his new role might be.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    President Brett Charville has announced he will be leaving the company but will remain part of the PCGS team while a successor is selected.

I took it to mean he will stay until the successor is in place.

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Goldbully said:

I took it to mean he will stay until the successor is in place.

I believe I read a little too much into that quote.....you make a good point.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we can get the cacs mustard stain guy to step in?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 5:13AM

I would imagine that it would be rather awkward to step down from the Top Dog to one of the underling positions.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a short tenure. I liked his style and positive attitude. Best of luck in your new pursuits Mr. Charville. Cheers, RickO

I hope we do not see a decline in service and quality of same. My experience with venture capitalist acquisitions, at least on the government contracting side of the house, has not been positive.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Venture capitalists don't buy things with losing money in mind. It will be interesting to see what develops.

All glory is fleeting.

Concur..they also care little about long term viability of the business model imposed

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Not saying this is the case but it's not unusual when Private Equity takes over they bring in their own people. Brett's a young guy and I wish him the best

mark

I don't think CU was bought for PCGS, but rather, PSA and memorabilia authentication. That's already a larger market, and its growing faster too. I'd imagine PCGS was just a bonus in their modeling while doing due diligence. I'm almost certain cards/autos were the focus.

The holy grail for card grading would be to raise the % of people doing the registry thing on the card side.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file