Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fundamentals of Grading Theory

The ANA is holding a virtual opportunity as part of their eLearning Academy on June 21 at 10am Mountain Time. The class is titled Fundamentals of Grading Theory. It will be 2 hours in length. Rod Gillis & Ken Bressett will be the instructors. You read that correctly, KEN BRESSETT. Consider registering by going to the ANA website.

Comments

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched last year’s presentation on YouTube. It was good and worth a listen. In person classes, though, are still the best IMO. Seems that the ANA classes are different from when I took the class in 2003. There weren’t any tests or anything. The graders would walk you through any questions but sometimes you didn’t know what questions to ask.

I always remember it because both the graders were from NGC and NGC had just announced full torch designation for Roosies. I mentioned it to them and they laughed about how silly the designation was.

Hopefully I’ll have another opportunity to take the class again in the future.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a class that should not be missed if one can make the time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I watched last year’s presentation on YouTube. It was good and worth a listen. In person classes, though, are still the best IMO. Seems that the ANA classes are different from when I took the class in 2003. There weren’t any tests or anything. The graders would walk you through any questions but sometimes you didn’t know what questions to ask.

I always remember it because both the graders were from NGC and NGC had just announced full torch designation for Roosies. I mentioned it to them and they laughed about how silly the designation was.

Hopefully I’ll have another opportunity to take the class again in the future.

In person classes are without a doubt better. We named this class Fundamentals of Grading Theory because it focuses on the theory behind grading, not grading itself. I would encourage you to take the live class again. I am sure that it will be offered next year at Summer Seminar. Currently, Rod Gillis, Brian Fanton & Mike Ellis teach the class and rely on ANA grading standards. We also have a complete problem free grading set assembled just for the class.

The upcoming class with Ken Bressett is going to be great. Ken is an icon in numismatics and will talk about his role in the development of grading standards starting with his involvement with Brown & Dunn in the late 1950's. I learn something new every time I hear Ken speak.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

my opinion: brown and Dunn one of the great grading books.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    my opinion: brown and Dunn one of the great grading books.

I bought a copy of the 4th edition (1964) at the ANA book sale one of the times I was at the Summer Seminar. Cost me a whopping 75c.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2021 3:24PM

I'll have it rolling in the background while I work...thanks for the heads up!

Here is a link to the registration page:

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gwNk0IyPTN-qerJOnGXVNw

K

ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file