Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your "End of Roll"... Tape Toned Coins....

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there are some wild specimens out there....lets see them....

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Not to hijack my own thread, just wanting to share another reason that in numastics one should never use tape or glue.
    The image was a roll of short snorter notes on loan to me from the family of a WWll bomber pilot.
    Notice some of the notes would still be pretty nice it it wasn't for 1940 Scotch Tape! ,as well the old school glue in the small bottles with the red rubber tip.

Ive seen so many times old rolls of silver dollars with what I call tape toned. The tape didn't age well mostly yellowed and peeled up. As you can see on the short snorter notes.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I found raw a couple years back.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2021 4:46PM

@android01 said:
    Here's one I found raw a couple years back.

Sometimes youll find them listed on ebay.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 1885-O’s…

This one was my first $100+ purchase, making it a bit more memorable.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if tape caused the delineation across the top of the head or not. The test of the coin shows nice concentric toning, that stops at the line and becomes intermittent speckles above the line.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

55D Lincoln

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they have tape in the 1800's? I'm not much of a history buff

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

Not to hijack my own thread, just wanting to share another reason that in numastics one should never use tape or glue.
    The image was a roll of short snorter notes on loan to me from the family of a WWll bomber pilot.
    Notice some of the notes would still be pretty nice it it wasn't for 1940 Scotch Tape! ,as well the old school glue in the small bottles with the red rubber tip.

Ive seen so many times old rolls of silver dollars with what I call tape toned. The tape didn't age well mostly yellowed and peeled up. As you can see on the short snorter notes.

They sure did know how to portray and put pretty women on the currency.... once upon a time.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 7:41AM

@Steven59 said:
    Did they have tape in the 1800's? I'm not much of a history buff

Tape, as we know it today, was invented in 1845 by a surgeon. Doctor Horace Day's invention was a rudimentary adhesive bandage for his patients
    Sherman please set the Wayback to June 6, 2021 back to post 695 .

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude thanks for that tape factoid. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thank you for your service Namvet69 ! ;)

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

They sure did know how to portray and put pretty women on the currency.... once upon a time.

I just noticed ....and should of remembered that Irish pound note from 39 is a pretty expensive note in most conditions. As I recall most of the notes were in pretty good shape considering what they had been through.
    The family allowed me to research these short snorter notes as well his personal daily log book.
    I do recall that I had shared these artifacts one Trip to the Whitman show in Baltimore. @PennyGuy Bill do you remember looking these over ?
    His log entries for each sortie over Europe mostly German Cities with factories, well defended with AA and golden bb .
    Believe it or not on his 13 mission he crashed landed in a farmers field over shot the base air strip as he was flying wing on another bomber that was shot up pretty bad and its crew just about dead. By flying as a guide he over shot the run way and crashed in a field of Brussels sprouts.
    I was very honoured to be able to research all his notes and war materials. Talk about a note book you can't put down.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite kinds of toning

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the above are clearly tape toned. Some of the above are clearly end of roll toned, but not tape toned.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are nice looking coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think this qualifies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights